Oscar Predictions/Hopes | Golden Skate

Oscar Predictions/Hopes

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Alright, prediction time! I know some people could care less about the Oscars, but I'm excited this year. There are some great films and actors/actresses in contention this year. I will place the person's/film's name I suspect will win in bold, and place in italics the one I'd like to see win.

BEST PICTURE
"The Aviator"
"Finding Neverland"
"Million Dollar Baby"
"Ray"
"Sideways"

BEST ACTOR
Don Cheadle, "Hotel Rwanda"
Johnny Depp, "Finding Neverland"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Aviator"
Clint Eastwood, "Million Dollar Baby"
Jamie Foxx, "Ray"

BEST ACTRESS
Annette Bening, "Being Julia"
Catalina Sandino Moreno, "Maria Full of Grace"
Imelda Staunton, "Vera Drake"
Hilary Swank, "Million Dollar Baby"
Kate Winslet, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Thomas Haden Church, "Sideways"
Alan Alda, "The Aviator"
Jamie Foxx, "Collateral"
Morgan Freeman, "Million Dollar Baby"
Clive Owen, "Closer"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Laura Linney, "Kinsey"
Cate Blanchett, "The Aviator"
Virginia Madsen, "Sideways"
Sophie Okonedo, "Hotel Rwanda"
Natalie Portman, "Closer"

BEST DIRECTOR
Taylor Hackford, "Ray"
Mike Leigh, "Vera Drake"
Alexander Payne, "Sideways"
Martin Scorsese, "The Aviator"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm rooting for Alan Alda... don't agree with him politically, but I think he's one of the funnier men in hollywood!

unique

Spectator
BEST PICTURE
"The Aviator"
"Finding Neverland"
"Million Dollar Baby"
"Ray"
"Sideways"

BEST ACTOR
Johnny Depp, "Finding Neverland"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Aviator"
Jamie Foxx, "Ray"

BEST ACTRESS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Thomas Haden Church, "Sideways"
Alan Alda, "The Aviator"
Jamie Foxx, "Collateral"
Morgan Freeman, "Million Dollar Baby"
Clive Owen, "Closer"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Laura Linney, "Kinsey"
Cate Blanchett, "The Aviator"
Virginia Madsen, "Sideways"
Sophie Okonedo, "Hotel Rwanda"
Natalie Portman, "Closer"

BEST DIRECTOR
Taylor Hackford, "Ray"
Mike Leigh, "Vera Drake"
Alexander Payne, "Sideways"
Martin Scorsese, "The Aviator"

IMO this year's Oscar is the first that there's no front runner favorites in any catagories. The only actor I really want to win is Morgan Freeman. IMO he's such unrated actor.

unique

unique said:
IMO this year's Oscar is the first that there's no front runner favorites in any catagories. The only actor I really want to win is Morgan Freeman. IMO he's such unrated actor. unique
MORGAN FREEMAN is arguably the best American actor!! Not just my opinion.

Absolutely. It's a tough group for the "best" of anyone.

With Depp's body of work, I believe he is becoming the next best American actor. Not many of those nominated could do a Scotsman in a small film.

Eastwood is rapidly passing Scorcese for fine films but Aviator is a BIG movie and they generally get the nod. If you look at the list of films that did not win an Academy Award through the years, you will see how Big films win over much better films. Not that I am saying Aviator is a bad film. It isn't, but it can not get the nuances of the others including Sideways, another small film.

But for the TV show, there is always the boredom leading up to the announcement of the last winner. I'm not a red carpet fan but I will be interested on your take of the fashions.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
I thought I would make a should/will list.

Best Picture:

Should: M$Baby Will: The Aviator

Best director:

Should: Eastwood Will: Scorcese

Best actor lead:

Should: JamieFoxx Will: Jamie Foxx

Best actress lead:

Should: Swank or Staunton (I have not seen Vera Drake) Will: Hilary Swank

Best supporting actor:

Should: Clive Owen Will:Morgan Freeman

Best supporting actress:

Should: Laura Linney Will: Cate Blanchett

Can someone explain to me what was so great about Virginia Madsen's acting in Sideways? IMO there were at least 2 performances that were better in this category (Sharon Warren in 'Ray' and Meryl Streep in 'The manchurian candidate'). Hers is the only nomination (besides the Aviator for best picture) I have a problem with. If she actually wins it will be a travesty.

Vash

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Of the movies I saw Finding Neverland is my favorite and Johnny Depp stole the show as far as I am concerned. The rest of the contenders can go home. However, this is Hollywood afterall, so we all know the outcome. Million Dollar Baby was better than I expected and I won't be surprised if Clint scores most of the Oscars. On the other hand, Aviator is the type of movie the Hollywood executives go for and Scorsese is overdue an Oscar or two so.....guess we will have to wait and see.

Vash01

Medalist
Exactly my thoughts Ladskater. I liked Finding neverland better than any movie this year, and I don't understand why it is not one of the front runners. I totally disliked the Aviator. It has no soul at all. I was grateful when the movie ended. OTOH Finding Neverland touched me deeply (along with M$B and Ray).

brad640

On the Ice
I don't know who is going to win. It seems like a pretty wide open year. There were many great movies this year. These are my personal choices, not necessarily what I predict to win.

Best Picture: Ray
Of the 5 nominees, this is the film that I enjoyed the most. I loved the performance of Sharon Warren who played Ray's mother. This was her first film role and she was so believable, especially in the scenes where she confronts her son’s blindness and decides he has to learn to do things for himself. She also achieved an astonishing physical presence for the film. Her thin, sinewy arms look every bit like someone who worked with their hands every day of their life. I was very touched by the story of how she equipped Ray to overcome such adversity to go on to greatness. I have no idea if this was a realistic portrayal of Ray Charles’s story, but it was an amazing nonetheless.

Best Director: Mike Leigh, Vera Drake
Leigh did a great job recreating the feeling of 1950’s London. Even the smallest performance and detail in Vera Drake is completely convincing and true to the era.

Best Actor: Don Cheadle, Hotel Rwanda
Hotel Rwanda was my favorite movie of the year, mostly because of Don Cheadle’s performance.

Best Actress: Annette Bening, Being Julia
Very entertaining and delightfully over the top. Imelda Staunton as Vera Drake is a close second

Best Supporting Actor: Thomas Hayden Church, Sideways
Great charisma and a hilarious and touching character
Note: I love Morgan Freeman and I would be tempted to vote for him in this category based on past performances, and he should have already won for lead actor in The Shawshank Redemption. However, he was shamefully underused in Million Dollar Baby in an underwritten role where he serves as the narrator. It probably would have been a much better film with him playing the Clint Eastwood character.

Best Supporting Actress: Laura Linney, Kinsey
My favorite performance in this category was not nominated (Sharon Warren, see above), but I though Laura Linney helped humanize the ideas presented in Kinsey.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Before Sunset
Actors Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke collaborated with director Richard Linklater on this screenplay that is basically an extended conversation between two intelligent people

Best Original Screenplay: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
This was a sweet love story that was unfairly overlooked in many other categories

Cinematography: House of Flying Daggers
Brilliant use of the full spectrum of colors

Art Direction: Lemony Snicket’s a Series of Unfortunate Events
Imaginative and fun design work

Costumes: The Aviator
Should win for Cate Blanchette and Kate Beckinsale’s gorgeous gowns

Score: Finding Neverland
Memorable themes and great use of choral ensemble. I also loved the nominated scores from The Village, Lemony Snicket and Harry Potter.

Song: Follow Your Path from The Chorus
This is a beautifully written song performed in the film by a children’s chorus. I cringed when I read that the performance at the Oscars would feature Beyonce.

Antilles

Medalist
Here's who I think will win, not necessarily who I want to win:

Best Picture: Aviator
Best Director: Scorsese
Best Actor: Jamie Foxx
Best Actress: Hilary Swank
Supporting Actor: Morgan Freeman
Supporting actress: Cate Blanchett

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Exactly my thoughts Ladskater. I liked Finding neverland better than any movie this year, and I don't understand why it is not one of the front runners. I totally disliked the Aviator. It has no soul at all. I was grateful when the movie ended. OTOH Finding Neverland touched me deeply (along with M$B and Ray).

Aviator is one of those big epic movies that Hollywood goes for. Finding Neverland is a gentler type of movie. It made me weep. I prefer Finding Neverland to all the contenders.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The one I am rooting for is Maria Full of Grace for best foreign movie.

Brad640--A film fan after my own heart. Mike Leigh rules! And has ruled for decades. Not a lot of people's cup of tea, but if you want a movie that sends you out understanding the real world more than you did when you went in, but still manages to be transcendant, Mike's your guy. For those who've never seen a Mike Leigh film, think a quiet, living room version of "Raging Bull."

Okay, I'll play WILL/SHOULD:
BEST PICTURE
WILL: "Million Dollar Baby"
SHOULD: "The Aviator"
REALLY SHOULD: "Raging Bull" (Okay, so I'm still holding a grudge after 25 years)
Just saw "Raging Bull" rereleased at the gorgeous huge-screen Zeigfeld Theater in NY on 2-16 and a week later saw "Million Dollar Baby." I realize they are very different kinds of films even though they have the subject of boxing in common. [READ NO FURTHER IF YOU LOVED "MILLION DOLLAR BABY" AND DON'T WANT TO READ AN RGIRL RANT.] But having seen "Raging Bull" again so recently, it made "M$B" seem that much worse.

Personally, I found "M$B" to be an absolute embarrassment. What a seriously obsequious piece of sentimental schlock. And that sentence was intended to be as bad as the movie. "M$B" was, IMO, basically a $100 million dollar TV movie-of-the-week. I kept thinking of the scene in "Network" where Catherine Manheim is reading synopses for potential TV shows the network executives like; i.e. "Crusty but lovable [cop, doctor, boxing trainer] who is wrestling with long-held guilt butts heads with tough but lovable underdog..." with every synopsis being the same theme with different subjects.

That's how I felt about "M$B." Eastwood is the crusty but lovable boxing trainer wrestling with long-held guilt butting heads with the tough but lovable underdog, Hilary Swank. Morgan Freeman rounds out the trio as the down-and-out old fighter with a heart of gold, the wisdom of the ages, and to top it off, sleeps in a little room in the gym on a cot--but still gets HBO Premium, lol! Actually, I liked the HBO touch. But the rest of it--let's call it "Requiem for a Lightweight Soap Opera."

As for the performances: Based on Swank's one-note (or should I say "one-punch"?) performance, I wanted to call the movie "Raging Camille" or "Sugar Ray Love Story," "Upper Cuts of Endearment," or "Punched on the Fourth of July." All boos and hisses welcome and deserved. :biggrin:

Eastwood can still get the wit out of a scene with a wink rather than a big elbow in the side, and do a paralysis, amputate, death scene keeping the power in NOT barfing the emotions all over the place. Great actor, some excellent scenes, a lot of good lines, but overall awful material.

Joe, as you noted, ITA that Morgan Freeman is one of the greatest actors in the world. Anybody who can say that insufferable and ridiculous narration with such believability and real heart deserves an Oscar.

Also Joe, since you asked about fashion, here's the Rgirl Fashion Enforcement Agency assessment:
First of all, this was the year of the Barbie chanteuse dress aka the mermaid style,, i.e., strapless, skin-tight bodice, hips, and legs down to a flair of fabric coming out from just below the knees. Some were pure mermaid, some were mermaids with fins, that is, a train. If the star had the bod, this style made her into "Hello, gorgeous!"

This has also been the year of the brunette since fall. Trends are part of Hollywood, but jeez, ladies. When your skin tones, eyes, and everything about you says blonde, screw the brunette trend. Some women had great dresses but bad hair or bad jewelrey, so I'm giving the Rgirl FEA Oscar for (cliche coming) the Total Package. The nominees are:

Renee Zellweger: Gorgeous crimson lipstick red mermaid/fin dress, figure to die for, and nice neat pulled up hair--but Renee succumbed to the brunette trend. I don't think the hair color worked for her. Maybe a darker blonde, but brunette, no.
Virginia Madsen: Midnight ocean blue Versace couture mermaid dress with alternating satin diagonal swirls. Amazing color and the swirls on the bias added texture. Plus Virginia eschewed the brunette trend and kept her blonde locks. Loved the color, but the do was a little casual for the dress and the event. And the earrings were so big that they threw off the balance of the outfit.
Scarlett Johannssen: Man, I DIG this chick!:rock: First of all, she went even blonder rather than going brunette. I loved the curls and upswept do (the texture of her hair is amazing, like spun silk) and especially the diamond brooches in the hair. (I am officially retiring the word "bling" from at least my vernacular unless I'm talking about harps or doorbells.) SJ wore a black Barbie dress and what I especially loved was, when asked, she said she really could not breathe in the dress but as long as you could hold your breath for the whole show, it didn't matter, being the Oscars and all. Scarlett, you da atom.:love:
Halle Berry: Another Barbie dress with a three-tiered look of a diagonal bust and waist on the bias, as well as the gown out to the flair. The problem I had with the dress was the color. On my TV it looked beige. I heard later it was taupe, and later still that it was silver. Whatever the color, I'm hoping it looked better live than it photographed.

Non-Barbie Dresses (EDIT: Oops, after seeing the photos, which showed the entire dress, some of them turned out to be Barbies after all. Guess that's why I'm not Steven Kochakaroo):
Laura Linney: This girl definitely went beige. The bottom of the dress was finished off with an asymmetrical crush of feathered ruffles, which I can't believe I didn't hate. Didn't love 'em, but I think they were small enough and few enough that they didn't make her look like an overly decorated birthday cake. Not great, but not bad.
Charlize Theron: The overly decorated birthday cake look belonged to the incredibly gorgeous Charlize, who must have to work really hard to look not incredibly gorgeous (other than six hours of make-up for "Monster"), which I felt she did tonight in this '50s party-gown dress. Theron did go with the brunette trend and if anybody should stay blonde, it's Charlize. The look is so jarring with her skin tones. It was like when they made Angelina Jolie a platinum blonde for that forgettable film "Life or Something Like It" or something like that--I forget. Still, even in dress and hair I didn't like, it's hard not to call Charlize stunning.
Salma Hayek: Va-va-va-Voom! Number 1 (and 2) decolletage of the night, all glittering Hollywood glamour in sparkling black; Salma being one of the actresses who was born as not only a true brunette but is even a natural blackette with hair like midnight black satin, which she wore in a perfectly upswept do touched off with bangs and just mussed enough to look like she'd been backstage having a very good time with someone.:love: The pal I watched the Oscars with dubbed Salma the Official Mojo Woman of the Oscars.
Penelope Cruz: Another natural Spanish blackette whose beautiful skin was offset wonderfully by the golden satin yellow strapless gown with just the right length of train and just the right sized bow in the back hanging below the hips. In the opinion of the Rgirl household, she was outshone by Salma, but I would kill to come in second to Salma the way Penelope did.
Cate Blanchett: Stunning, stunning, stunning. This woman is style incarnate. Another asymmetrical one bare shoulder dress, with neckline perfectly calibrated to Cate's bust, if you know what I mean--no fears of having the wrong thing "pop." I LOVED the large tendriled sparkling brooch on the strapped side. The canary yellow in satin was lovely and the chocolate satin waist band with the faux belt detail was a perfect accent. Details like this make Blanchett a natural fashion icon.
Beyonce: If Beyonce wanted to have a last name she should just use Unbelievablybeautiful, since that's what people usually say after Beyonce. Or else just make Beyonce an adjective meaning "gorgeous." Unfortunately, by the time she wore her black with silver sparkles Barbie dress for her duet with Josh Groben, we'd already seen about 50 of them, which made it lose some of its impact. But her first two dresses were unbelievably beyonce.

Though she doesn't win the Rgirl FEA Oscar, the following star does come in second: Kate Winslet. The periwinkle color of her gown (at least it looked periwinkle on my TV) photographed amazingly well, I loved the shirred front over the front of her waist going into the jeweled piece down the center, which echoed the jeweled clasps on the straps. I also love the fact that an actress that is known for being more figure than bone, and who has been very vocal about hating the Hollywood "You can never be too thin or too thin" obsession and will not go gently into that low-cal diet, looked so knock-out beautiful. Winslet truly is the eternal sunshine in an awfully spotty, and skinny, Hollywood.

THE RGIRL FEA OSCAR FOR BEST OVERALL LOOK GOES TO: HILARY SWANK:clap: She was perfection. Simple but dramatic. Glamorous without glitter. (Nothing against glitter, just tough to pull off glamour without it at the Oscars.) The dark midnight blue dress was a work of art of shirring. From the front, I was wowed by the cut and form fit of the dress, the small diamond earrings, the hair sleekly pulled back, and the minimal make-up. As much as I love Kate Winslet's curves, I also love Hilary Swank's bone and muscle. And then (drumroll) she turned around. Wow-wow-wow-WOW!!! The back that went down, down, almost all the way down and the back that was in that back! Jeez, boy howdy, was that training ever worth it! Not to offend anyone, but while she's in this kind of shape, I hope the right artist paints and the right photographer photographs Hilary in the nude. I don't mean PLAYBOY type stuff at all, but IMO her body is a work of art and I'd just love to see it preserved for the ages by someone with an artist's eye. (Would love to see them do Winslet, Berry, Theron, and Johannssen, too, BTW.) Swank was great old time Hollywood glamour at it's best. It was worth hating the movie just to see her win the Oscar in that dress.

BEST DRESSED MEN:
Da Winnah: Leonardo DiCaprio. Both classic and contemporary. Classic with the satin lapels on his tux, contemporary with the straight tie.

Duh Losah: Johnny Depp. Johnny, we hardly had ye. Last year you showed up at the Oscars for the one and hopefully not only time in a real deal tux and looked even more gorgeous than Johnny Depp. But this year it was back to the funky off-the-rack vintage look. Even your 2-and-a-1/2 son hated your shoes. Johnny Depp, your work and the way you live your life bespeaks who you are. It's gagging the Johnny (and the audience) for you to wear offbeat suits and duck-do your hair for the Oscars. Hollywood ain't gonna give you an Oscar (and don't lie, we know in your heart of hearts you want one, if nothing else for Betty Sue) if you keep dressing all silly like that. It can still be a cool unique tux without being plaid. Okay?

