Help With Scoring | Golden Skate

Help With Scoring

LEB

Spectator
Forgive my ignorance but I know nothing about COP scoring. Can someone please explain it. What is an average score and what is the criteria? Thank you.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi LEB...

Below is the main Figure Skating page on the ISU official web site. If you scroll all the way to the bottom, there are several selections that pertain to the new judging system. At first it seemed very confusing, but I've been a student all season LOL, so I'm getting the hang of it.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-128610-129918-nav-list,00.html

Basically, skaters accumulate points in two key categories - Technical Element Scores (TES) and Component Scores (PCS).

The TES consists of both jump and non-jump elements. Non-jump elements are basically broken down into spins and footwork for singles, and of course lifts are included for pairs. Dance has a list as well.

A "base value" of points is assigned to each Technical Element. For spins and steps, a "level" of 1, 2 or 3 is assigned based on the difficulty of the element, and there is specific criteria for that. There is a technical caller who "calls" each element as they see it performed. That determines the base value according to the rules. The judges can then assign a Grade of Execution (-3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3) based on specific criteria based on the quality of the element performed. The TES score given to the skater is just an addition of how they scored for each element performed.

The PCS category is broken down into Skating Skills, Performance / Execution, Interpretation, Choreography, and Transitions. I think all would agree this is the more subjective category, and in essence replaces the old "presentation" score under the 6.0 system. A max of 10 points can be awarded in each of the 5 categories.

Personal opinions about this new system vary widely, and won't get into that here. (But LOL, I'm sure someone will!!)

What helped me learn and understand it better was focusing on one event type (I picked singles). I printed out the rules pertaining to singles and read the info to at least get a basic understanding of the criteria and terminology.

The ISU events this year are also posted on the ISU site where COP was used. That includes all the GP events, Euros and 4 Continents. You can go into the event results, and actually view the detailed judges scoring for each skater. I found it helpful to print a few of these score sheets, and then watch the actual performances on tape (I save all that - don't know if you have any of these events on tape). By watching a few performances and comparing to what is on the score sheets, I was able to get the hang of things pretty quickly.

I know this might sound overwhelming and complicated, but it's really IMO not that bad once you get into it. And I sure like having this more detailed scoring information to better understand exactly why the skaters placed where they did.

Best wishes!! If you decide to tack a crash course this weekend, I'll keep checking in to help answer your questions. I am by no means the master around here - I nominate Hockeyfan for that!!

DG

Hi, LEB. Welcome to Golden Skate.

Here is a link to the International Skating Union's page on the new scoring system.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-152055-169271-nav-list,00.html

If you begin with the "Summary," that's a pretty good starting point. To see what constitutes a great perfromance, click on "personal bests" for the various skaters. The way it has been going this year, a score in the 170s is very good for the ladies and anything over 200 is very good for the men.

Basically, under the new system you accumulate points for each trick that you do, plus you get a few bonus points (Grade of Execution) for doing them especially well. Then you get five "component scores" in areas of skating skills, tramnsitions, choreography, interpretation and execution, which are like the old presentation scores.

If you want the real skinny, click on the pdf files which explain all the details, including how many points you get for each kind of jump, spin, etc. If you can wade through it all, you will become one of the few experts on the CoP, LOL.

Mathman :)

LEB

Spectator
Thank You Doogygirl and Mathman. I love skating and want to be informed by worlds. I have a few events on tape so I think I will print out the info. and watch the tapes. I appreciate all the help, I'm not a big poster but I check all the skating sites weekly and of course during competitions daily. :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Happy to help LEB...

And also, I neglected to welcome you to Goldenskate, the friendliest skating board on the web. (OK Mathman, you owe me $10) Always nice to meet another fan.

Once you read some of the rules, the sheet I find most helpful to keep handy when looking at actual skater scores is the page called "Scale of Values." It not only gives the base values, but also the full descriptions for all the abbreviations for the tricks. i.e. on a skaters actual score sheet, you will see things like CSSp1. The Value sheet is a good reference so you know that means "Change Foot Sit Spin Level 1."

Happy Hunting!

DG