Who was the first? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who was the first?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
First woman to judge at a Worlds:

Mollie Phillips, Great Britain, 1947.

(Apparently the ISU wouldn't let women judge international competition up until then because the comps were all outdoors and 'ladies have such delicate sinuses' or some such.... :p )

That is such a crock excuse :rofl: Delicate sinuses, yet they were allowed to compete and coach? HAHAHA

screech

Final Flight
STL_Blues_fan said:
Didn't John and Rena perform side by side triple lutz at one of the Grand Prix meets?

The Duhamel/Arnold vs John/Rena thing hasn't yet been settled. I never saw the John/Rena one, but I did see the protocols, and it was counted as SBS triple lutzes, but there were -GOE. So maybe Duhamel/Arnold did the first error-free ones? I dunno.

And as for their throw triple lutz, it's awesome that it was ratified, but after watching it on TV I'm pretty critical of it. He didn't even throw her. It's just like she did a normal triple lutz, but his hands were on her waist at take-off. If you look closely, or even not so closely, it wasn't *really* a throw...

But it's amazing that after being together less than a year they've already been ratified twice as having done the first of something (though one is up for debate)...

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
Shizuka Arakawa, first lady to do 3lutz-3toe-2loop (03 worlds) :clap: :love:
Tatyana Malinina, first lady from Uzbekistan to win an ISU championship (think it was GPF in 99)
Artur Dmitriev, first man to win two OGM with 2 different partners (Mishketeunok in 92, Kazakova in 98) :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
DivakawaFan said:
Tatyana Malinina, first lady from Uzbekistan to win an ISU championship (think it was GPF in 99)

GPF doesn't count as an "ISU championship" but Four Continents does (the ISU championships are Worlds, Jr. Worlds, Europeans, and Four Continents), and Malinina did win that too in 1999.