"Passion of the Christ" soundtrack for skating | Golden Skate

"Passion of the Christ" soundtrack for skating

S

SkateFan4Life

I'm playing my CD "Passion of the Christ" soundtrack as I'm writing this post.

IMHO, what stunning music! This could be cut and spliced into an outstanding piece for a long program or an exhibition.

I could definitely see Paul Wylie skate to this, not only because of his religious beliefs, but also because he skates with a lot of emotion and passion.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
didn't someone skate to at least part of this soundtrack this season? Or am I totally confused. I thought I read somewhere that Passion of the Christ was being used

I agree that there are parts of the soundtrack that would be perfect for a skating number...

S

SkateFan4Life

Tonichelle said:
didn't someone skate to at least part of this soundtrack this season? Or am I totally confused. I thought I read somewhere that Passion of the Christ was being used

I agree that there are parts of the soundtrack that would be perfect for a skating number...

That could be true. I don't keep track of what everyone is skating to, however.
It would be wonderful to see this music used!

ditzysk8r

Rinkside
My friend who competed at NWP Regionals this year used it. She did a great job with it - it had a fantastic straight-line footwork sequence and great choreography. Awesome music!

Laura_B

Rinkside
If Annissina and Peizerat were still eligible I could see them skating a program to this music.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I have the OST for the Passion of the Christ, and I love it. It would be hard to choose the tracks to use for a program, but definitely it woudl be very dramatic!

I've been listening to several soundtracks this past year (makes me wish I was a skater to make a program out of them lol!). I was listening to the OST for HP3, and there are some beautiful tracks ther. Also the OST of "Spirited Away", I would like to see a lady skate to it (maybe from the japanese team). The music of "The Village" is also very, very good (I don't have that soundtrack yet, but I'm thinking of buying it).

anya_angie

Final Flight
The Village is strongly recommended for anyone who is even remotely interested in film music. It's James Newton Howard's finest hour. Many feel that he deserved the Oscar.

I'm pleased for Finding Neverland, but The Village depended on its orchestra more and utilized techniques like making the orchestra sound like the mythical creatures that were supposedly in the woods.

The Passion is magnificent. Some parts are not pleasant to listen to, but Debney uses authentic instruments of the day, albeit briefly, to capture the time and essence of the story. A Christian himself, I can think of no finer composer to do this work. He's been doing lighthearted comedies far too long for a man of his calibur. Let's hope he goes back to what he was doing best - action scores. My hope and fantasy is that he does the next Pirates of the Carribean movie. It would be nice to hear a real pirate score go with a real pirate movie.

All of the nominated scores would be good for skating. I finally heard Lemony Snicket a little. NO THANKS TO THE OSCARS which did not feature any of the nominated scores at any time that I recall. It was a celebration of film music. There was some Goldsmith and Bernstein played right before commercials. I was really angry about the memorial tribute. We lost 3 giants of the composing world, and we're stuck listening to Bach. Nice, but not a fitting tribute for any of them. A medley of their finest works would have sufficed.

brad640

On the Ice
anya_angie said:
The Village is strongly recommended for anyone who is even remotely interested in film music. It's James Newton Howard's finest hour. Many feel that he deserved the Oscar.

I would love to see someone skate to The Village. Part of the score is scary and foreboding and the other part is cerebral and subtle. I think it would be a great challenge for someone to take it on, maybe as a long program.

Other scores I loved that were not nominated were Birth and Motorcycle Diaries. I think the Prologue from Birth would be great for skating. I'm not sure if Motorcycle Diaries would lend itself to skating, but I would love to see someone try it. The Incredibles also had a great score.

As for Passion of the Christ, I think it will turn up somewhere next season. It is very dramatic, and I agree that A&P would use it. It would be an appropriate follow-up to their Martin Luther King, Jr. program.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: Harry Potter

anything by John Williams is not only brilliant, but perfect for figure skating :rock:

Hikaru

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
Re: Harry Potter

anything by John Williams is not only brilliant, but perfect for figure skating :rock:

right on! My favorite tracks from the latest HP soundtrack are "A window to the past" and "Buckbeaks flight".

S

SkateFan4Life

ditzysk8r said:
My friend who competed at NWP Regionals this year used it. She did a great job with it - it had a fantastic straight-line footwork sequence and great choreography. Awesome music!

Good for your friend! I'm sure the music really inspired her. :clap:

I could see Johnny Weir skate to this music as well.

IDLERACER

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
I'm playing my CD "Passion of the Christ" soundtrack as I'm writing this post. IMHO, what stunning music! This could be cut and spliced into an outstanding piece for a long program or an exhibition.
SHHHHH!!!
Don't give Phillipe Candeloro any crazy ideas! :eek:

anya_angie

Final Flight
I wouldn't call Williams brilliant in terms of the underscore, but Harry Potter 3 and most of his other works is very nice to listen to.

Matt

On the Ice
brad640 said:
I'm not sure if Motorcycle Diaries would lend itself to skating, but I would love to see someone try it.

I can definitely see the music from The Motorcycle Diaries being used for ice dance, with its Latin and South American influences

Another absolutely fantastic movie soundtrack is Les Choristes (The Choir), a French movie that was France's equivalent to Titanic in terms of popularity and acclaim (and which I was extremely surprised did not win Best Foreign Film). Most of the selections are vocal (and extremely catchy :biggrin: ), but some of the instrumentals would translate well into a routine. I can definitely see a European skater using it; it might be a refreshing change of pace for Joubert, but it may be too weak for his style of skating

anya_angie

Final Flight
Carolinagirl said:
Kurt Browning has skated to Passion music this season. I loved it! Very powerful.

You mean PETER GABRIEL'S PASSION, NOT JOHN DEBNEY!!!!!!!!!! Peter Gabriel's was to a film released in the EIGHTIES! DEBNEY'S is from 2004!

Why can't people keep these straight? :frown: :frown2: :rolleye: :boohoo: :banging: :banging: :disapp: :cry:

Crizzy

Rinkside
I have a question. Do you think Debney's The Passion of The Christ is similar to Peter Gabriel's The Last Temptation of Christ? Somehow, I prefer Peter Gabriel's work.

anya_angie

Final Flight
I have the whole soundtrack of Debney's Passion, but have heard little of Gabriel's Last Temptation. I can say that between the whole soundtrack of Passion and The Feeling Begins, they're hardly similar at all. But that is not fair, because I am only comparing it to one track.

S

SkateFan4Life

Laura_B said:
If Annissina and Peizerat were still eligible I could see them skating a program to this music.

Most definitely! Annissina and Peizerat were one of the most dramatic ice dance teams in history. My concern is that they might possibly take this music over the top, so to speak. The music is dramatic, without a doubt, but it was written as the soundtrack for a deeply religious motion picture. I would hope that any skaters who perform to this music appreciate the background for this music, and whatever their religious, or non-religious, beliefs, would treat this music with the respect it deserves. IMHO, of course.