Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: It's a shame that B/S didn't win 2001 worlds....

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356

    It's a shame that B/S didn't win 2001 worlds....

    with their city lights program.

    I'm rewatching the 2001 worlds to kill the before worlds anxciety. Rewatching B/S's LP once again just felt again that the program was briliantly choreographed and interpreted. It is raerly seen the comidy number skated by pair and interpreted so briliantly. They have great speed and ice coverage than any other team shown. It is really a shame that they diddn't win world with this number. It was said that there was no rusian judge in the panel, there were canadian judge and US judge. I think no Rusian judge hurt them in this competetion?

  2. #2
    Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    with their city lights program.

    I'm rewatching the 2001 worlds to kill the before worlds anxciety. Rewatching B/S's LP once again just felt again that the program was briliantly choreographed and interpreted. It is raerly seen the comidy number skated by pair and interpreted so briliantly. They have great speed and ice coverage than any other team shown. It is really a shame that they diddn't win world with this number. It was said that there was no rusian judge in the panel, there were canadian judge and US judge. I think no Rusian judge hurt them in this competetion?
    Definitely not having a Russian judge on the panel and 2001 Worlds being in Vancouver played into Sale/Pelletier's favour. Also, with both teams having a mistake (Sale singled the sbs 2axel; B/S had a collision coming out of the split 3twist), it really came down to the second mark and what the judges prefered. I always thought B/S's "City Lights" was one of the best pairs routines to come around. I remember being surprised initially at the result, but after watching S/P's "Tristan", I have come to appreciate it as a programme that really merited winning, although it wasn't the comedy of "City Lights"

    I also thought that, perhaps, this was a little bit of NA giving the Russians a taste of their own medicine for the controversy over the Russians winning out over S/Z in Helsinki (1999) even though Yelena fell on one of the throws and S/Z skated flawlessly. This was the infamous "foot tapping" incident that got a Russian and Ukranian judge suspended for a while after being accused of signaling to each other.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Was it the 'Love Story' that S/P skated at 2001 worlds?

  4. #4
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Getting my tiffin' poodle perm at Peaches Beauty Salon during FSU downtime
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    Was it the 'Love Story' that S/P skated at 2001 worlds?
    No, S&P skated to Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde" for their LP.

  5. #5
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    26
    S/P skated to Tristan&Isolde in 2001 worlds.

    And, no I dont think having a Russian judge would have helped B/S. It wasn't a 5/4 split, it was 6/3. So even with a Russian judge(assuming they voted for Elena and Anton LOL) it still would have only been 5/4, with S/P still the winners.

  6. #6
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,186
    That was an amazing competition. Although Sale and Pelletier probably did benefit a little from "home cooking" on the part of the judges, still their Tristan and Isolde was perhaps the strongest program of their amateur career. The music was from Franz Waxman's Tristan and Isolde Fantasie for piano and orchestra. It was from one of Lori Nichol's all-time favorite CDs, Humoresque, featuring violinist Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg. Nichols has used music from this CD for several of her skaters, including Michelle Kwan (Carmen Fantasy), Josee Chouinard and Fumie Suguri.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=classical

    At the time the buzz was that the judges favored the classical lyrical program of Sale and Pelleier (performed in the "Russian" pairs style, LOL) to the quirky, edgy adventure into comedy of "City Lights." I think it was only later that more and more people started recognizing City Lights for the astonishing masterpiece that it is, IMHO.

    Anyway, this contest saw both of these pairs at their very best, IMO. It could have gone either way. At the time I thought it was the ISU's way of tossing a bone to the Canadian federation, with the understanding that Russia would get the Olympic gold the next year. Which is just what happened, sort of.

    Mathman

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by skater85
    And, no I dont think having a Russian judge would have helped B/S. It wasn't a 5/4 split, it was 6/3. So even with a Russian judge(assuming they voted for Elena and Anton LOL) it still would have only been 5/4, with S/P still the winners.
    I would thought if there was a Rusian judge at the panel, it would not be just 'one' vote, he/she could've impose the 'influence' on other judges at the panel.

    Besides I read somewhere that there was one judge admmitted that he diddn't notice Jammie singled axel, had he notice that he would put Rusian at the first.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    At the time the buzz was that the judges favored the classical lyrical program of Sale and Pelleier (performed in the "Russian" pairs style, LOL) to the quirky, edgy adventure into comedy of "City Lights." I think it was only later that more and more people started recognizing City Lights for the astonishing masterpiece that it is, IMHO.

    Anyway, this contest saw both of these pairs at their very best, IMO. It could have gone either way. At the time I thought it was the ISU's way of tossing a bone to the Canadian federation, with the understanding that Russia would get the Olympic gold the next year. Which is just what happened, sort of.

    Mathman
    I tend to agree with on both account.

    I remembered I diddn't like the 'City Light' myself when they first performed. I thought it was cheesy and 'cheap' but late when I rewatched the competetion I realised how briliant that program is. And how difficult to interprete it like that. They really branched their style. Though it's not my favorate style, but briliant is briliant. Even Peggy gave a majore prop to B/S.

  9. #9
    Figure Skating Fan Hikaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    854
    In 2001 I couldn't watch the pairs event, so I downloaded the video from B/S and S/P (I'm still looking for S/Z's video of that world championship). Both pairs skated good, maybe S/P were cleaner than B&S (the 3twist and the throw3loop wich were not like completely clean, though Sale had the problem with the 2axel) and I liked S/P "Tristan und Isolde" the had a great presentation and skated with energy, but I enjoyed even more "City Lights", the music, and it's just that the choreography they had blended so well the technical elements, that it looked so efortlessly... I'm trying to find the right word, they just set a mood from begining to end, and really bring to live their characters. When almost at the end they get into the death spiral, and you see Anton's face, it is pure performance (and the camera just loved him, showing all the expressions he would make), I just got tears in my eyes in that moment, I liked it that much. It is a comedy, but is full of emotions.

  10. #10
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Moon River..Wider than a mile....
    Posts
    92
    I started watching that B/S video a lot over the last few days....and IMHO, they should have won in 2001.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    I was at the 2001 worlds, and watching live, I had a definite feeling that the home field might have influenced the decision. When Jamie singled the double axel, the crowd ROARED with approval, as if she had in fact landed it clean. I heard that some admitted later that they missed that, which is easy to do, with the crowd noise (OK they are supposed to SEE, but some may not have the correct angle, and the slo mo had been turned off during S&P's skate, for some unknown reason). Both pairs skated great, and both programs were great but B&S were unmatched in the speed and ice coverage, interpretation of the character of the music, and unison. Choreographically the program was a masterpiece. B&S should have won on the presentation marks, even with a collision on the split triple twist (a mistake on that move rarely influences the marks) and a shaky but one foot landing on the throw triple loop by Elena. There were so many compensating factors.

    Vash

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    ...and the slo mo had been turned off during S&P's skate, for some unknown reason).
    This is news to me. Where was this reported?

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by aviva_dawn
    I started watching that B/S video a lot over the last few days....and IMHO, they should have won in 2001.
    Me too. Both their short and long were amazing. I rewind several times when I watched. Their ice coverage and speed is amazing too, there were times their boots almost touch the boards. Like Hikaru said I found Anton's expression in City Light is so characterized.

  14. #14
    cranky girl guinevere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    LOST!
    Posts
    653
    I loved the pairs competition at 2001 Worlds. I felt it could go either way, was happy for S&P when they won, but would have been happy for B&S too. I really felt it came down to aesthetics - and I wonder if B&S fell a bit victim to the "comedies don't win Oscars" syndrome. But I felt that those programs were probably the best programs of two teams at the height of their abilities, as someone else said earlier.

    ps Although I loved B&S' "City Lights" program, I actually thought their accompanying exhibition program "The Kid" was even more brilliant. I could watch that one over and over again and never get tired of it.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by guinevere
    I actually thought their accompanying exhibition program "The Kid" was even more brilliant. I could watch that one over and over again and never get tired of it.
    Was that the same program they skated in their COI tour right after that world championship?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. COMPILATIONS: KWAN (4 so far), COHEN (2 so far), HUGHES, NIKODENOV, JANET LYNN...
    By springerluv in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-12-2007, 04:42 PM
  2. Compilations on Hughes; Cohen; Nikodenov; Goebel; & Yagudin!
    By springerluv in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 11:59 AM
  3. Create your Own Skating DVDs - All Skaters
    By TOLY aka QUADLUTZ in forum 2003-04 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 04:08 PM
  4. Cant Get Enough of Alexei Yagudin 20 HOURS
    By TOLY aka QUADLUTZ in forum 2003-04 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 10:32 PM
  5. 20 Hours of Alexei yagudins Compilation Tapes and Video CDs
    By TOLY aka QUAD LUTZ in forum 2002-03 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •