Best/worst skater's outfits | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best/worst skater's outfits

N

ncsk8fan2

Costume disasters

Well AS-

There are SO many...

Czacko with the hand.... oi

Tonya Harding in the lion tamer outfit that was two sizes too small.

Lisa Ervin's brown thing...

Anything in LIME green... ick

OB's pepto pink feathers, sheesh!

Misha Shmerkin... um... not exactly subtle.

Candeloro's really lame sweat pants

Brian Orser's Lion Sleeps Tonight... too over the top

When Elvis skated this year during the GP, his costume looked like it had just come out of the suitcase, just as old and wrinkled as the program was!!

Todd Eldredge always looks like he's clothed in draperies for his LP's.

Surya's 92 Olympics outfit was SCARY...

Just a few... given time, I could think of more!

F

FetalAttraction

Re: Costume disasters

Please don't tempt me into another heckle-their-awful-outfits session. It's just too easy when it comes to skating.

A

Arili478

y posting only bad looking pics? i thought this is BEST/WORST topic.

D

DORISPULASKI

Urmanov's costume with the necklace with the two large metal plates over his chest, looking like a cross dresser applying for a spot on the cover of 'Chicks in Chainmail'.
(used in a pro number) is my all time winner for worst costume.

Yag's costume, when he was still with Mishin that had him in feathers and a banana. It was an exhibition number.

The half this and half that costume of Gags and Babs last year.

Vanessa Gusmeroli's skin tight jungle fatigues costume

Gwendal Peizerat's this year's LP costume with the rope running around it. Instead of looking like he was going to skate to something like Liberty, he actually looked like he was going to join Candeloro in his George of the Jungle number.

Rudi Galindo's Brady Bunch costume-or is it a prop- when comes out with his head stuck through an array of Brady Bunch photos, like the opening of the show.

There are indeed so many...

dpp

J

Jules Asner

AD1369 -- I think you're right -- When I'm walking down the street, I can usually spot Europeans coming a mile away due to their clothes -- I always wait till I get close to listen to them speak and hear if they have an accent and I would say my accuracy level is about 98%. I assume they can spot me a mile away in Europe as well!! I just can't help it, I'd rather see a man in a suit (a la Timothy Geobel in his American in Paris routine) than in a red cape (Urmanov). But that's just me.

S

scroogez

Most Original of Worlds 2002 SP:
Dmitri Dmitreko's botanical tour de force

as to Plush, I found Plushy's Carmen outfit at the Olys exhibition quite nice, given what he wore at the Worlds 2001, ahem, exhibition. *g*

A

AdultSkater

Oh ncsk8fan! You and Fetal have had me in stitches all morning. We did do some bad outfits---how about beautiful ones?

Dorothy Hamill---always beautifully costumed. I love the "Romance" dress, and the "One Day in Time" pink dress with the beads on the back....

Nicole Bobek---you know, the girl drives me nuts because she falls so often, but she is beautifully costumed too (except for the phoney Lee Press On Nails selection that make her look like she is about to shoot an adult video...). Her Russian Dances SP white dress is stunning.

Kristi Yamaguchi's kimono outfit for Madame Butterfly and Tonya Kwiatkowski's Madame Butterfly outfit are wonderful. I even like the chop sticks in the bun look, even if it does kind of remind me of stereotactic brain surgery :)

Jill Trenary wore pretty dresses. I like the Olympics red one and the 1989 Worlds dress with the snowflakes beaded into the bodice---lovely!

Toller Cranston makes terrific skating dresses with the opposing colors on the skirts and ruffles, etc....anyone who wears them (Cadavy, Karen Preston) is well dressed.

We could do men's costumes next!

:rollin

AS

T

tharrtell

Okay, IMO:

1) Anything that looks like rags like Irina typically wears and one of Kyoko's ensembles this year is what I'd call a disaster.

2) I believe it was Vanessa G. who wore some type of silver lame (s/p?) pants thing with ropes? I don't remember it exactly, but I remember it was AWEFUL.

3) Dinev's costume this year.

4) Any costume with a headdress and/or feathers.

One that I did like - and I usually prefer understatement - is Rudy's costume that has pink and black striped pantaloons. Makes me smile whenever I see it :)

tharrtell

J

Joesitz

Re: Browning's costumes

Hi AS - Do you think Mishin is involved with all these Russian outfits? There does seem to be some evidence that they are all designed by the same creator - part Tsarist, part Bolshevik.
lol, Joe

M

Moher

Re: Best/worst skater's outfits

I liked Yagudin's Nutrocker and Chopin costumes a lot. What I absolutely didn't like was his Broken Arrow costume. Most of the french skaters costumes are really strange, too (e.g. Frederic Dambier, Stanick Jeannette).

Anke

F

FetalAttraction

The tragedy of Michelle

sr_mic_paris.jpg
I asked my uber-fashion-gifted drag queen friend what this outfit was supposed to be, and he said, "Lacroix gone rancid." I know Michelle's kicking herself for not winning the Olympic gold twice in a row, but does she really have to punish herself like this?

G

Grgranny

Re: The tragedy of Michelle

Well, I still love those shiny blue pants Kurt wore!!!

O

Oy2

LOL !!!
Two I hated, Oksana's pink feathery LP dress from '94 and Irina's blue feathery thing from '95(?).
I really hate when they have feathers on the costumes.
Also, Elena B's white dress from GPF this year. It looked like a shroud.

Like....Nicole's pink dress that she wore for a few numbers including "Somewhere in time". Her Olympic LP dress.
MK's red SP dress from '95-'96.

M

Moher

Oy2, I liked Elena's white dress. But not for this program because it distracts a bit from the program. For Lady Capliph I preferd the blue dresses of Lalique or the "white" ones from Olympics.

O

Oy2

Moher I think there were 2 different white dresses. The first one I saw, maybe at GWG?, was a pretty wedding gown kinda dress that was gorgeous. The one at GPF was very plain and it had lots of seams in it, like it had been sewn in strips. That's the one I didn't care for.

B

Borgy727

I'm with you Oy2 - I hated Elena's white dress with all the seams. Yuck! Glad she got rid of it and went with the red dress at the Olympics. I think she wore the white one at the GP Final.

M

Moher

Right Oy2, I mixed it up a bit, sorry. I was talking about the one from GWG and you about the one from the GPF which they also wore at the ARD Gala. Well I don't like that one that much but it's okay.
I don't like most of Petrova & Tikhonovs cotumes. The one they wore today at Worlds was quite okay though.