Jennifer Don and Jonathon Hunt Announce End of Partnership | Golden Skate

Jennifer Don and Jonathon Hunt Announce End of Partnership

mmandel

On the Ice
I cannot believe that another team separated. There must be something in the water. :yes:

Hikaru

Final Flight
mmandel said:
I cannot believe that another team separated. There must be something in the water. :yes:

everyone is separating indeed! And I actually liked them. I remember in Skate America, Terry said something that at their tryout they had a fall and Hunt sliced the tip of Don's little finger, and that she decided to leave it like that instead of having surgery to put it back on, because it would take long to heal. I remember thinking "well, they better stay together!"... is so sad, because I think they were very talented.

Petlover

On the Ice
I'm very sad, I really liked this time. However, I know they have both had a lot of physical problems, and probably did need to rethink the constant pounding of competitive skating. Good luck to both Don and Hunt in all future endeavours!

Hi, Manny, glad to see you back!:)

I wonder if Jennifer Don will continue in singles.

Mathman

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:

Mathman
Math, I wondered that too. I hope so, she has such an infectious smile. :yes: Whenever they skated, I always felt happy. :biggrin:

Dee

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Mathman said:
As much as I would like to see her continue in singles, I don't think it's going to happen. I've never seen her skate singles. But from what I've read, she has wonderful stroking, edging, spins, and apparent joy on the ice. What she doesn't have are the jumps. Even though she won the first competition using COP (2003 Nebelhorn Trophy, I think), the only triples she had were the toe loop and the salchow. Also, she was scheduled to compete in singles at 2005 Nationals, but withdrew before the short program.

I am sad that Don and Hunt have ended their partnership. I enjoyed their skating. I was especially happy for Hunt, whose partnership with Laura Handy must have been a nightmare. I remember one performance where it appeared that she was berating him when it was over (2002 Nationals SP, IIRC). However, Jennifer and Jonathan had physical problems that hampered their training - especially this season. If they had been injury free, I think they could have been on the podium - really important in this year before the Olympics. Unfortunately, they dropped to 6th (from 4th last year) and I'm sure that also played into their decision.

Whatever they each decide to do, I wish them the best.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

lotusland

On the Ice
This is an unfortunate development. I am sure it is tough to stay motivated and moving forward if the training relationship has problems or the technical development has stalled.

I have to agree with hrmsk8ngnutt:

As much as I would like to see her continue in singles, I don't think it's going to happen... But from what I've read, she has wonderful stroking, edging, spins, and apparent joy on the ice. What she doesn't have are the jumps. Even though she won the first competition using COP (2003 Nebelhorn Trophy, I think), the only triples she had were the toe loop and the salchow.

Although Jenny is a really nice skater, she unfortunatley has not mastered the jumping element that is so necessary for her to see success in singles. I hope she decides to carry on in pairs and starts looking for a new partner ASAP. She has such a great quality to her skating ... I hate it when good skaters leave competition.

As for Jonathan Hunt, I hope his hip surgery heals well and thoroughly and he too decides to carry on. I am sure there is the right partner out there for him somewhere. Good male pair skaters are hard to come by.

Eeyora

Final Flight
What a shame. They had such great potential. They were a joy to watch.

Nune621

Spectator
What a pity that they end their partnership.
Sure, they're insured.
But if several informations in the past were true,
they also been a couple off the ice. So I'm just
asking myself, if that isn't the major reason for their
split...

What do you think ?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
What a shame! And, Jennifer is a wonderful singles skaters (besides the jumps). I wasn't impressed with her until I attended the 2004 U.S. Nationals. She had a rough skate jump wise, but she completely won me over with her carriage and delivery. If only she could pull off the jumps!

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Injuries

This is not a surprise when we consider that both of them have had major surgery on major joints to repair skating-related problems.

For Pairs Skating, it seems like she is a bigger partner than most. Injuries could certainly have cut short this team's career together, and in skating all together.

Let's give the kids a break, it seems like their careers are over, ending with injuries and surgeries and rehabilitation. They are moving on.

brenlynn

On the Ice
Nune621 said:
What a pity that they end their partnership.
Sure, they're insured.
But if several informations in the past were true,
they also been a couple off the ice. So I'm just
asking myself, if that isn't the major reason for their
split...

What do you think ?

could very well have everything to do with their tendancies to be plagued with injuries, nothing more.

mpal2

Final Flight
I always wondered what they would have skated like if she had decided to quit singles and concentrate on pairs. It probably wouldn't have helped him prevent his injuries, but I wonder if it would have prevented her back injury.