Best/worst skater's outfits | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Best/worst skater's outfits

S

spyralz

Re: Best/worst skater's outfits

Show 42- yes, I recall them saying that too. I just think that some of the outfits were not that tasteful. some of them were perfectly fine. The one evgeni plushenko was wearing from what I can remember was not exactly what I would consider attractive.

Keep your thoughts and pictures coming~spyralz

B

bumblebee1

As for the question of whether anyone could picture Elvis in Urmanov's LP costume in 1994, my answer is NO!! Not only could I not picture Elvis in it, I can't picture an American man in that kind of costume either.

Plushenko seriously needs a new costume designer. Too many of his costumes make him look like a little kid.

Abt's LP costumes looks like he had a run-in with a clothes line. Was Ivan Dinev involved with an accident in a paint factory?

S

spyralz

bumblebee1-I agree w/ you on plushenko. He needs to tone down his clothes. they are very distracting. the same goes for abt and dinev. Dinev's olympic outfit was awful. I also cannot imagine the americans or elvis wearing urmanov's LP or many of the outfits that many of the russians and other european skaters wear.

Keep your thoughts and pictures coming~Spyralz

K

Kzarah

Best/worst skater's outfits

Rudy Galindo and Nancy Kerrigan they always wear dresses like cocktail waitress wear.
Daniel and Little Lulu

S

StarChick99

Most are good

I like most of what Plushenko wears, but some of his stuff does look overdown or a little too out there.

S

spyralz

some of the ones I have like are:
Michelle kwan-fields of gold, sp (96)

someone had two of tara's competitive outfits up as there favs. IMO, Tara's pro outfits have been generally better than her competitive dresses. alot of her competitive dresses were a bit overdone, again my opinion.

~Spyralz

R

RealtorGal

Yeah, Tara's competitive dresses looked like they belonged on Snow White or some other Disney character.

P

Princess Leppard 625

Ah, but I do love Plush's costumes. My least favorite would probably be the one he's wearing on COI (same as his Olympic LP), very understated. Not the Plush I love. Who said they make him look like a little kid? My God. The first time I saw him in that red velvet Bolero outfit, erm, WOW. The gold costume? Love it. Slavonic Dances? I could gush for hours. You get the idea. (ooh, I left out the golden underwear from Sex Bomb!)

I liked Abt's LP costume, too, but not the one for his SP. The lines around his knees broke up the clean lines. I liked Alexei's Winter costume. I would hate for the Russians to start dressing like the American men; it wouldn't suit them.

There really aren't many outfits I hate. Though I agree Tara's made her look like a Disney character...

cheers,

Laura :)

B

berthes ghost

Re: Costume disasters

In the US, I think that the men and women use many of the same designers. Lauren Sheean, who did a lot of Kriti's and Nichole's costumes, also designed Scott Davis' costumes. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Billings did a lot of the men's costumes, as his women's costumes are more understated and simple.

Urmanov's costumes were designed by the guy who designed for the Russian Ballet. I wouldn't be surprised if all of Mishin's pupils used him. What looks good from the nosebleed section of the concert hall, surounded by other similarly styled costumes and scenery, isn't nescessarily what looks good when a skater is by himself on a big sheet of white ice, especially when seen close up on TV.

I personally have been shaking my head over the French skater's costumes for years now. Dior designed for Jacqueline du Bief, and therin seems to have died the connection. I'm sure that Paris designers turn away in horror whenever Surya takes the ice. Phillipe is no better, and don't even get me started on Sophie and Pascal!

L

Linny

Costumes - Europeans

The European Championships were re televised in my area, so I watched them again (I wonder how they did in the ratings!). There was a dance pair from, I think, Armenia? They had a picture of a moon and an angry sun on the front of their costumes. It was something right out of The Hobbit. Anyone else remember these?
Linny

S

spyralz

Re: Costumes - Europeans

I will have to rewatch the europeans and look for that costume. I don't remember it.

~Spyralz

S

spyralz

best/worst olympic champions and medalists edition

I thought I would see who has had great outfits and who has had bad outfits when they have stood atop the olympic podium and stood on the olympic podium. some have shined and some well....have not

2002 SLC
Best
<a href=http://www.ezboard.com>www.geocities.com/timothygoebel2002/americanpariss2.jpg</a>
<a href=http://www.ezboard.com>www.jamie-david.com/photoalbum/2002og/02glp06.jpg</a>

worst
<a href=http://www.ezboard.com>www.ne.jp/asahi/lemonvodka/evgeny/imgage/photo/02olym_fp_05.jpg</a>
<a href=http://www.ezboard.com>www.figureskating.free.fr/ap_gpfo1_fd_2_8.jpg</a>
<a href=http://www.ezboard.com>www.ice-dance.com/loba-aver/pictures/la-408.jpg</a>

coming soon-98 nagano, 94 lillahamar, 92 albertville

~spyralz

H

hrmsk8ngnutt

Re: Costumes - Europeans

Linny,

I think you're referring Denkova/Staviskii from Bulgaria?

S

stilldizzy

Princess,

Wow, I do respect your opinion but I find it surprising. I think Plushenko's costumes are quite ugly. They are generally loaded down with distracting shiny fabric, with gobs of dangles and just generally waaay overstated. Although, I admire and like Plushenko's skating, I find his costumes to distract from his programs. Many times I find myself staring at the costume instead of his skating wondering how he has the nerve to skate in them. I guess "garish" is the word to describe them.

This just goes to show how different peoples tastes can be.

Stilldizzy

S

spyralz

I would agree with you stilldizzy. I have always found plushenko's costumes to be too shiny and distracting. I have found it interesting that some people like them. But, everyone likes different things and some people may see something I don't.

~Spyralz

P

Princess Leppard 625

Spyralz and Stilldizzy,

Most people think I'm kinda weird, so it's okay. Also, would it help if I told you in the 80s I was a glam metal chick, and that's probably why I love Plush's costumes? I think all the Russian skaters have more of a flair for drama, and that's why (IMO) they can pull off the more flamboyant costumes.

When the new season starts, we can debate the new costume. I fear Plush has started listening to ya'll, and will wear something really boring. :( But I hope not.

cheers,

Laura :)

I

icenut84

I'm sure that Paris designers turn away in horror whenever Surya takes the ice.

I think her 92 Olympic LP dress was actually designed by a Paris designer wasn't it? I don't remember which one though, I'll have to check my tape (the commentator said it), but it was a very famous one.

For this season, I think:
BEST -
Lang/Tchernyshev FD (LOVED both of them)
Fumie Suguri LP
Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze SP, Berezhnaya LP and EX
Sale/Pelletier SP
Shen/Zhao LP
Margarita Drobiazko FD AT EUROPEANS - I have NO idea why she changed it for SLC, the Euros one was really nice
Takeshi Honda LP (LOVE that shirt)

WORST -
Margarita Drobiazko FD at SLC
I can't think of many really bad ones...

S

stilldizzy

Hi Princess,

Thanks for the nice reply regarding Plushenko's costumes. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with next season. Hope he doesn't go too conservative for your sake, though.

It's always fun to see the new programs, music, costumes at the beginning of the season. Unfortunately, it gets kind of stale by the end.

Stilldizzy

L

lemonade16

Wow! Everyone put so much effort into this thread. It's been a pleasure reading it!

On Plushy: Well, I gotta say, I don't exactly love his costumes stylistically ... but they're a hoot and I *always* look forward to seeing his next creation! I'd also be disappointed if he went conservative.

On Feathers and Glitter: Slute could take them down a notch. Fumie could actually kick it up a notch, IMO. Oksana's feathers and glitter always looked hazardous to her health (or maybe it was the health of the bird those feathers came from that I was worrying about :rollin: )

On Flesh-Toned Fabric: Why? If you want flesh showing through, why not have real flesh showing through? At least it matches the tone of the skater's skin (obviously) Or, maybe that would violate the indecent costume rule ...

On White Costumes: Guys, please save the white fabric for the ladies.

Best Skater Outfit: Now I'm going to lose all my credibility (what credibility!) You know, I really always loved Maria Butyrskaya's black and white Malaguena costume with that frou frou skirt. I think she designed it. I haven't anything quite like that before or since (maybe there's a good reason for that).

Worst Skater Outfit: I can't put Plushy into this category b/c he's in his very own category. I'd agree with whoever picked Alexei Urmanov's medal bra costume. I think he wore that at World Pros and won, IIRC, despite the costume.

Can someone post a pic to either Bute's or Urmanov's costumes?

lemonade16