question about dual medalist | Golden Skate

question about dual medalist

sk8m8

Final Flight
I was just wondering....from the memories and historians on the board, who are the skaters that have held a medal in more that one dicipline. I know that Kristi and Rudi were US pairs champs and also individual singles champs later. I was just thinking, how many skaters have held medals in multiple diciplines?

A good example would be John Baldwin, who held either novice or junior men's championship medal and now has a couple of pairs medals...

just curious

brad640

On the Ice
Surya Bonaly was a world singles medalist and she won the 1986 World Junior Tumbling Championship.

screech

Final Flight
I think David Pelletier won a medal in mens singles in Jr. or something at Canadian nationals, and we all know about his pairs career...

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Kyoko Ina competed in Ladies Singles for a while and took the pewter (4th) at the 1995 US Championships, and, of course, has multiple pairs medals.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Ken Shelley won both the U.S. pairs title (with JoJo Starbuck) and the U.S. men's title in 1972 and thus competed in both disciplines at that year's Olympics.

Galindo and Yamaguchi also each won Junior Worlds as singles skaters (1987 and 88, respectively, IIRC) and won the 1988 pairs title at Junior Worlds as well.

BTW, at 1985 U.S. Nationals Jerod Swallow won gold in junior dance and silver in junior pairs, with different partners, and competed in both disciplines at Junior Worlds.

If you want to consider school figures a separate discipline within the U.S. during the 1990s, Michael Weiss was 1990 U.S. novice men's figures champion (junior and senior events were still combined that year but novice was separated) and senior silver medalist in 1991; John Baldwin Jr. was the senior men's figure champ in 1995. Not that there were many men competing.

Medaling in multiple disciplines was more common in the early years of the 20th century, when there were a lot fewer skaters competing in any discipline, but less common as the fields got deeper. And so probably more common more recently nationally in smaller countries.

gkelly

Record Breaker
For example, Stephen Carr was many (17?) times pair champion of Australia with his sister Danielle -- perhaps there were no other senior pairs in Australia many of those years. He also won the men's singles title at least once and competed at the 1994 Olympics in both disciplines.

millyskate

Rinkside
Surya was also notional pairs champ and got some trampolining distinctions i believe! Quite a record.
Jane Torvill was national pairs champ before switching to dance, but then a load of dancers started out as singles or pairs skaters.

lotusland

On the Ice
This is going back well before my time, mid 1940's to late 1940's. Suzanne Morrow (Canada) won, or at least medalled in 3 disciplines: Ladies, Pairs and Fours, at the Canadian Championships.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
gkelly said:
For example, Stephen Carr was many (17?) times pair champion of Australia with his sister Danielle -- perhaps there were no other senior pairs in Australia many of those years. He also won the men's singles title at least once and competed at the 1994 Olympics in both disciplines.

I was just reading about this the other day, actually. The Carrs won 19 (!!) National pairs titles (that has GOT to be some kind of record) and Stephen won 4 singles titles.

Philip Dulebohn won Novice Men in 1989 and Senior Pairs in 2003.

Kyoko Ina also won Junior Ladies in 1989.

Randy Gardner won Junior Men in 1974 in addition to his Pairs titles with Tai Babilonia.

In addition to her 9 National titles, Maribel Vinson also won 6 Pairs titles with 2 different partners over a span of 10 years. So perhaps if Michelle wins #10 next year and decides to REALLY go for Ms. Vinson's record..... Well, I understand that about half the guys from this year's National Senior Pairs are available.... :biggrin:

JonnyCoop said:
In addition to her 9 National titles, Maribel Vinson also won 6 Pairs titles with 2 different partners over a span of 10 years. So perhaps if Michelle wins #10 next year and decides to REALLY go for Ms. Vinson's record..... Well, I understand that about half the guys from this year's National Senior Pairs are available.... :biggrin:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Matt

On the Ice
The French women figure skaters seem to have a talent for winning medals in other, unusual sports: IIRC, Vanessa Gusmeroli (who won a bronze at '97 Worlds) was also a world champion in barefoot water skiing!

Here's another: Annette Dytrt, who now skates for Germany, has only medaled in singles (AFAIK), but has won the same discipline in three different countries!! : Czech Republic (where she is originally from), Germany (where she now represents), and France (where she competed as a guest of honour and ended up winning the title!)

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Wasn't Marina Keilmann a roller skating champion as well as German national champion? (and I apologize if I spelled her name wrong...)

kemisha

Rinkside
gkelly said:

Danielle Carr ( McGrath) and Stephen Carr -- 19 times Australian Pair Skating Champions

Jacqueline Mason (Kendall- Baker) and Mervyn Bower -- 12 times Australian Pair Skating Champions

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
kemisha said:
Danielle Carr ( McGrath) and Stephen Carr -- 19 times Australian Pair Skating Champions

Jacqueline Mason (Kendall- Baker) and Mervyn Bower -- 12 times Australian Pair Skating Champions

Pretty easy to do this kind of thing if you're the only pair in the country, I should imagine. :laugh: (I'm only guessing as to the 2nd pair listed; but I'm pretty sure the Carrs ran "unopposed" for at least most of those 19. At any rate they were in the World Top 10 a couple of times and Australia never sent a 2nd pair to Worlds in the years afterward....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
wasn't Paul Wylie a jr. pairs champion/medalist as well as a singles medalist/champ?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
IIRC Todd Sand was the Danish Mens Singles Champion before becoming a US & World pairs champion with Jenny Meno & Natasha Kuchiki.
Robert Waggonhoffer (deceased) was '79 US pairs silver medalist with partner Vicki Heasley & in 1981was a bronze medalist at the US Nationals behind Scott Hamilton & David Santee.