Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who was the first?

Custom Title

Who was the first?

Who was the first:

Madge Myers, first lady figure skater to enter Men's World FigureSkating Championships, 1902, came in second.

Dick Button was the first skater to do a double axel, tripple tripple loop and the flying camel spin.

Can you name any other firsts?

Rogue Leader
    First triple lutz, Donald Jackson. First triple Axel, Vern Taylor. I believe the first triple axel combination was Brian Orser. First quad, Kurt Browning, first quad combo, and first quad-triple, Elvis Stojko.

First American to do the quad, Timothy Goebel. I believe he was also the first to do three quads in a program. First lady triple axel, Midori Ito, First lady Quad, Miki Ando. I think the Zhangs were the first officially credited with the quad twist, and another Chinese pair the first throw quad (Can't remember their names. I believe they are China's number 4 team).

Hogwarts' #1 MK fanatic
    Practicing the Cruciatus Curse on a Marie-Reine Le Gougne doll. . .
    Michelle Kwan was the first (and only) skater to win back to back
    Worlds in different millenniums (2000 & 2001).

Lu Chen was the first women's Olympic medalist from China.

Yuka Sato was Japan's first medalist at a World Championships.

Shen & Zhao were the first pairs team ever to win Worlds and
    medal at the Olympics for China.

Alexei Yagudin was the first man to receive 6.0's at the Olympics
    for both short and long programs. (Maybe somebody can correct
    me if I'm wrong. )
    Last edited by Hermione_Granger; 03-01-2005 at 07:21 PM.

Custom Title
    Also, Figure Skating originated in the mid 19th Century.

The ISU was founded in 1892.

Ladies first competition was in 1906, Pairs in 1908.

On March 20, 1914, the first international Figure Skating Competition was held in New Haven, Connecticut which was the ancestor of the U.S. and Canadian Championships. The International competition was interupted by WWI.

First World Championships for men only was held in 1896.

Rinkside

Who was the first:

Michelle Kwan was the first skater to regain the World title 3x's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermione_Granger
    Michelle Kwan was the first (and only) skater to win back to back Worlds in different millenniums (2000 & 2001).
    I congratulate your professors at Hogwart's for teaching such accurate numbering skills. Alas, we all celebrated the turn of the millenium a year early. Oh well.

MM

Custom Title
    Sarah Hughes was the FIRST WOMAN to land TWO 3/3 combos in the Olympics. And they say the American ladies haven't pushed the sport?
    I believe she's also the first American lady to win Olympics WITHOUT a National or World title.

SkateFan4Life
    Midori was the first woman to land the triple axel at the World Championships in 1989, and that year she became the first Japanese woman to win a World title.

Tonya Harding was the first American woman to land a triple axel at the US Nationals in 1991 (which she won) and at the Worlds (where she finished second).

This is premature, but I predict that next year Michelle Kwan will become the first woman to win ten US championships.

In 1991, Kristi Yamaguchi and Kurt Browning became the first singles skaters to win World Championships without the compulsory school figures.

At the 1982 World Championships, Elaine Zayak became the first woman to land six triple jumps in the long program - a performance that propelled her to the World title.

Custom Title
    Brian Boitano was the first skater to land all six kinds of triples in one program at the world championships (1983)

When did Brian Orser land the first triple axel combination? I know Alexander Fadeev was landing triples axels (and I think combinations) quite early and Boitano had a 3 axel-double toe at 1982 U.S. nationals.

Nice educational thread! I don't know any firsts, but am curious if anyone knows who did the first back flip, even tho it's not allowed in eligible competition. I assume the first lady to do it and also to land it on 1 foot would be Surya Bonaly?

It's all about Plushenko.
    A couple that probably everyone know:

First salchow, Ulrich Salchow
    First axel, Axel Paulsen
    First loop, Ritterburgh (Did I spell that right?)

Custom Title
    First Triple Axel ever seen in public - David Jenkins - Exhibitions at 1960 Olympics. I'm still hoping to see film of this someday. I know some exists.

Custom Title
    First ever Ice Dance Olympic Gold - Ludmila Pakhomova and Alexandr Gorshkov.

The Salchow:
    - Theresa Weld Blanchard - who was the 1st ever woman to do ANY kind of jump in a competition - did it in 1920 Olympics.
    - Cecelia Colledge performed a first ever double jump by a woman in 1937
    - Ronnie Robertson was the first to do a triple sal in 1955

The Lutz:
    - Alois Lutz shoed the lutz in 1913

The Loop:
    Werner Rittberger did the 1st loop in 1910
    Karl Shafer did a double in 1925 (practice)
    Dick Button did a triple in 1952 Olympics (1st ever triple of any kind)

First movie picture about the Ice skating: The Frozen Warning (1917)

Yana

Quote Originally Posted by NJSk8Fan
    Nice educational thread! I don't know any firsts, but am curious if anyone knows who did the first back flip, even tho it's not allowed in eligible competition. I assume the first lady to do it and also to land it on 1 foot would be Surya Bonaly?
    1st backflip in competition, I believe, was Terry Kubicka back in the 70s, I could be wrong though

Custom Title
    Petra Burka was the first woman to do a triple salchow.
    Ede Kirely of Hungary actually did the first double axel. It was the same competition where Dick Button did his, and Ede skated before him. Dick got all the media, however.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast