Sasha Cohen book out March 29 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen book out March 29

gezando

Final Flight
Fire on Ice IMO is :eek:hwell: .
Fire from Ice (cold fusion) now that is more :rock:

Last edited:
Can't wait to find out what a 20 year old lady has to say about her life.

She was born. She has parents. She is doted on. She figure skates. She wins and loses medals. She has many talents.

Never abused. Never in prison. Never arrested. Never found a boyfriend. Never married. Never ran away from home. Never unhappy. Never struggled.

What do you think of this life for a best seller?

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Well MK had a best seller when she was 17 in 1998 and having read the book (I read all skating books), it was a good read despite her not experiencing everything in life.

Most people don't know the day in day out aspects of training and what goes through an athlete's mind while competing. I think just getting that sort of insight from Sasha perspective would make it worthwhile to read the book. I don't think the book will be a hard read and most people can finish it in a day over a cup (or two) of coffee at Barnes and Nobles.

Besides, how do YOU know she has never had a boyfriend? She did date Garret Lucash and she might not be a virgin (though I suspect she won't be revealing that in her book).

And as for not struggling: Sasha has dealt with injuries, moving away from home, having coaching troubles and generally feeling the pressure of not meeting everyone's expectations for her. Just because she's beautiful doesn't mean her life is all roses. Plus for young people who focus their entire lives on one goal, not meeting it is more devastating to them than it would be for an older person who has more of a life.

Last edited:

76olympics

On the Ice
I tend to look at the upcoming books on Amazon-so I looked at this. It is under 200 pages and is geared towards age 9-12 so I am a tad older than the projected audience (to put it mildly! I graduated same year as Brian B.)

The above details give you an idea of what type of book this is: "My BIG Dreams and what I have done so far--with fashion tips!" (this is my description, BTW! The book is not listed like that.) But-I won't laugh too hard because I certainly read breathlessly about Dorothy Hamill, Elaine Zayak, and Roslyn Sumner in Seventeen magazine myself back in the day.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Michelle, Tara and Sarah all had books geared toward the kids and their books were all interesting and easy to read. I always find it interesting to read about athletes and their training habits and their competitive experiences. I bet Sasha's take on fashion is quite interesting :laugh: .

Still, I like reading tabloids and skating bios. Those books aren't deep but they do give a bit of a glimpse as to what the skater is like in person.

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Can't wait to find out what a 20 year old lady has to say about her life.

Heh, I kinda had to agree. I thought much the same thing when I bought Kurt Browning's book, and realized it had been published in '92. Still, It managed to be a very entertaining and interesting read--showed a little bit about who he is (and taught me quite a bit about the basics of skating too!), so I suppose her book will be okay as well. I for one am looking forward to it.

76olympics

On the Ice
I am with you, Soogar. I have both of the Brennan books, after all and have been known to re-read them! I was just kidding about the Sasha book. I think these books for a younger audience with a lighter slant have a real place. They attract some young fans who want more details about skaters closer to their age.

You may see me hiding on a sofa at Barnes and Noble with this one!

gezando

Final Flight
cutiepatutie said:
Get a life :rofl:

Fire from Ice is a good read, and a best seller OTOH that other book probably will not be . You may want to take your own advise before dishing it out :rofl: :laugh:

Last edited:
This book may be more interesting and revealing than I expected at first. Here is an excerpt from the introduction (thanks for the link, Registered), talking about preparing for the short program at the Olympics:

"Finally they announce our warm-up group. The six of us rush forward, trying to be the first onto the ice. I talk myself through my routine as a burst of applause comes from the audience. I start to feel better, more in control. They clap for us, and especially for me, the only American in the group—the fans in Salt Lake City are incredibly supportive of all the athletes on the U.S. team."

I hadn't realized that skaters typically "rush forward, trying to be the first on the ice" for warm-ups. Is it because of all that pent-up energy, or are they trying to gain some sort of psychological advantage by shouldering each other out of the way?

Mathman

cutiepatutie

Rinkside
gezando said:
Fire from Ice is a good read, and a best seller OTOH that other book probably will not be . You may want to take your own advise before dishing it out :rofl: :laugh:
I have a very nice life Thank You and it is not sitting in front of a computer saying hateful things about someone I don't even know, and you know what? I feel very good about myself, I have respect for myself.. My mother all told us " If you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all". Now I know this is a discussion board but you really are on the hateful side when it come to Sasha. There are a lot of skaters I don't care to watch but to keep saying hateful thing about them is hurtful and I just would never do anything like that and I can't see why you would want to. :sheesh:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Interesting...

Mathman said:
I hadn't realized that skaters typically "rush forward, trying to be the first on the ice" for warm-ups. Is it because of all that pent-up energy, or are they trying to gain some sort of psychological advantage by shouldering each other out of the way?

Mathman

Interesting note MM. I'm sure no one is interested in dilly dallying since I'm sure they all have a game plan for using their 6 minutes. But what's the point of being first on the ice? I'm asking that in hopes that someone knows what the strategy might be for that - I'm not asking sarcastically.

I would say Sasha is a far better choice of a "star" for young girls to look up to than some other young "stars" I can think of. If I had a daughter I think I might be happier with her looking up to Sasha than, say, Brittany Spears - just MO.

DG

brad640

On the Ice
soogar said:
Besides, how do YOU know she has never had a boyfriend? She did date Garret Lucash and she might not be a virgin (though I suspect she won't be revealing that in her book).

She is probably also not discussing why her body has not changed at all over the years. If you look back at Michelle, Jenny Kirk and others you can see that their bodies have changed as they have matured and they had to adjust their technique accordingly. I suspect Sasha has been fighting off puberty for years to try to avoid changing her technique. This phenomenon was discussed in the book Little Girls in Pretty Boxes, mostly in regard to elite gymnasts, but it also applies to figure skaters.

soogar

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
She is probably also not discussing why her body has not changed at all over the years. If you look back at Michelle, Jenny Kirk and others you can see that their bodies have changed as they have matured and they had to adjust their technique accordingly. I suspect Sasha has been fighting off puberty for years to try to avoid changing her technique. This phenomenon was discussed in the book Little Girls in Pretty Boxes, mostly in regard to elite gymnasts, but it also applies to figure skaters.

When Sasha was with Nicks, her body was softer and rounder than it was with TT. Sasha became a stick figure when training with TT. Robin Wagner also seemed to be a stickler for keeping the weight down as well. Sasha wrote in her journal how she and Robin would go out to eat and they only took one bite of their desserts. Plus Sarah was extremely think when she was with Robin. Looking back on the pictures, she might have been bordering on an eating disorder to keep her body from developing at 16.

http://www.taniabass.com/product.php?id=sarahhughes13
http://www.taniabass.com/product.php?id=sarahhughes2

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Sarah's pictures...

There is a HUGE difference between training / eating to maintain a low body fat% and having an eating disorder. To me in the Sarah pictures, she looks muscular (lean - not bulky) and fit to me. This is just my opinion from looking at her legs, torso, upper arms.

I too (like MM) suspect that Sasha is naturally slender. I'm sure like any elite athlete, there is an "optimal" training weight for her which doesn't necessarily imply an eating disorder. Especially Sasha's legs have always looked lean and muscular (not bulky) and fit. And not every woman is destined to have, well, an endowment up top.

I hate to speculate eating disorders about anyone. But having dealt with anorexia myself as a teen, and hence knowing what happened to my own body during that time, I would be more concerned about Pang of Pang/Tong on the eating disorder front. As one sign, she appears to have a wide gap between the tops of her legs which might suggest her body has to use muscle rather than food and fat for fuel. I know I lost muscle mass, and that was an obvious area that definitely shows in a FS costume. I sometimes wonder where she gets the stamina to get through an LP. I could be, and hope I am wrong about that.

DG

There has been a lot of discussion of Qing Pang and of the Chinese pairs program generally. I have read that they try to keep their ladies under 100 pounds.

Pang is rather tall for a pairs skater. She's listed at 162 cm (about 5'4"), but I think she is at least an inch taller than that. Jian Tong is listed at 180 cm (almost 5'11") and he doesn't look all that much taller than she.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/photos/continents04/thur/pang_tong.jpg

Mathman