Thread: Janet Lynn

SkateFan4Life

Janet Lynn

One of my all-time favorite skaters was Janet Lynn. She burst onto the scene at the 1968 US Nationals and won the bronze medal at the age of 14. Lynn shocked many people by landing a triple salchow - a jump that very few women attempted at that time. Janet then won five consecutive US titles, the World bronze and Olympic bronze medals in 1972, and the World silver medal in 1973.

What I remember the most about Janet is the way she skated - or floated - across the ice. She wore a smile that reached to the top of the arena, and she seemed to wrap the audience around her arms as she skated. She was technically brilliant and also artistic. Had it not been for the compulsory school figures, which were her weakness, Janet probably would have won at least one World title, and possibly the Olympic gold medal of 1972.

When Janet won the Olympic bronze medal in 1972 in Sapporo, Japan, she astounded the audience by smiling after she fell on her flying sit spin. The Japanese audience fell in love with her, and she was flooded with telegrams and fan letters. She returned to Japan the following year for a triumphant tour and one competitive performance - the first-ever World Professional Figure Skating Championships, which was held in Tokyo.

Janet was deeply religious and always said that she viewed her skating as a way to express God's love on the ice. Her parents never pressured her to win competitions - they wanted her to skate for the love of skating, which she certainly did.

I had the pleasure of seeing Janet Lynn skate in person many years ago at a professional competition. She was magnificent. As she skated, the audience sat in rapture, and when she finished, the audience exploded in a loud ovation.

Janet was invited to Nagano in 1998 as a guest of the Japanese Skating Federation, and she addressed this group prior to the Olympics. People mobbed her wherever she went.

One of the nicest things about Janet Lynn, IMHO, was her humble, down-to-earth personality. There was no showboating, no self-promotion, no bad behavior. She was sweet, hard-working, and a gracious sportswoman who brought honor to herself, her family, her country, and her sport.

Custom Title
    If you haven't already checked out my web site in tribute to janet, here it is at:

www.geocities.com/janet_lynn_2003/

enjoy

Great site! One of the most beloved U.S. skaters of all time.

Mathman

Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy
    If you haven't already checked out my web site in tribute to janet, here it is at:

www.geocities.com/janet_lynn_2003/

enjoy
    a beautiful site and tribute to a beautiful person and skater

Custom Title

Janet Lynn

Janet Lynn was a skater's skater and one of the top five figure skaters in history, IMO.

Custom Title
    Thanks so much. I always hear her name and Michelle Kwan's name mentioned in the same sentences. Thanks for giving me more a background on her.

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing this! Isn't it something when someone's inner beauty radiates to something wonderful on the ice?

Wonderful tribute-site, essence........I enjoyed my visit there....42

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacierskater
    What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing this! Isn't it something when someone's inner beauty radiates to something wonderful on the ice?
    I'm asuming you're addressing this to me. If so, you're very welcome. I always loved to watch Janet Lynn skate, and some of my fondest memories of skating competitions are watching her compete at Nationals, Worlds, and the Olympics.
    Dick Button once said (to paraphrase) "The essense of Janet Lynn's skating was the way she moved across the ice, and the golden halo she wore over her head."

Indeed, Janet was a truly special skater.

Yes, I did address it to you. And it is nice to hear about Dick being so appreciative....do you seen any sort of physicaly similarity between Janet Lynn and Elena Sokolova...the adorable, cute smile, I mean?

I can't help but to think of Janet when I see Elena break out that smile.

SkateFan4Life
    Yes, I did address it to you. And it is nice to hear about Dick being so appreciative....do you seen any sort of physicaly similarity between Janet Lynn and Elena Sokolova...the adorable, cute smile, I mean?

I can't help but to think of Janet when I see Elena break out that smile.
    That's an interesting comparison - Janet Lynn and Elena Sokolova. However, I never made a connection between them, and I still don't. IMHO, Janet was a one-of-a-kind figure skater, with a magical quality that can't be taught.

I am not the only one who is reminded of Janet when Elena skates... not so much in how they skate (Janet is more fluid) but just their look...

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    I am not the only one who is reminded of Janet when Elena skates... not so much in how they skate (Janet is more fluid) but just their look...
    Well, OK, I can see a little resemblance, but not that much. Elena gained a lot of weight, and she did not have the look of an athletic skater, while Janet was always in fighting trim shape.

Elena's hairdo reminds me of Dorothy Hamill, but I don't think of Dorothy, either, when I see Elena skate.

Oh, well!

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Well, OK, I can see a little resemblance, but not that much. Elena gained a lot of weight, and she did not have the look of an athletic skater, while Janet was always in fighting trim shape.

Elena's hairdo reminds me of Dorothy Hamill, but I don't think of Dorothy, either, when I see Elena skate.

Oh, well!
    I did not mean so much body or skating style, just that smile that lights up the rink.

SkateFan4Life
    I did not mean so much body or skating style, just that smile that lights up the rink.
    OK, Glacierskater, I can agree with you on that!