Longevity at Work | Golden Skate

Longevity at Work

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
It occurred to me yesterday that today, March 12, is the 15th anniversary of the day I started working here in what I like to call Legal Land. In March 1990 I had just moved and had had my fill of court reporting, so I came to this office on an interview for a legal secretarial position and have been here ever since.

That got me to thinking. I haven't been here at GS for very long at all, so I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what's the longest some of you have been at your places of employment?

And yes, here it is, a Saturday, my anniversary, and I'm at work. :rofl:
Okay...back to work now.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I worked for the same company (AAFES) for seven years, but in two different cities. I got out because I needed to do something fulfilling and retail wasn't cutting it. So now I teach. I've been at my current school for two years, but I'm looking to go teach overseas.

congrats on 15 years at your job.

:)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
The last bank I worked in I retired from after 20 years. I'd had banking experience prior to that with 2 other banks for a total of about 5 years.

Antilles

Medalist
I've been with a financial company now for almost four years. It's my second place of employment since finishing school.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Thanks for the responses

PrincessLeppard said:
I worked for the same company (AAFES) for seven years, but in two different cities. I got out because I needed to do something fulfilling and retail wasn't cutting it. So now I teach. I've been at my current school for two years, but I'm looking to go teach overseas.

congrats on 15 years at your job.

PrincessLeppard: Good for you for making a change when you needed it! What age group do you teach? Thanks for the congrats!

merrywidow: :clap: :clap: That's amazing. Were there any other employees there as long as you?

Antilles: đź‘Ť By the way, I love your username and the title under it. May the Force be with you. :rock:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I teach English to freshmen and seniors, and no, I am not insane. :p They are fabulous kids. Well, most of them..... :laugh:

If my school was anywhere but Nebraska, I could see teaching here forever. Most of the staff are great and the principal is one of the most amazing women I've ever met. But I miss being an expatriate.

I just had my 30th anniversary here at the university. Going for my second thirty.

Mathman :)

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
PrincessLeppard said:
I teach English to freshmen and seniors, and no, I am not insane. :p They are fabulous kids. Well, most of them..... :laugh:

If my school was anywhere but Nebraska, I could see teaching here forever. Most of the staff are great and the principal is one of the most amazing women I've ever met. But I miss being an expatriate.

Which country would you like to teach in?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This spring will mark my 33rd year in the teaching profession........mostly first, second, and third graders! I have been here at Golden Skate from the beginning. Prior to that, I posted at Paula's site for awhile at about.com.........I know GrGranny was there too as well as RGirl.......anyone else from the old about.com figure skating site? 42

merrywidow

Record Breaker
LegalGirl82 said:
PrincessLeppard: Good for you for making a change when you needed it! What age group do you teach? Thanks for the congrats!

merrywidow: :clap: :clap: That's amazing. Were there any other employees there as long as you?

Antilles: đź‘Ť By the way, I love your username and the title under it. May the Force be with you. :rock:

Yes, one or two but for the most part it is bank officers who stay around until retirement or beyond.

euterpe

Medalist
I worked at a telecommunications company for 20 years before taking early retirement. Since then I have worked as a consultant and have been at my most recent assignment for three years.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I worked at the same medical center for 17 years in different departments and branches as a registered nurse until I had to retire due to illness. The only other job I have ever had was for a year at Nutri Systems wieght loss clinics (still as a nurse). I hated it. Even though it was nursing the goal was making money for the company more than helping people, IMO.

Show, I was at Paula's About.com site too. I lurked for a few months until I was brave enough to post, LOL. I remember Axle Annie and Wolfice :eek: were there. Also Goveggy and balletnutt... I wonder what happened to them? Seaking off MIAs....Jules Asner, Obsidian, Spirals???

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
LegalGirl82 said:
Which country would you like to teach in?

Pretty much anywhere in Europe or Asia. I could see myself living a really long time in London, Berlin or Hong Kong. I'll probaby be at my current school for one more year, which is fine. (I'll leave right as I get tenure, lol. Which is fine. I have issues with some of the tenured teachers. They get a bit lazy, to put it nicely....)

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Quite a few long haulers here!

show 42; euterpe and Piel: :clap: :clap: :clap:

show: Imagine how many children you've guided in all that time! That's awesome. :rock:

Piel: In my area, we don't have enough registered nurses. That's a tough job--congrats to you for doing it as long as you did. So sorry you were forced to retire because of illness. :cry:

PrincessLeppard: Those all sound wonderful. :)

Lynn226

On the Ice
I've worked for the same federal agency for 7.5 years in two locations. Before that I had a temp job with the Department of Defense.

I worked at a fast food joint during my college years. That's the second longest lasting job that I've had.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
wofice

She was kicked out of here when she became so hostile because her Sasha didn't win. Hated Michelle. Was Axle Annie from the Santa Rosa area? I think she left because she felt people didn't want her because she didn't like Michelle either. I might be wrong there. If I remember right, she even invited me to stay with them. :love:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny IIRC AA lived somewhere in California. Although she did not care for Michelle she seemed like a very nice person. Not hostile like you know who.