Article: New challenge for Kwan at worlds | Golden Skate

Article: New challenge for Kwan at worlds

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Even more surprising than that is the fact that the tone of the article actually was not snippy or condescending, like their last couple of Nationals write-ups have been.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
Even more surprising than that is the fact that the tone of the article actually was not snippy or condescending, like their last couple of Nationals write-ups have been.

But is that more Michelle Kwan's reputation & the fact that the major sports media outlets respect HER or increased respect for figure skating in general?

Kwanford Wife said:
But is that more Michelle Kwan's reputation & the fact that the major sports media outlets respect HER or increased respect for figure skating in general?
Sports Illustrated has a reputation for snarking at Michelle particularly. This article, attributed to the Associated Press, seems to be unsigned, but their usual writer, one E. M. Swift, does seem to be on the lookout for ways to give an anti-Michelle twist to S.I.'s figure skating coverage.

Their article about Nationals (Jan. 20, 2005), for instance, played up this angle: Michelle came in thinking she was going to make history, but then ha ha she was completely upstaged by Kimmie Meissner, who took all of Michelle's applause and glory, etc., etc. Swift went on to say that over-the-hill Michelle has held the sport back for years by not doing triple-triples.

Oh well, I guess it sells magazines. :frown2:

Mathman

gezando

Final Flight
Swift bashed Cal Ripkin in that previous article too. What a fool, I guess the average SI reader probably only follows skating once every 4 yrs. By comparing Kwan to Ripkin even though he meant that as a diss, he was in fact making Kwan more accessible to the average reader. Seriously, Swift thought he could dimish Ripkin's iconic status in baseball history?