ANWAR drilling article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ANWAR drilling article

Aloft04

On the Ice
PrincessLeppard} And Toni still hasn't told me how Clinton single handedly destroyed tourism in Alaska....:)[/QUOTE said:
I think it may have had something to do with an attractive caribou. The special prosecutors are still looking into it. :laugh:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
:cry:

Well, take the easy way out, I guess. I just saw Bush babbling on TV about looking for alternative sources, but if we are just going to tear up (and I hope Toni is right and they don't destroy the ANWAR) wildlife sanctuaries, I don't see that happening.

Alaska, you better hope that what's happening in Wyoming doesn't happen to you.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
1. I might have been for this if it gave more benefits. However, in 25 years drilling ANWAR will only make us import 65% of our oil instead of 68%. 3% is not enough of a difference to sacrifice anything. I am appaled to the lobby that drove this decision. Just shows that anything is ultimatly for sale, even ANWAR.

2. I do not believe that the environmentalists now have a chance to save ANWAR from drilling. I do, however, hope that they concentrate on holding the oil lobbyists to every single one of their promises regarding the minimal impact. They now have to act as a watchdog; I have no doubt that without it the industry will just choose the cheapest way out.

3. Toni, I hate to say this, but this decision is not up to the Alaskans, it is up to the Americans as a whole. Let me give you a different example - say Bostonians decide to build a mall on the place of the Boston Massacre. I'd say it would be up to all Americans to prevent this. That's because certain treasure, historical or natual, belong to the whole country, not just the state.

4. Cars. I live in Massachusetts, where we get plenty of snow. I drive a VW Golf, and I do just fine. SUVs are actually not as safe as many people imagine, since they tend to get into more accidents due to their lack of maneuverability (sp?).

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Ptichka said:
1. I might have been for this if it gave more benefits. However, in 25 years drilling ANWAR will only make us import 65% of our oil instead of 68%. 3% is not enough of a difference to sacrifice anything. I am appaled to the lobby that drove this decision. Just shows that anything is ultimatly for sale, even ANWAR.

Alaska's senator was on TV saying this cover our imports from Saudi Arabia for 25 years. Yeah, because we don't get that much oil from Saudi Arabia.

3. Toni, I hate to say this, but this decision is not up to the Alaskans, it is up to the Americans as a whole. Let me give you a different example - say Bostonians decide to build a mall on the place of the Boston Massacre. I'd say it would be up to all Americans to prevent this. That's because certain treasure, historical or natual, belong to the whole country, not just the state.

Excellent point.

4. Cars. I live in Massachusetts, where we get plenty of snow. I drive a VW Golf, and I do just fine. SUVs are actually not as safe as many people imagine, since they tend to get into more accidents due to their lack of maneuverability (sp?).

I had to laugh at this. While my dad drives his SUV excellently in the snow, the last big storm we had? My little Ford did fine. But all the cars off the road in ditches? SUVs. The cop I talked to said people get overconfident and cocky in them.

:)