Shen/Zhao not fully recovered | Golden Skate

Shen/Zhao not fully recovered

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
From FSU:

"Zhao's injury is still not fully recovered. Shen also got some problem with her feet."

This worries me....

Worlds are looking grim for them :cry:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
is this the same injury as two years ago? or a new one that I hadn't heard about? :confused:

mzheng

Record Breaker
For Zhao, I believe it was the same one which caused him withdraw from the 4CC.

jesslily

Final Flight
Most skaters have some sort of injuries or pain year around, but they prefer not to let the public know. Releasing the info of your own pain or injury only let your competitiors feel more confident. How do you know Shen $ Zhao's competitiors are all recovered or injury free?

emma

Record Breaker
is this true?

Mzheng and hongligl...and others who may know, is this report accurate? I feel awful. Also, do we have news regarding when the Chinese team will travel to Moscow?

mzheng

Record Breaker
I don't really know. Not going chinese board that often, take too much time to load the pages.

Just read a few days back that Shen/Zhao back to ice trainning. But Zhao's injury diddn't fully recovered at that time, they only practice some lift together. Zhao skip the sbs jumps. But they definitely will compete at Russia. After 2003 worlds fisco of Shen's injury, I don't think they will shy away from anything. Their coach BinYao commented, the result of this worlds is not that important, the goal is going out there, put their programs out see what's going on with the NJS, stay health, then next year's Olympics. Zhao's injury was the old one, has been a while but at 4CC it was aggrevated.

In the interview also a question was asked that "Did you hear that Russian T/M recently made some negative comment about your skating (critisizing their throw technique). What do you think?". Zhao answered "The Russians from looking down on us to criticising us, they must feel our threaten. I usually don't comment on our competetors skating. Let our skating speaks itself".

I must say out of all chinese top skaters (from Lulu to S/Z), S/Z came out more grateful and show more appreciations. I began to like Lulu's skating at her amature years (the 1995 and 1996 worlds, 1998 Olympics), but I still can't warm up to her charachter for her earlier years comments. But may be she was young then, she sounds much mature now adays in her latest interviews. But again since she has been lived in western, having herown experience in both worlds, good or bad. And she is back in china to open a skating school, she must come out show some appreciation.

brad640

On the Ice
jesslily said:
Most skaters have some sort of injuries or pain year around, but they prefer not to let the public know. Releasing the info of your own pain or injury only let your competitiors feel more confident. How do you know Shen $ Zhao's competitiors are all recovered or injury free?

Any of S/Z's competitors who count on that injury for an advantage are in for a rude awakening. S/Z have shown many times before that they can deliver amazing performances in spite of physical pain and injury. They are incredibly tough, both physically and mentally.

jesslily

Final Flight
Shen & Zhao do have injuries, and they and the Chinese federation have tried very hard to keep the info not release to the public especially their competitiors. I don't think that their competitiors will announce that they'll take this advantage, but acturally they will feel a lot less pressure.

I definitely believe Shen & Zhao can delieve their best performances at the world. They have competed before while they were not 100 percent healthy.

hongligl

Final Flight
Well, I feel terrible. I followed the news and after I sent out the post that Zhao was fully recovered, I read something almost immidiately that he was not. Now I'm pretty sure that he is not fully recovered. I didn't post anything about it as I remembered that Zhao didn't want to release the news to "outside" world. But they talked to journalists about it. I'm confused. Maybe they are just honest people and when journalists asked about it they had to tell the truth. I respect their personality, they just do their job and never complain and never talk behind others back. But I do think releasing info about their own injuries would make the competitors more confident about themselves.

Xue had a hard fall when a journalist used flashlight to take their picture during their closed training section. Nobody was supposed to be there and I guess Xue was just caught in a shock. Poor girl. She also has a swollen foot because of boot problem. They might have some trouble for the sbs jumps( hopefully not). But they upgraded their programs a lot, lifting and step sequences, I read Yao said about death spiral too but didn't read that from Zhao. Hopefully they can make it up with their artistry and other program content if they made any mistakes in the jump elements. They sounded very confident when leaving for the airport yesterday.

I wish that both S/Z and T/M put out two perfect performances. And I wish P/T can put it together this time. I just want to see everybody at their best.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Ditto That...

hongligl said:
I wish that both S/Z and T/M put out two perfect performances. And I wish P/T can put it together this time. I just want to see everybody at their best.

I too hope that all the skaters can just do their best. They have all worked very hard, and my fondest hope is for fair judging and a great competition that the whole world can enjoy.

DG

kyla2

Final Flight
S and Z

S & Z will give it their best shot and that may well be good enough to win the gold. They are magnificent.

Vash01

Medalist
brad640 said:
Any of S/Z's competitors who count on that injury for an advantage are in for a rude awakening. S/Z have shown many times before that they can deliver amazing performances in spite of physical pain and injury. They are incredibly tough, both physically and mentally.

I wonder if their injury - if there is one- is being made public simply to lull their competitors into complacency. They did that in 2003 and it worked. In fact Totmianina had an injury early in the season but I don't see T&M's injury being mentioned as an issue. IMO theirs is more mental than physical at this point. Also many skaters are used to skating with injuries. Evan Lysacek has skated with a hip injury all season, and he just seems to keep getting better. I don't think S&Z's injury is going to be a factor.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
They did that in 2003 and it worked. In fact Totmianina had an injury early in the season but I don't see T&M's injury being mentioned as an issue.

It's rediculas to say S/Z did it deliblately in 2003. ppl in DC attend the worlds wittness the nasty fall. It was not 'faked', they diddn't skate at the gala and shen stay off ice for the whole of couple of monthes. They even gave up the chance to skate at the European toure, the chance to earn them some forgrein currency.

As for T/M, there is articles running in NA newspaper, high praise with their courage and each ESPN FS pairs broadcasting. How good they've been skated after the accident.

hongligl

Final Flight
mzheng said:
It's rediculas to say S/Z did it deliblately in 2003. ppl in DC attend the worlds wittness the nasty fall. It was not 'faked', they diddn't skate at the gala and shen stay off ice for the whole of couple of monthes. They even gave up the chance to skate at the European toure, the chance to earn them some forgrein currency.

As for T/M, there is articles running in NA newspaper, high praise with their courage and each ESPN FS pairs broadcasting. How good they've been skated after the accident.

Thank you mzheng, that's exactly what I wanted to say.

DivakawaFan

Rinkside
mzheng said:
I must say out of all chinese top skaters (from Lulu to S/Z), S/Z came out more grateful and show more appreciations. I began to like Lulu's skating at her amature years (the 1995 and 1996 worlds, 1998 Olympics), but I still can't warm up to her charachter for her earlier years comments. But may be she was young then, she sounds much mature now adays in her latest interviews. But again since she has been lived in western, having herown experience in both worlds, good or bad. And she is back in china to open a skating school, she must come out show some appreciation.

Oh, what do you mean by this? What has Lulu said in the past? And when? Also, how is she perceived these days?

Also, not too good to hear about S/Z but hope they can still skate well. So many seem to have boot problems lately!!

Hikaru

Final Flight
hongligl said:
Thank you mzheng, that's exactly what I wanted to say.

Exactly my thoughts as well! Shen and Zhao are very strong, I have a lot of confidence in them. I hope all of the skaters skate beautifully.

mzheng

Record Breaker
DivakawaFan said:
Oh, what do you mean by this? What has Lulu said in the past? And when? Also, how is she perceived these days?
!!
She said that chinese federation took almost all the money she earned through the competetion and tours, she fogort to mention that chinese federation also fully funded her trainning cost even before she became the world class skater. They even sended her to train in US. I don't think her family could possibly afford this at the time. And I believe this was a big treat to any chinese athlete back then.

Said that she 'hated' her coach to forcing her cut her hair but she always wanted to having a long hair like other girls (actually I thought the short cut hair flattered her more than the long one), but I cut her some slacks on this gave her benefit of doubt that she misused word 'hate' in english because it is not her first language.

Said that because chinese federation never had a skater like her level so they just took away whatever she earned.....etc.

All those comments she made in a TV episode back in 2000 or 1999?..... sounded to me just a little too....

While Shen had commented that they are lucky to skate in China. The federation covered all the expense. That in foreign countries, like US, skaters have to cover all the cost. You must be born in a relative rich family to take up the sport. While in china they got fully covered by the government.

Maybe Lulu just young back then diddn't give a lot of the thought when these comments were made. Now having lived in both worlds, seen good and bad in both worlds. She grown matured. Knows to appreciating things.

Last edited by a moderator: