Horseback Riding Lesson | Golden Skate

Horseback Riding Lesson

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Guess what? I went horseback riding this morning!!! Have not ridden in years. I had a very gentile horse named Diezel. It was great. Hope to keep it up!

:clap:

Blue Bead

Medalist
Good for you! đź‘Ť What rekindled your interest in riding again? I used to ride, train and teach equestrian classes years ago but I haven't ridden in about 15 years. Was this a trail ride or just around someone's pasture, and did you ride English or Western?

On the downside, Ladskater, you are going to have some very sore muscles and you will walk "funny" for a day or so, ;) but a nice hot bath works wonders.

Blue Bead

bronxgirl

Medalist
Horses are among the most wonderful creatures on God's earth! and riding is my favorite of all sports. It is one of the few sports I can do without weight bearing on my knee and still get a good cardio workout at the same time.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Blue Bead said:
Good for you! đź‘Ť What rekindled your interest in riding again? I used to ride, train and teach equestrian classes years ago but I haven't ridden in about 15 years. Was this a trail ride or just around someone's pasture, and did you ride English or Western?

On the downside, Ladskater, you are going to have some very sore muscles and you will walk "funny" for a day or so, ;) but a nice hot bath works wonders.

Blue Bead

This was an English riding lesson for an hour at a local stable. Yes, I am sore today! But it was worth it. I always wanted a horse since childhood and have taken advantage of any opportunity to ride. I used to draw and paint horses by the hour. I had a friend in Victoria (when I lived there) who gave me a few riding lessons (English). She is an excellent rider. Anyway, I just decided to get out and do something. Hope to get more riding lessons this spring and summer. It's a great way to spend a Sat. morning.

Blue Bead

Medalist
Ladskater,

Not only do I agree on this point: "It's a great way to spend a Sat. morning," but it's a great way to spend any morning, afternoon or night! :yes:

As you spend more time in the saddle your riding muscles will develop more tone and, consequently, those characteristic aches and pains of the earlier rides will lessen greatly. However, the aches probably won't go away entirely. At least they never did the older I got, LOL.

Blue Bead

marymotormouth

Rinkside
Congrats, Lad!

Horses are a reflection of all that is good in this world, IMO.

Here are a couple of links to sites that suggest exercises to do before riding to minimize stress, reduce the soreness afterwards, and to improve your "flow" while riding which in turn will improve you overall riding experience. Some are for riders who ride more frequently, but I think it is good knowledge.

Myself, first I stretch my core muscles. [ No, I don't do Pilates before I ride.] Then I do toe touches, side stretches, lunge stretches, calf stretches, too. It really helps lessen the pain afterward and also will improve your ride. Neck and shoulder rolls, too. I also walk next to my horse when I cool him down which also cools my leg muscles down.

http://www.horse-country.com/faqs/exercise.html

http://www.equiworld.net/uk/training/rider/horsethink.htm

Enjoy and Happy Trails!