Okay, now for the sidebar stuff:

BEST ACTOR
WILL: Jamie Foxx, "Ray"
SHOULD (TIE): Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Aviator"

Jamie Foxx will win, IMO, for his body of work this year, a year in which he really broke through, and also as much for playing Ray Charles, who was both beloved his entire performing life and died also died only about two years ago. I thought Foxx did more of an imitation of Charles vs. Blanchett's approach, which was to play the character "Katherine Hepburn." I prefer the latter. But there's no way Foxx will lose unless there's some kind of weird split or, heaven forbid, a return to Hollywood of rampant racism. It's not that I don't think Foxx did a good job, it's just that when I think of the movie and Foxx's performance without the music (which was Charles's voice), there isn't much there, IMO. Also, I was always aware I was watching Jamie Foxx do Ray Charles. I never got lost in the performance. JMRxn.

The reason I think DiCaprio should win is that I did forget I was watching Leo as he played Howard Hughes. Also, DiCaprio took a person who many of us knew only as an icon of mental and physical illness, i.e., the long hair, living naked in his Vegas suite, finger- and toenails so long they cureled around on themselves. (I saw fingernails like this once on a fashion photography editor at a table next to me; it is absolutely grotesque.) DiCaprio brought us the 21-year-old kid who freakin' owned the world; wielded power like we wield dimes and nickels; bedded the most beautiful and powerful women in the world; engineered with vision and brilliance the aviation industry as we know it today; and yet already was finding himself terrified of the germs on a bathroom door.

DiCaprio also had to gradually slide into the madness of Hughes's obsessive compulsive disorder and who knows what else, which I found heartbreaking. Every time I think of certain scenes of "The Aviator," it hurts my stomach. I didn't have that kind of visceral reaction to Foxx's performance--not that my stomach should have hurt, but Foxx's performance didn't move me. Foxx impressed me, but Leo moved me. That beautiful and frightening ending of Hughes saying, "The way of the future," over and over. I thought it was so incredibly layered, full of both heart and intellect, as well as truth and depth. It gives me goosebumps. It scares me. It dazzles me.

Don Cheadle. He WAS the movie "Hotel Rwanda."

BEST ACTRESS
WILL: Hilary Swank, "Million Dollar Baby"
SHOULD: Imelda Staunton, "Vera Drake"
Admittedly it's hard when you hate the movie to root for the actress who starred in it. If you care, see my rant on "M$B." Nothing against Swank. I think she's truly gifted and very much like a thoroughbred horse. She's not a Meryl Streep who can do anything. To me, she's the type of actress who will be able to do the kinds of roles virtually no other woman can do.

Imelda Staunton. Another actress who has worked a lot with Mike Leigh and as usual, the performance is impeccable. If you don't know and are interested, Leigh never starts a movie with a script. Ever. The closest he came was "Topsy-Turvy" because he knew it would be about Gilbert and Sullivan and incorporate rehearsals and performances of "The Mikado." But virtually every other time, Leigh gets a group of actors in which he's interested and has them improvise until characters, relationships, and situations start to organically emerge. Combine that approach with the experience and training of a British actress such as Staunton and you've got me weeping in the aisles. Mike Leigh's movies and the performances of his actors stay with me in my bones.

A note about Annette: Poor Annette Bening. In films such as "The Grifters," "Bugsy," "Valmont," and "American Beauty" she gave performances that were all Oscar-worthy. Unfortunately, her "Julia" in "Being Julia" was not one of them. I would have ranked the Best Actress nominees as follows, from first to fifth:

Let's hope Hollywood doesn't send Bening off to the actress retirement home and that another script comes her way that will allow her to demonstrate her acting chops in a year when Hilary Swank ISN'T nominated. :p

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
WILL: Morgan Freeman, "Million Dollar Baby"
SHOULD: Alan Alda, "The Aviator"

Morgan Freeman, as Joe said, and with which I agree, is one of the greatest actors in the world today and he was the best thing in "M$B." He read that terrible narration and gave it both depth and heart. So maybe I should change Freeman to WILL and SHOULD.

But--Alan Alda was cruel, captivating, and yet I came away with empathy for him, even though he was the very embodiment of self-interested and self-absorbed power, using those flipper hands of his as if they were harmless but at the same time could slit his enemies' throats like a razor. A bravura performance--not in the way you mean, though, Joe. ;)

Loved Thomas Haden Church in "Sideways," too, but not enough for an Oscar in this group. Glad he got an Independent Spirit Award, though, and did he win the Golden Globe? Can't recall.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
WILL: Cate Blanchett, "The Aviator"
SHOULD: Cate Blanchett, "The Aviator"

Imagine being asked to play Katherine Hepburn a year after she'd died? Cate Blanchett, if nothing else, has brass. Actually, the way she played Hepburn reminds me why I wasn't crazy about Jamie Foxx's "Ray Charles." As I said, I felt Foxx was doing a dead on imitation of Ray Charles whereas Blanchett was playing a character named "Katherine Hepburn." I prefer the latter. JMO. Also, was glad to see Blanchett win an Oscar after she got rooked in 1998 when she didn't win the Best Actress Oscar for "Elizabeth." Nothing against Gwyneth Paltrow, but her work in "Shakespeare in Love" (another weakling film) simply didn't compare to Blanchett's role as Elizabeth I. Cate looked great; she won for a very difficult role in which she did a superb job; and she was very elegant in her acceptance. Cate's great! And Kate H. is, I'm sure, very proud, wherever she is.

BEST DIRECTOR
WILL: Clint Eastwood, "Million Dollar Baby"
SHOULD: Martin Scorsese, "The Aviator"

I was writing this earlier, lost this part of it, so now as I'm rewriting I know Eastwood won. But I didn't change my WILL/SHOULD choices. I love Clint the actor and when he did "Unforgiven," I happily thought he would be a no-nonsense "We all deserve it" director. But since then all he's done is sentimental schlock, even in the seemingly hard-a## movie "Mystic River," which is in fact very sentimental. Hollywood loves sentimentality, Clint's a Hollywood guy, he's paid his dues, most people love "M$B"--Best Director for Clint was a done deal.

But I really, really hate the fact that Clint Eastwood has two Best Director Oscars for two crappy movies while Martin Scorsese has no Best Director Oscars for at least seven worthy films.:banging: However, the Academy honored no less a director than Sidney Lumet, who never won any kind of competitive Oscar either, plus there are many other great directors who never won a BD Oscar, Alfred Hitchcock, to name one off the top of my head, so Marty's in good company. Anyway, I guess that's the way things work in Hollywad, which is why I guess people like Scorese, DeNiro, and others stay in New York. BTW, none of this takes away my love for the equally gifted and equally different Mike Leigh.

In the "How the Hell Did That Happen?!" category, the winner is: Taylor Hackford, "Ray" for "How the hell did Taylor Hackford get nominated for Best Director?" This guy had a three-movie run of "An Officer and a Gentleman," "Against All Odds," and "White Nights." ARRRRRGH!!! :disagree: :disagree: :disagree:

BEST PICTURE
WILL: "Million Dollar Baby"
SHOULD: "The Aviator"

Already did BEST PICTURE, but now that I know the outcome, I recalled this thought after seeing "M$B": "If I hate it, it will win."

You're all lucky that I'm too tired wax Rgirl rhaphsodic about why "The Aviator" is the superior film compared to every other nominated film. So I'll just say this:
1980: Robert Redford's "Ordinary People" wins over Martin Scorsese's "Raging Bull."
2005: Clint Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby" wins over Martin Scorsese's "The Aviator."

Rgirl

Fame is a vapor; popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. - Mark Twain

Last edited:

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I really enjoyed the Oscars last night and the new format. Although, I was really disappionted there were no surprises. Everyone won that was predicted. I truely thought that there would be a surprise in the Best Actress category. Either Imelda Staunton or Benning being the upset. Oh Well..... Rgirl, I truely agree that Cate Blanchett should of won her first Oscar for Elizabeth.. Not Gweneth P for Shakespear in Love. Others that won recently that shouldn't of:
Winner: Halle Berry Should of won: Sissy Specek
Winner: Julia Roberts Should of Won: Elen Burnsten (Her performance in Requiam for a Dream is one of the best performances of all time)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Great post RGirl! :agree: :cool: :rock:

The color of Kate Winslett's dress was so dreamy and looked gorgeous on her. One of my favorites of the night for the color alone. Also, it reminded me of a MK skating costume, LOL. As for Charlise Theron such a beautiful girl but the dress looked like Patty Simcox' dance dress from "Grease". Did the black hat with the tassell that Spike Lee wore have some meaning or was it just bad taste? I couldn't decide if he was going for the Shriner or Scarlett O'Hara's drapes look ?:scratch: :unsure:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Why bother watching the Oscars when we have RGirl? :laugh: :biggrin:

Did you notice that the ladies wearing those "Barbie" dresses actually looked like life-sized Oscars themselves? :biggrin:

The women just look so emaciated--it's just wrong on so many levels. I'm planning on having a little talk with RG Jr.--a curvy pre-teen--thank heavens--on this subject. I agree about Kate Winslet--she's gorgeous and radiant. That girl has been around a plate or two of lasagne--good for her!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Actually, Charlize Theron's dress looks exactly like my mothers Sr Prom dress from 1964. LOL I still have it bagged in my attic. Maybe its worth a fortune! lol

equestrianguy said:
I really enjoyed the Oscars last night and the new format. Although, I was really disappionted there were no surprises....Oh Well..... Rgirl, I truely agree that Cate Blanchett should of won her first Oscar for Elizabeth.. Not Gweneth P for Shakespear in Love. Others that won recently that shouldn't of:
Winner: Halle Berry Should of won: Sissy Specek
Winner: Julia Roberts Should of Won: Elen Burnsten (Her performance in Requiam for a Dream is one of the best performances of all time)
:clap: :clap: :clap: for Cate Blanchett's portrayal of Elizabeth I in "Elizabeth." With you all the way, Equestrianguy.

I didn't have a problem with Halle Berry winning the Oscar for "Monster's Ball." For my taste, it's one of the most subtle and sexually courageous performances I've ever seen. But on the other hand, Spacek's portrayal of the mother in "In the Bedroom" was also one of the most subtle and emotionally courageous performances I've ever seen. I really had it as a tie. Had I been a voting member of the Academy, I think I would have really agonized over this one.

I wouldn't have wanted to give the edge to Berry because she was black, which ironically is only because she got her father's pigmentation genes rather than her mother's. She just as easily could have the skin tone of Nicole Richie, whose father is black and mother is white. Sorry if I'm not using the PC nomenclature. Black and white is just more succinct--and you know how I love to be succinct. :laugh: On the other hand, I wouldn't have wanted to give the edge to Spacek because she was 52 years old and had never won an Oscar. NOTE: I've just been informed by new "Jeopardy" champion, Piel;), that the info in the previous sentence is ding dong wrong! So, as you'll see in Post #20, I must change my argument to the following: OTOH, since Spacek had already won a Best Actress Oscar for 1980's 'Coal Miner's Daughter,' that would have broken the tie for me in favor of Berry--fair or unfair.

In the end, I think I would have voted for Berry for reasons that sadly have nothing to do with Berry and Spacek's acting, but rather for the racism against African-American actors have been subjected to since plays on film began. Think "Birth of a Nation." The reason should be the acting and acting only (or whatever category), but in the case of a tie, which it was between Berry and Spacek in my mind, I have no problem using social justice as a reason to break the tie. As Berry said herself in her tearful acceptance speech (paraphrasing from memory), "This moment is so much bigger than me."

Perhaps Spacek's emotional courage merited the Oscar more than Berry's sexual courage, but IMO there are times when factors combine to make a certain time and place the right time and place to break down a longstanding barrier. I felt those factors came together for Berry's performance in "Monster's Ball" to blast through the wall of racism in Hollywood and thus change, at least a little bit, racism in the whole country. I'm sorry Sissy Spacek lost for a deserving performance, but from what I know about Spacek and her husband, artist and scenic designer Jack Fisk, I think she would have known there was a much larger issue at stake than an acting award. JMO.

But man-O-man, do I ever agree with you 100% that Ellen Burstyn wuz ROBBED!!! for her '00 performance in "Requiem for a Dream." Personally, I've never "gotten" Julia Roberts' superstar status. Her best work to date is still "Pretty Woman," which was 80% director Garry Marshall fighting to get her to do every funny bit people remember, 19% Richard Gere's true skill at romantic comedy, and 1% Roberts. Roberts didn't even want to blow her nose for the scene when she was crying to Hector Elizondo's concierge character when the snobby Rodeo Drive saleswomen wouldn't wait on somebody who looked like a Sunset Strip hooker. Couldn't they see that heart of gold beating in her chest?

Anyway, I thought "Erin Brokovich" was a well-directed mainstream film and Roberts certainly brought in the audience to a movie that otherwise would have probably gone unnoticed. But I think there are many more actresses with true sex appeal who could have hit that role out of the park if not the galaxy compared to Roberts' dress-up doll interpretation. Plus, Brokovich is a very street savvy woman, very intelligent, and the plaintiffs she was working with implicitly trusted her. These are not qualites Roberts has as an actor and doesn't seem to have as a person. What she does have in Hollywood is popularity. She makes a lot of money for a lot of people, she's pretty and pleasant, very uncomplicated, and in Hollywood, that gets you an Oscar, baby.

Ellen Burstyn, OTOH, was a wonder to behold in "Requiem for a Dream." Even people I know who didn't like the movie (okay, they're my relatives) still say things like, "But boy, the woman who played the mother was really something! At the end, she just broke my heart." I can only think of a couple of British actresses-- Brenda Blethyn and Miranda Richardson--who could possibly even come close to what Burstyn did in this role, which I think requires the actress to let herself become completely emotionally naked and relinquish all her deeply held mechanisms of dignity. IMO, it's one of the most difficult roles for an actress since film began. Burstyn losing the Oscar to "Pretty Brokovich" (nothing against Roberts personally) was a huge, shoot-the-TV, Hollywood heist.

Thanks for your comments. :) BTW, ROFL re your comment that Charlize Theron's dress is exactly like your mom's 1964 prom dress. And "Entertainment Tonight" had her as #1 Best Dressed. And that's why I keep my butt in New York.

PIEL! :rofl: :clap: :rofl:
I have no idea what Spike Lee is doing EVER with the crap he wears, but your "I couldn't decide if he was going for the Shriner or Scarlett O'Hara's drapes look?" comment had me laughing so hard I almost hurt myself.

RGAL: Why bother watching the Oscars when we have RGirl?
RGIRL: Well, everybody could[/B[ watch the Oscars, but why doesn't "Entertainment Tonight" hire me (actually YOU and me) to do the play-by-play and the Monday-morning garter-belting and pays us Hollywood-sized bucks. We'd be great! I'd run my mouth off and you'd hit the nail on the head with perfect one-liners.

RGAL: Did you notice that the ladies wearing those "Barbie" dresses actually looked like life-sized Oscars themselves?
RGIRL: Yep, no genitals on them either.

RGAL: The women just look so emaciated--it's just wrong on so many levels. I'm planning on having a little talk with RG Jr.--a curvy pre-teen--thank heavens--on this subject. I agree about Kate Winslet--she's gorgeous and radiant. That girl has been around a plate or two of lasagne--good for her!
RGIRL: "So wrong on so many levels"--so true. Good for you for talking to RG Jr., though naturally it doesn't surprise me that you would, knowing the mom that you are. If only more mothers would (a) talk to their pre-teen daughters at all, I mean about more than what time they have to pick them up from whatever practice or lesson, and (b) talk to them about how life has nothing to do with trying to weigh less than 100 lbs. your whole life. Sadly, too many mothers whose weight is perfectly fine and whose daughters' weights are perfectly fine, thin even, who "bond" by dieting together.

I'm not talking about the clearly obese parents whose children are also on their way to obesity because of eating a dozen bags of Cheetos a day with a dozen packs of Twinkies for dessert. Nor am I talking about people with diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, or other medical condition that tend to make people overweight. I mean women who are miserable because they're 45 years old, 5'6", weigh 140 lbs., and think they should weigh 110 lbs.--and who pass such notions on to their daughters. Encouraging healthy food choices and staying physically fit is great, but looking at Lara Flynn Boyle on TV (she wore the pink ballet tutu dress a few years ago and looked like a stick in it) and saying to their daughters, or sons for that matter, "Oh, I'd kill to be that thin!" is child abuse, in my strident opinion.

Although actually, I thought more women celebs looked less emaciated this year than in years past. Examples: Halle Berry with her round tummy and fully formed backside and thighs; Salma Hayek and Catalina Sandino Moreno ("Maria Full of Grace") with their curvaceous Latina bodies; Beyonce with her beautiful booty; and a couple of other "I spy with my little eye" sightings of actresses in double digit dress sizes. Though still, sickly thin rules in film, TV, print, and advertising of all kinds.

BTW, if you want to know what Rgirl looked like 31 years ago at age 18, look at Catalina Sandino Moreno as she is in "Maria Full of Grace." My hair was a chestnut brown rather than black, but other than that--let's just say I got a lot of emails from people who've known me since then saying, "Spooooky." Though I sure as hell don't look like her now! :rofl: Nor did I look as glamorous as Moreno did at the Oscars at my prom. I looked much cooler. :cool:

Oh, well. Now we can focus on other important world events, like "American Idol." Two rockers this year--YES!!! :rock:

Rgirl

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
On the other hand, I wouldn't have wanted to give the edge to Spacek because she was 52 years old and had never won an Oscar

She won for "Coal Miner's Daughter".

Piel said:
[Spacek] won for "Coal Miner's Daughter".
Well, good-bye to another pile of brain cells. And to think (if I could), I used to know that stuff cold.

But this time I have no excuse. I even had the Academy Award site up on the sidebar so I could check such things.

Seriously, now I'll have to change my argument. So instead of "On the other hand, I wouldn't have wanted to give the edge to Spacek because she was 52 years old and had never won an Oscar," it will have to be, "Since Spacek had already won a Best Actress Oscar for 1980's 'Coal Miner's Daughter,' that would have broken the tie for me--fair or unfair."

Thanks for the correction -- smarty-pants.:p ;)

Rgirl

Honorary Oskate (remember those?) to Piel for reading two long-winded Rgirl posts in a row -- and I mean reading them, not just skimming.:party2: