Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Judging and Commentating wishes

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    111

    Judging and Commentating wishes

    I hope the judging and the commentators will be fair to all skaters. I don't think they need to ruin the rest of a performance by going on and on about a mistake or run down the skaters especially while they are still skating. If the skaters falls they can groan like the rest of us but they don't need to point out the obvious and go on and on about it. They can save it for the replays. I don't think Terry Gannon needs to speak at all unless he is making an announcement and hopefully he will contain himself while our girls are skating. Just my wishes for Worlds.

  2. #2
    Always Believed! Sk8n Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    520
    Paul Martini (on Canadian CBC), please do not talk through all the programs!!!

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,035
    Is Peggy Fleming commentating? If so, I hope that she doesn't jinx the ladies event, as she has been doing steadily the past two years. (2004 Nats -- she predicts Sasha; 2004 Worlds -- she is "95 percent sure" that Michelle will win; Campbells opening the '04/'05 season -- "Shizuka is the one to beat", and she has been doing poorly all year; 2005 Nats -- Michelle will give a terrific skate -- while Kwan won, her skate wasn't terrific)

  4. #4
    Custom Title brad640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    I don't think Terry Gannon needs to speak at all unless he is making an announcement and hopefully he will contain himself while our girls are skating. Just my wishes for Worlds.
    And if he does speak, hopefully he learned from his attempt to be creative at nationals:

    During Sasha's LP after she fell on the 2nd lutz:
    Dick: "Oh!"
    Peggy: "It's like when she takes a fall it like breaks the spell of this GORgeous skater. She is absolutely exquisite with her line" [How many times has Peggy said that Sasha's falls "break the spell?"]
    D: "It's the missteps that are so dangerous"
    Terry: "It's the 'Mis'-tery of Sasha Cohen. When she's on she's probably the most talented skater in the world-"
    P: "-absolutely-"
    T: "-but when will she be on. That's the great mis-, mystery"
    D: "The problem is that she is on -most of the time- but it's the misstep that occurs in the middle of it that destroys that"

    In the time that the commentators completed this exchange, Sasha landed 3t, 3s, and 2a and performed her layback.

  5. #5
    Not the droid you're looking for
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Whine Country
    Posts
    609
    While I also wish for fair judging and quiet commentators, my biggest hope is that ESPN has worked out their sound glitches so that we can hear the music over the commentary!
    And while I'm wishing, may we please have more skating and less fluff? You just know that they're going to be dragging out the footage that we've already seen a dozen times - Irina's illness, Michelle's possible Olympic aspirations, T&M's fall, Shen & Zhao's dumplings...you get the idea - and while I wish all the skaters the best in their personal lives, I don't need to hear about them. Not more than once in a season, anyway.
    I don't know if I can stand to wait another week!
    Rave

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    835
    For the American viewers, I hope that "Uncle Dick" Button doesn't:

    * comment on pairs ladies' fannies sticking out during death spirals
    * eat his hat
    * slobber over Sasha's hike-up-the-leg spin
    * call somebody his "refrigerator break"
    * doesn't pooh-pooh non-US skaters who may be threats to N.Am. medalists, just because of that fact.

    I hope that Dick DOES give us lots of moments of laughter...but positive ones!

    I hope that all US commentators tone down the jingoism and remember where they are...this is NOT the time to lament "that Soviet/Russian dominance in pair skating!"

    I hope that Dick, Peggy, Terry, Susie, Peter, and anyone else on the team have a marvelous time & keep an open mind on non-North American skaters!

    p.s. - I sure hope that they keep Christine Brennan off -camera this time around! Let Peter or Susie do the backstage interviews & 'warm-ups' reporting!

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    I hope that Dick, Peggy, Terry, Susie, Peter, and anyone else on the team have a marvelous time & keep an open mind on non-North American skaters!
    You make it sound like commentators from other countries are fair to skaters from other countries when there's a medal on the line. The only ones I've heard talk about being fair don't have medal contenders. It's all part of their job to talk up the home crowd.

    Commentators also make competitions sound closer than what they are to keep people interested. What are they supposed to say? "Everyone can stop watching now. Plushenko has finished skating and he won. The other 5 left to skate don't matter."

    What they say and what they know are two different things.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    821
    no clips of Peter touring Russia's historic sites instead airing more skaters

  9. #9
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,110
    Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    During Sasha's LP after she fell on the 2nd lutz:
    Dick: "Oh!"
    Peggy: "It's like when she takes a fall it like breaks the spell of this GORgeous skater. She is absolutely exquisite with her line" [How many times has Peggy said that Sasha's falls "break the spell?"]
    D: "It's the missteps that are so dangerous"
    Terry: "It's the 'Mis'-tery of Sasha Cohen. When she's on she's probably the most talented skater in the world-"
    P: "-absolutely-"
    T: "-but when will she be on. That's the great mis-, mystery"
    D: "The problem is that she is on -most of the time- but it's the misstep that occurs in the middle of it that destroys that"

    In the time that the commentators completed this exchange, Sasha landed 3t, 3s, and 2a and performed her layback.
    Well, at least the gang of three delivered some comic relief!

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I want Plushenkofest
    Posts
    923
    Who is doing the commentary for Worlds? Dick, Peggy and Terry or Paul and Terry? Because I have only hear Dick and Peggy for the event on ABC, but not for the ESPN's ones.

  11. #11
    Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,801

    My wish...

    Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    And if he does speak, hopefully he learned from his attempt to be creative at nationals:

    During Sasha's LP after she fell on the 2nd lutz:
    Dick: "Oh!"
    Peggy: "It's like when she takes a fall it like breaks the spell of this GORgeous skater. She is absolutely exquisite with her line" [How many times has Peggy said that Sasha's falls "break the spell?"]
    D: "It's the missteps that are so dangerous"
    Terry: "It's the 'Mis'-tery of Sasha Cohen. When she's on she's probably the most talented skater in the world-"
    P: "-absolutely-"
    T: "-but when will she be on. That's the great mis-, mystery"
    D: "The problem is that she is on -most of the time- but it's the misstep that occurs in the middle of it that destroys that"

    In the time that the commentators completed this exchange, Sasha landed 3t, 3s, and 2a and performed her layback.
    There is a big difference between "commentating" and "babbling." I get tired of the babbling as in the example above. I hope they COMMENTATE and leave the BABBLE at home.

    DG

  12. #12
    On Edge Piel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bayfield, WI
    Posts
    3,973
    I LOVE the coomentary and the babble, LOL! The first time I watch I am mainly looking to see who lands their jumps and who plays Zamboni, so the babble doesn't interfere with that. Also, I'm anxious to know if the commentators agree with what I'm thinking. Once the competition is over and I know how it turned out I can go back and rewatch for more detailed analysis. At that time I just tune Dick, Peggy, whoever out. For folks who just watch Worlds the fluff pieces are probably new. For the average viewer who is NOT a skater and only watches casually the commentary is a big part of the entertainment. My sister and her friends actually have a little wagering contest going as to what time in the LP SC will fall, how many have fun comments MK will make, and how many times IS & family's health problems will be mentioned. She borrowed my Nationals videos to help her determine what times to choose for SC. They are also wagering on wedgies and who shows the most cleavage....hubbies are getting in on that one.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,279
    I don't think Dick and Peggy are doing Worlds, since it's not on ABC. The Worlds broadcast team is probably going to be Paul Wylie, Suzy Wynne, Terry Gannon and Peter Carruthers.

    Paul is pretty low-key, but Terry has a tendency to babble on and on about nothing. What's really interesting to me, ABC is doing a series of programs on the Triple Crown prep races, and Terry Gannon is doing some of the commentary. Figure skating and thoroughbred horse racing are my two favorite sports, and Terry is involved in both.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    I don't think Dick and Peggy are doing Worlds, since it's not on ABC. ......

    WHAT? Do Uncle Dick? A Worlds without Dick is like a bagel without cream cheese!!!

    I remember how awful it was the year when Dick had an accident & couldn't attend Nationals & Worlds. I kept thinking, as I watched skaters, "If Dick were here, he'd be scolding her for her poor layback spin!"

    WISHIN' FOR DICK!!!!

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    My only wish is that the commentators will keep quiet during the skate and let the viewer enjoy the program and draw his/her own conclusions. I particularly hate it when the comments have nothing to do with what is happening on the ice- that means most of the time on US TV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •