Julie Lynn Holmes | Golden Skate

Julie Lynn Holmes

S

SkateFan4Life

Do you remember US figure skater Julie Lynn Holmes - the Californian who finished second to Janet Lynn at the US Nationals from 1969 - 1972? Julie Lynn was a dynamic, yet graceful brunette who bore some resemblance to Peggy Fleming. She outskated Janet Lynn at the 1970 and 1971 Worlds, as she (Julie) finished third and second, respectively, while Janet finished fifth and fourth, respectively.

Julie Lynn came into the 1972 Olympics as the defending World silver medalist, and after the school figures, she was in an excellent position to win a medal. However, her free skating let her down, and she finished fourth overall.

I've never seen Julie Lynn skate as a professional. Perhaps she left the sport as an active skater and turned to coaching, etc.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Julie Lynn came into the 1972 Olympics as the defending World silver medalist, and after the school figures, she was in an excellent position to win a medal. However, her free skating let her down, and she finished fourth overall.

Personally, I've never heard of her, but then again I've only been following skating since 2001.

She sounds like a Sasha Cohen type to me...always a bridesmaid, never the bride.

bluelutz

On the Ice
I remember all American female skaters who competed at Sappro very well, Janet, Julie and JoJo.
Though my fave was of course Janet, Julie and JoJo were beautiful skaters too.
About 10 years ago, I met JoJo at sky rink of New York and she said those days were the best time of her life and three American ladies were very close to each other at Sapporo.
Julie was an elegant skater but had a more conservative look and style compared to Janet. Yes, somewhat reminded me of Peggy, especially her dark hair, hair style and dresses.
Also about 10 years ago, I read some article about Julie on some skating magazine and it said that she had a disabled kid after she retired from competetion and has been taking care of that kid. So probably that is one reason why she disappeared from public.

I hope I can have thier Sapporo performance on DVD someday.
I heard Janet's Sapporo performance was available on tape in Japan about 10 years ago but I missed it.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Thanks for the links. She looks lovely now.

bluelutz - The Sapporo-1972 Olympics movie, which contains Lynn's complete performance, can still be purchased from the IOC website (www.ioc.org I think). They have a big catalog of the official videos of most summer & winter games. Pricey, though. Only Lynn's complete performance is on the film, though. Julie Holmes & other skaters are seen just in an odd dressing room montage. Trixie Schuba of Austria (the eventual winner of the gold medal) is seen performing her famous school figures...but no free skate.

Willkommen, Frau Muller! You're not THE Frau Muller, are you by any chance? The famous coach of Katerina Witt, etc., etc.?

Mathman:)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Julie teaches the special needs skaters (along with other skaters) at Iceoplex in Escondido, CA. She is a very nice lady.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Julie Holmes

Yes, Julie is a wonderful lady, and was a wonderful skater. She did not resemble Sasha, in that she was strong in all phases, but didn't has the best presentation (was still wonderful). I remember her skating very well.

I believe she is the mother of five children, not to be confused with Janet Lynn, who also has five children (sons).

Julie has coached for a long time in So. Cal. She is a very sweet and wonderful lady in person. Very gracious and pleasant.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I remember around the time of the 1998 Olympics, the local stations did a fluff piece on her (I believe it was the CBS station) and her daughter, who is also a skater.

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
Willkommen, Frau Muller! You're not THE Frau Muller, are you by any chance? The famous coach of Katerina Witt, etc., etc.?

Mathman:)

Jah! Guten Abend. If you are the famous Frau Muller, please identify yourself! We would absolutely love to hear about your coaching methods - how you coached your daughter, Gaby, and Christine, Annet, and Katarina. :clap:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
SkateFan, I just gotta say, I love your posts. Through them I find out so many interesting things that I did not know about skaters who were around before I started watching (1979). I had heard the name Julie Lynn Holmes and knew she was a Worlds medallist, but for some reason I always had her pictured as a statuesque (by skating standards) blonde. I also didn't know about Hana Maskova's death in 1970 (which you mentioned in another thread), plus several other miscellaneous factoids. I consider myself quite a skating historian, but I must bow to the master here.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Lisa Marie Allen

JonnyCoop said:
SkateFan, I just gotta say, I love your posts. Through them I find out so many interesting things that I did not know about skaters who were around before I started watching (1979). I had heard the name Julie Lynn Holmes and knew she was a Worlds medallist, but for some reason I always had her pictured as a statuesque (by skating standards) blonde. I also didn't know about Hana Maskova's death in 1970 (which you mentioned in another thread), plus several other miscellaneous factoids. I consider myself quite a skating historian, but I must bow to the master here.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Probably the statuesque blonde you recall is Lisa Marie Allen, a multiple time National medalist from the era of Dorothy Hamill through to Linda Fratianne. She was on the podium with Priscilla Hill, Johnny Weir's coach, had a fantastic double axel and was very tall.

Hey! My 100th post :cool:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
ChiSk8Fan said:
Probably the statuesque blonde you recall is Lisa Marie Allen, a multiple time National medalist from the era of Dorothy Hamill through to Linda Fratianne. She was on the podium with Priscilla Hill, Johnny Weir's coach, had a fantastic double axel and was very tall.

Congrats on post #100! :clap: No, I distinctly remember Lisa-Marie Allen; she was competing back in my early viewing days; Julie Lynn Holmes had been off the amateur scene for about 7 years. It was just one of those cases where you see a name of someone you've never seen skate and you just for some reason get a mental picture off the name -- or am I the only one who does this? Often, in the case of junior skaters or skaters it takes several seasons before I actually see on TV, I'm a bit surprised, as in, So that's what she looks like, huh? Not what I pictured at all.....

S

SkateFan4Life

JonnyCoop said:

Hi JonnyCoop....Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad to know that you enjoy reading my posts, however long-winded they sometimes may be. I've been a figure skating fan for a long time, which you've deducted from my posts. I think the sport of figure skating is deep and rich, with so many interesting characters, and I enjoy reminiscing about them from time to time. I have so many wonderful memories of watching these fantastic skaters, in person, and on television. I hope that today's young skaters have an appreciation for the great skaters who preceded them.

Can't wait until next year and the 2006 Olympics! :clap:

S

SkateFan4Life

ChiSk8Fan said:

Yep. Lisa-Marie Allen was a beautiful, statuesque blonde who was the US silver medalist behind Linda Fratianne from 1978 through 1980. Lisa had a gorgeous Ina Bauer and a huge double axel, as well as other nice moves. She competed at the 1980 Winter Olympics and finished fifth.

Lisa-Marie stayed eligible in the 1981 season, with the assumption that she would win the US title after Linda Fratianne turned pro. However, in 1981, Elaine Zayak won the title, Priscilla Hill finished second, and Lisa-Marie finished third. She turned pro shortly thereafter. I saw her skate with Ice Capades, and she looked stunning and skated very, very well.

S

SkateFan4Life

ChiSk8Fan said:
Yes, Julie is a wonderful lady, and was a wonderful skater. She did not resemble Sasha, in that she was strong in all phases, but didn't has the best presentation (was still wonderful). I remember her skating very well.

I believe she is the mother of five children, not to be confused with Janet Lynn, who also has five children (sons).

Julie has coached for a long time in So. Cal. She is a very sweet and wonderful lady in person. Very gracious and pleasant.

Thanks for the update, ChiSk8Fan. I remember seeing Julie Lynn skate, and she was beautiful to watch. She just happened to compete during the same era as Janet Lynn, Karen Magnussen, and Trixi Schuba.