Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Two U.S. Ice Dancing Teams Announce End of Partnerships

Custom Title

Two U.S. Ice Dancing Teams Announce End of Partnerships

Thanks to Paula for posting the link on the front goldenskate.com page.

Kendra and Brent call their partnership off, and the shocker (at least to me): Mannon and O'Meara.

So the debate whether Lydia and Ryan place at the top 6 is settled.

Yana

PS - once again, the US ice dancing does it again. Comes the Nationals and you wonder, who are these people? Would I see them again next year?

I don't understand why Manon and O'Meara split... they seemed to work so well together :(

And the second team breaking up is Goodwin & Bommetre! That's #4 and #6 teams in the country!! Mannon & O'Meara is especially upsetting.

Custom Title
    I'm disappointed that these teams have split. I thought both had promise. And Manon & O'Meara, especially, were just starting to become successful, so I don't understand why they would split. At Nationals this year I was so excited about the future of U.S. dance, and now 2 of the top 6 teams have already broken up!

To me, this is yet another example of how U.S. dance and pairs teams tend to give up too quickly. Instead of working on their partnerships and giving them time to grow, they just drop them and move on when they don't achieve instant success.

Both these teams should take note of how Belbin & Agosto gave their partnership time to develop and flourish. And look at the results!

Very sad news re both teams. Is there any reasons for the splits? Will they go separate ways with new partners? Will any of them just disappear from skating all together?

Joe

It's all about Plushenko.
    Will they go separate ways with new partners? Will any of them just disappear from skating all together?
    There's a rumor that Lydia Manon is partnering with Brandon Forsyth, who's her boyfriend.

Custom Title
    Hopefully we'll see Manon back on the ice soon, with another partner!

Rinkside
    I was surprised to hear about Manon and O'Meara too. Watching them the other night on 4CC's... they seem to have some great promise. Next year being the Olympics, they had a great shot at making the team, considering 2 of the top 4 teams at Nationals this year are ineligible. Have they been together very long???

Custom Title
    Two years.

There's a rumor that Lydia Manon is partnering with Brandon Forsyth, who's her boyfriend.
    I would say the rumor is true.

Skating enthusiast

No, I will not allow the double standard

For years, men have often been chastized for making important decisions with their "Johnsons". Well, I won't allow an unfair double standard, so I will say this:

If the rumors about Lydia dumping her partner Ryan after a US medal and a berth on the Olympic team with good performances next year being a certainty to skate with her boyfriend, a partner-less Ice Dancer, then she is thinking with her "Mrs. Johnson".

If I were Ryan, and I lost a probable trip to the Olympics because my partner dumped me to skate with someone who is putting his Fox Trot in her Cha-Cha, I would be devastated and feel completely betrayed.

If the rumor is true, then I am no fan of someone like Lydia, who is following her Cha-Cha instead of being a good ice dance partner and sticking with a partner who deserves a shot at success as much as she. She has stolen that from him, all for Brandon and his partner-less Fox Trot.

If it is true, she did a horrible, hurtful thing to Ryan that could negatively impact on his life forever (lost chance to skate at the Olympics). Why should anyone root for her to do well knowing she is capable of using and hurting someone all for her own gain (Cha-Cha).

Partners DO owe each other respect and committment, just like a marriage without romance, and to leave like this is akin to adultery and divorce, especially in the way it makes the dumped partner feel.

I feel very sorry for Ryan and his lost chance to skate at the 2006 Olympics.

Skating enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    Hopefully we'll see Manon back on the ice soon, with another partner!

Why? She isn't all that.

And why do you focus solely on her?

Hopefully we will see Ryan back on the ice soon, with another partner, and Lydia will fade in obscurity.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiSk8Fan
    For years, men have often been chastized for making important decisions with their "Johnsons". Well, I won't allow an unfair double standard, so I will say this:

If the rumors about Lydia dumping her partner Ryan after a US medal and a berth on the Olympic team with good performances next year being a certainty to skate with her boyfriend, a partner-less Ice Dancer, then she is thinking with her "Mrs. Johnson".

If I were Ryan, and I lost a probable trip to the Olympics because my partner dumped me to skate with someone who is putting his Fox Trot in her Cha-Cha, I would be devastated and feel completely betrayed.

If the rumor is true, then I am no fan of someone like Lydia, who is following her Cha-Cha instead of being a good ice dance partner and sticking with a partner who deserves a shot at success as much as she. She has stolen that from him, all for Brandon and his partner-less Fox Trot.

If it is true, she did a horrible, hurtful thing to Ryan that could negatively impact on his life forever (lost chance to skate at the Olympics). Why should anyone root for her to do well knowing she is capable of using and hurting someone all for her own gain (Cha-Cha).

Partners DO owe each other respect and committment, just like a marriage without romance, and to leave like this is akin to adultery and divorce, especially in the way it makes the dumped partner feel.

I feel very sorry for Ryan and his lost chance to skate at the 2006 Olympics.

LOVED it !!!!!!!!!!

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd

?!?!?!?!

The split of both of these teams surprises me...Manon/O'Meara especially (I think it's a little early for Fox Trot and Cha-Cha theories ) as they medalled at Nats this year, but Goodwin/Bommentre were one of my favourites.

It seems that a lot of US ice dance couples are splitting up and reforming with each other (if Forsyth and Manon hook up, I think that will be Forsyth's fourth partner at the very least). Maybe with one spot open for that Olympic team next year(assuming Belbin/Agosto don't get citizenship in time, and a legal Gregory/Petukhov pretty much guaranteed a spot) , it will cause some of these ice dancers to form within themselves, instead of going for Russian partners with eligibility restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by ChiSk8Fan
    Hopefully we will see Ryan back on the ice soon, with another partner, and Lydia will fade in obscurity.
    I agree. I thought Ryan was the stronger side of the team. He has great posture and presentation. I think it is pretty rotten for her to dump him like that, and not very smart considering the Olympics are in less than a year.

From the article:
    “After much consideration I decided that Ryan and I should go our separate ways, primarily because we have different long-term goals,”
    How can their "long-term goals" be that different? What are they trying to accomplish besides moving up in the ranks and getting to the Olympics. I could understand if she had said they had different philosophies, but to say she dumped him because of different goals sounds disingenuous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast