Judging and Commentating wishes | Golden Skate

Judging and Commentating wishes

Peggy

On the Ice
I hope the judging and the commentators will be fair to all skaters. I don't think they need to ruin the rest of a performance by going on and on about a mistake or run down the skaters especially while they are still skating. If the skaters falls they can groan like the rest of us but they don't need to point out the obvious and go on and on about it. They can save it for the replays. I don't think Terry Gannon needs to speak at all unless he is making an announcement and hopefully he will contain himself while our girls are skating. Just my wishes for Worlds.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Is Peggy Fleming commentating? If so, I hope that she doesn't jinx the ladies event, as she has been doing steadily the past two years. (2004 Nats -- she predicts Sasha; 2004 Worlds -- she is "95 percent sure" that Michelle will win; Campbells opening the '04/'05 season -- "Shizuka is the one to beat", and she has been doing poorly all year; 2005 Nats -- Michelle will give a terrific skate -- while Kwan won, her skate wasn't terrific)

brad640

On the Ice
Peggy said:
I don't think Terry Gannon needs to speak at all unless he is making an announcement and hopefully he will contain himself while our girls are skating. Just my wishes for Worlds.

And if he does speak, hopefully he learned from his attempt to be creative at nationals:

During Sasha's LP after she fell on the 2nd lutz:
Dick: "Oh!"
Peggy: "It's like when she takes a fall it like breaks the spell of this GORgeous skater. She is absolutely exquisite with her line" [How many times has Peggy said that Sasha's falls "break the spell?"]
D: "It's the missteps that are so dangerous"
Terry: "It's the 'Mis'-tery of Sasha Cohen. When she's on she's probably the most talented skater in the world-"
P: "-absolutely-"
T: "-but when will she be on. That's the great mis-, mystery"
D: "The problem is that she is on -most of the time- but it's the misstep that occurs in the middle of it that destroys that"

In the time that the commentators completed this exchange, Sasha landed 3t, 3s, and 2a and performed her layback.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
While I also wish for fair judging and quiet commentators, my biggest hope is that ESPN has worked out their sound glitches so that we can hear the music over the commentary!
And while I'm wishing, may we please have more skating and less fluff? You just know that they're going to be dragging out the footage that we've already seen a dozen times - Irina's illness, Michelle's possible Olympic aspirations, T&M's fall, Shen & Zhao's dumplings...you get the idea - and while I wish all the skaters the best in their personal lives, I don't need to hear about them. Not more than once in a season, anyway.
I don't know if I can stand to wait another week!
Rave

Frau Muller

Final Flight
For the American viewers, I hope that "Uncle Dick" Button doesn't:

* comment on pairs ladies' fannies sticking out during death spirals
* eat his hat
* slobber over Sasha's hike-up-the-leg spin
* call somebody his "refrigerator break"
* doesn't pooh-pooh non-US skaters who may be threats to N.Am. medalists, just because of that fact.

I hope that Dick DOES give us lots of moments of laughter...but positive ones!

I hope that all US commentators tone down the jingoism and remember where they are...this is NOT the time to lament "that Soviet/Russian dominance in pair skating!"

I hope that Dick, Peggy, Terry, Susie, Peter, and anyone else on the team have a marvelous time & keep an open mind on non-North American skaters!

p.s. - I sure hope that they keep Christine Brennan off -camera this time around! Let Peter or Susie do the backstage interviews & 'warm-ups' reporting! :agree:

mpal2

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
I hope that Dick, Peggy, Terry, Susie, Peter, and anyone else on the team have a marvelous time & keep an open mind on non-North American skaters!

You make it sound like commentators from other countries are fair to skaters from other countries when there's a medal on the line. The only ones I've heard talk about being fair don't have medal contenders. It's all part of their job to talk up the home crowd.

Commentators also make competitions sound closer than what they are to keep people interested. What are they supposed to say? "Everyone can stop watching now. Plushenko has finished skating and he won. The other 5 left to skate don't matter."

What they say and what they know are two different things.

Eeyora

Final Flight
no clips of Peter touring Russia's historic sites instead airing more skaters

brad640 said:
Peggy: "It's like when she takes a fall it like breaks the spell of this GORgeous skater. She is absolutely exquisite with her line" [How many times has Peggy said that Sasha's falls "break the spell?"]
Terry: "It's the 'Mis'-tery of Sasha Cohen. When she's on she's probably the most talented skater in the world-"
D: "The problem is that she is on -most of the time- but it's the misstep that occurs in the middle of it that destroys that"

In the time that the commentators completed this exchange, Sasha landed 3t, 3s, and 2a and performed her layback.
:rofl: Well, at least the gang of three delivered some comic relief!

Ximena

Final Flight
Who is doing the commentary for Worlds? Dick, Peggy and Terry or Paul and Terry? Because I have only hear Dick and Peggy for the event on ABC, but not for the ESPN's ones.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
My wish...

brad640 said:
And if he does speak, hopefully he learned from his attempt to be creative at nationals:

There is a big difference between "commentating" and "babbling." I get tired of the babbling as in the example above. I hope they COMMENTATE and leave the BABBLE at home.

DG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I LOVE the coomentary and the babble, LOL! The first time I watch I am mainly looking to see who lands their jumps and who plays Zamboni, so the babble doesn't interfere with that. Also, I'm anxious to know if the commentators agree with what I'm thinking. Once the competition is over and I know how it turned out I can go back and rewatch for more detailed analysis. At that time I just tune Dick, Peggy, whoever out. For folks who just watch Worlds the fluff pieces are probably new. For the average viewer who is NOT a skater and only watches casually the commentary is a big part of the entertainment. My sister and her friends actually have a little wagering contest going as to what time in the LP SC will fall, how many have fun comments MK will make, and how many times IS & family's health problems will be mentioned. She borrowed my Nationals videos to help her determine what times to choose for SC. They are also wagering on wedgies and who shows the most cleavage....hubbies are getting in on that one.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Dick and Peggy are doing Worlds, since it's not on ABC. The Worlds broadcast team is probably going to be Paul Wylie, Suzy Wynne, Terry Gannon and Peter Carruthers.

Paul is pretty low-key, but Terry has a tendency to babble on and on about nothing. What's really interesting to me, ABC is doing a series of programs on the Triple Crown prep races, and Terry Gannon is doing some of the commentary. Figure skating and thoroughbred horse racing are my two favorite sports, and Terry is involved in both.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
chuckm said:
I don't think Dick and Peggy are doing Worlds, since it's not on ABC. ......

WHAT? Do Uncle Dick? A Worlds without Dick is like a bagel without cream cheese!!!

I remember how awful it was the year when Dick had an accident & couldn't attend Nationals & Worlds. I kept thinking, as I watched skaters, "If Dick were here, he'd be scolding her for her poor layback spin!"

WISHIN' FOR DICK!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Vash01

Medalist
My only wish is that the commentators will keep quiet during the skate and let the viewer enjoy the program and draw his/her own conclusions. I particularly hate it when the comments have nothing to do with what is happening on the ice- that means most of the time on US TV.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
My only wish is that the commentators will keep quiet during the skate and let the viewer enjoy the program and draw his/her own conclusions. I particularly hate it when the comments have nothing to do with what is happening on the ice- that means most of the time on US TV.

I couldn't agree more!

DG

fldevine

Spectator
Dick and peggy?

I'm almost sure they will be commentating. I read somewhere that Peggy said she would have a surprise guest in the box with her. Over on the MKF there was a discussion on who it could be. :) Some thought Kimmie, some thought Sarah. I have no idea. We at least need Dick and Peggy for the ladies as usual.

grannie frances

Last edited:

brad640

On the Ice
I hope Peggy's surprise guest is Kristi or Oksana or Todd Eldredge, or Matt Savoie. Hopefully it will not be Brian Boitano, the cast of Ice Princess, Christine Brennan, Irina's mom, or Meno and Sand.

I think Dick and Peggy have a joint contract for ABC/ESPN but they only do the big events like nationals or worlds or those close to home like skate America. They let Susie, Peter, Paul and Terry do all the long trips. I think Susie will be calling ice dance so listen for Terry's flirtatious comments about her skating days and innuendo about twizzles.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Brad...

brad640 said:
I think Susie will be calling ice dance so listen for Terry's flirtatious comments about her skating days and innuendo about twizzles.

Your comment got me thinking. First, I hope they leave the Crotch Cam at home this time.

Second, I think the REAL reason age limits were put on the young skaters to compete in senior international events is all Dick's fault. He just seems to have a "thing" for those young girls, and I bet the ISU implemented the age limits to protect them from Dick.

DG

2ndmark

Rinkside
I'm not certain but I think ABC owns ESPN, so that should mean Dick and Peggy will be doing Worlds. I admire Peggy's positive calm approach but it's Dick's excitable rants that make a competition for me. There's just something comforting about knowing that he will point out a poor layback or "unfortunate position."