Injury List at Worlds | Golden Skate

Injury List at Worlds

lotusland

On the Ice
Just finished watching 4CC on CBC today, and it occurred to me how many of this week's competitors are competing injured or not totally healthy. Here is a list of those who come to mind:

MEN
Plushenko
Li (feet problems due to new boots)
Honda (according to a post today, he injured his ankle on practice)

WOMEN
Slutskaya

PAIRS (injured partner *)
Shen & Zhao*
Pang* & Tong
Zagorska* & Zuidek
Marcoux & Buntin*

DANCE (injured partner *)
??

mpal2

Final Flight
Evan was signing autographs near my section at Nationals. Someone nearby asked him about his hip and he said the most recent scans showed that the fracture was completely healed. He won't have to have surgery and has a clean bill of health. :clap:

lotusland

On the Ice
I forgot about Evan, sorry.

mpal2, that's great news about Evan. I am confused though. Paul Martini said on the 4CC broadcast, that Evan wasn't able to work on his Quad because of his hip injury and that he was postponing an operation until after Worlds?

mpal2

Final Flight
I had never heard anything definite about surgery for Evan. Just that there was a possibility if the fracture didn't heal. So according to what I overheard during the autograph signing, he's in good shape.

Then again, Evan may have been deflecting attention away from the injury. We happened to be sitting near his cousin just a couple days before that point The cousin said they don't ask about he injury so he couldn't give us any updates.

Now you have me wondering again! :p I think overall, I'll go with a positive until I hear otherwise.

Evan skated extremely well at Nationals so I can believe that his hip fracture has healed. From what I understand, the fracture was on his non-landing leg so it probably had a better chance of healing than if it had been on his landing leg. He probably wouldn't have practiced the quad in any case and would have had some limited practice times. I don't expect a quad at Worlds. Maybe we'll see evidence of one next season.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Irina's medication for her inflammation problem of last year has been increased, and she says that's one of the reasons she didn't skate especially well at Euros.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
There was an article posted on FSU that said Miki Ando has an injured ankle. Apparently it hurts when she wears shoes, so I can't imagine what it feels like in skates.

Petlover

On the Ice
Miki's ankle might actually be okay in skates, but not in shoes. When I sprained my ankle last year (stupidly caught my free foot blade on my skating foot boot and kicked my ankle and foot out from under me on a back scratch spin, twisting the skating ankle), my ankle felt fine in skates but hurt like crazy as soon as I took off my skates. My doctor said that is due to the huge amount of support the skating boot gives the ankle, just as good as an ankle wrap. Miki may be able to skate fine without pain, but not walk too well - I wish her the best!

lotusland

On the Ice
Now that the events have begun more info is coming out about who is injured or unhealthy. Here are a few more names to add to the original list:

MEN
Plushenko (hernia, back muscle spasms, both knees, ankle ... what isn't hurt)
Li (feet problems due to new boots)
Lindemann (back problems not healed yet)
Weir (serious old foot/ankle injury has flared up)
Honda (foot in a cast, has withdrawn)

WOMEN
Slutskaya (heart inflamation problems, on medication)
Johannson (foot problems)
Ando (ankle problem ?)

PAIRS (injured partner *)
Shen* & Zhao* (Shen - swelling feet, Zhao - foot injury)
Pang* & Tong
Zagorska* & Zuidek (shoulder injury still healing)
Marcoux & Buntin* (strain in abdomen muscle)

DANCE (injured partner *)
??

This is going to end up being "a battle of who is left standing."

Ximena

Final Flight
Plush has an injury affecting his sciatic nerve, but maybe that's the same everyone is referring as his back pain. And he has a groin injury.

mpal2

Final Flight
I still haven't heard what's wrong with Pang. Is this about her being too thin again?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Perhaps if Speedy would take any kind of serious glance at the injuries floating around this season -- several from people who were not able to compete in any or all of the GP events -- he would tone it down with his "You Vill Compete in Zee Grand Prix Or You Vill NOT Compete in Zee Words" tangent he was on earlier this season. What would he rather have, a GP series with a few people missing here and there or a Worlds with about half the top people out of it??