Men - Qualifying B - Notes from Rosaleen | Golden Skate

Men - Qualifying B - Notes from Rosaleen

Rosaleen

Medalist
I'm sitting here typing from the press stand as I watch - with an internet connection. I don't know if I'll have this connection all week or not, but as long as I've got it, I'll update as often as I can. Possibly after each skater!! It may take me a skater or two to get the process sorted out, so bear with me for the first couple of flights.

The zamboni is on the ice after the final dance practice and the introduction of the judges and officials is just starting and they're explaining the way the scores will be shown on the scoreboard. A couple of minutes and the skaters will be on the ice for the warm-up.

Last edited:

Rosaleen

Medalist
Sorry for the huge delay -- bit of tech problems on my part and confusion here in the arena with reporters trying to get set up.

Note: The following reports are copyright Golden Skate Please. While you may provide links to reports, do not copy & paste them elsewhere.

Here's the first 2 groups

FRA Brian Joubert Start 1
Notes Music: 1492 - Conquest of Paradise wearing black with orange starburst on one side of chest and map of north & south america on back.A bit of chor as the familiar music starts and dow to this end of rink for 4t fell out 2t / 3a is nice / spread eagle into 3f / back upright spin with nice pos / and a breather into some slow music & posing in front of the judges / 3f3t / 3l / 3s / fly back sit spin that didn't last long enough for my liking / music starts to build into O ftwrk that might be very artisic but doesn't really do it for me / 3z fell / cam sit back sit upright spin that's a little on the slow side / standing at end of rink waiting for music for strt ftwrk that is just too 'yags' for my liking / fly back sit to inside edge / and some travelling 3's into his final pose. I don't know if I'm just too far away 'from the action' but that didn't really do a lot for me.

TUR Alper Ucar Start 2
Notes Music: malaguena - wearing red & gold bolero with black pants3t2t / 3f / he's got longish hair with the top part in a ponytail / strt ftwrk goes well with music - bit simple / 3z fell - prob short rot / sorry - I just missed something cheat sheet says 2a 3t seq / and then a very slow cam ch cam / 2f or maybe a z / some chor to slower music / 3s fell / a bit more chor into sit ch sit / he's getting lost a bit in the music / 2l / O ftwrk that is lacking a bit / missed a tiny bit more at the end (I'm still trying to get sorted out a bit here) replay is showing a 3a that he stepped out of - not sure where that was in the program

JPN Takeshi Honda Start 3
Notes Music: Warsaw Concerto Black with vest effect with shades of grey on one side.Some chor to get us started / picked for 4 toe - bailed in air and landed hard at boards and he's still down. Music has stopped and team doctor and medical is on the ice. They just showed a replay and his picking leg is hurt. They're taking him off in a wheelchair.

ROM Gheorghe Chiper Start 4
Notes Music: Collection of Gypsy Music wearing black with one red sleeve3z / 3a pitched forward and possibly hand down / ? Cheat sheet says 3z2t - think that's what it was / sit spin is ok / now some playing & chor for the judges / just missed something else - sorry - I'm having a hard time looking between the 2 monitors on the desk - one for results and one of the skating / bailed 3s to 2s / combo spin is soso / more chor in front of judges / looked down for a second and missed something else - / 3f / music has really picked up and we're into the strt steps / butterfly back sit to end the program / sitting in kiss & cry looks like he may have hurt his left leg

FRA Frederic Dambier Start 5
Notes Music: Summertime, Gospel wearing black with one side of body & one sleeve in shades of orange & yellow / a bit of chor and around for the 4s with a hand down / some chor to the slow sax / 3f pitched forward and hand down / spread eagle into 3a felll out hand down 3toe fell / a bit of chor a centre ice as the music changes and picks up - crowd is clapping a bit along with it / 3a hung on to a tight landing / butterfly back sit / music really picks up for O ftwrk that has a bit of a small circle but is fairly detailed and with music / 3s / music slows again and some chor / 3z bit forward but clean / 3l wild free leg but clean / music changes again and a bit of chor into a slow sit spin and into strt ftwrk that I quite like / 3f fell / combo spin to end with flyover that he fell on /

HKG Edward Ka-Yin Chow Start 6
Notes Music: Dance Macabre / wearing black with red on one side of chest & sleeve /He's moving very slow in relation to the music / I missed the first couple of jumps but I think there was a clean 3s and 3t / 2a fell / 2z2t / 3s think 2ft / flycam has ok pos and is centered bit slow / 3t fell / fly back sit is low and centered / 2l /

MEX Humberto Contreras Start 7
Notes Music: Robin Hood soundtrack / wearing green at shoulders shading to brown at waist & brown pants / 3s 2ft under rot / 2f / 3t / he's got a big smile on his face and I think he's loving just being out there / 2a / music slows & softens and strt ftwrk is right with it / fly back sit with twisted pos / nice outside inside spread eagle seq / 3s very tight on lading but looked clean from here into a 2t that also was tight / loop didn't get off ice / beautiful flat back layback / 2a stumbled out / music is building and he's pickin gup the pace a bit for the O ftwrk / combo spin includes that borgeous layback

JPN Daisuke Takahashl Start 8
Notes Music Concerto de Aranjuez ; weatch black with with red blousey shirt lacing around chest / 4t / 2a / 3a2t / sit ch sit / O ftwrk is dynamic and with music and crowd is really clapping along / 3z with a big cheer from the crowd / layback that is quite credible / now the music slows to the familiar refrain and we have some chor / 3s bit wild on landing not sure if clean / 3z 2t / spread eagle with credscnedo of music into 3f into flysit to inside edge / winding up for strt ftwrk and again the crowd is clapping and lots of twizzles at the start and right through it - well done / flycam with partial layover into sit with brief inside edge to back sit to headless and into final pos and the crowd loved it as did the Japanese reporters sitting next to me /

SUI Stephane Lambiel Start 9
Notes King Arthur / wearing grey 'armour' over cream shirt & black pants / 3a / 4t3t is very nicely done / 3l / 2a / cam sit twisted 1/2 sit A back sit into headless - great spin / music slows and some chor / 4t pitched forward on landing but didn't put hand down / 3z3t / sit ch sit with multiple pos & inside edge / somechor into O ftwrk as music builds / 3f might have put hand down / flycam with layover pos / strt steps to building music / 3s / combo spin to end is fast perfectly centreed and with great pos / clock on my monitor is showing 4min41sec which means there'll be a deduction for time / great skate though and a very

CZE Tomas Verner Start 10
Notes Music: Loreley, La Noche de mi Amor wearing black with dark grey ovest effect with sparkly circle design on chest / music started out fairly slow & dramatic / 3a fell music has picked up with a good beat and a bit of clapping from crowd / doubled a planned 3 flip / 3z fell out of it / 3f fell out / death drop is big with good spin / music slows & softens and a bit of chor / think I just missed something / some nice chor & movement to slower music / 3l / think he just doubled a sal into a 2t / combo spin is ok / music changes & picks up - strt steps -- looked like he had a couple of slips near the beginning / 3z not really steady but pretty sure it was clean / S ftwrk is very good and with music / into combo spin to end /

BEL Kevin van der Perren Start 11
Notes Robin Hood Soundtrack / costume is green on chest & back with sheer black sleeves /a bit of chor to start and around for the 3a - nice / a bit more chor and around for the 3a3t bit tight on landing of toe but think clean / flying twisted sit spin / and the music changes and slow and some more chor into a back hydro-blade into a 2a / cam spin with donut / pause in front of judges and a bit of posing / 3s3t1l / 2a / music picks up and the O ftwrk is chor with it - he seems to be moving a bit slow in it though / 3f fell / soft music again and chor / catchfoot spiral into 3z fell / sit ch sit is a bit slow / strt ftwrk is ok but not dynamic enough for the music / 3l - might have been a 2a before it as well - not sure right now / combo spin to end /

Rosaleen

Medalist
ISR Roman Serov Start 12
Notes World of Technology, Children / 3z turnout / pause for some chor/ he's wearing black with some green design on the top / 3a bit wild on the free leg and pitched forward but seemed clean / 3a3t is nice / music changes & picks up and nice fly cam to layover to donut / popped 3f to double / 3 turns into cam sit back sit inside edge catch knee - spin had good pos / music really picks up for O ftwrk and crowd is clapping - he's moving a bit too slow across the ice to keep up with the music / some soft piano now and chor infront of the judges / nice outsid espread eagle / 3z 3t? Turns into 3l that wasn't clean / down the ice for a 3s that also might not have been clean / strt ftwrk again to faster music and except for the 'dancing in place' part he isn't keeping up with it / butterfly into back sit to upright to end /

Rosaleen

Medalist
CAN Jeffrey Buttle Start 13
Notes Music: Nagoygatsi by Phillip Glass - big LET'S GO JEFF from the Canadian team to my left as he is introduced / somber music to start / 3f2t / heartbeat pulsing in background as melody picks up / and around for 3a turnout but stayed on one foot 3t / travel 3s into cam sit back cam sit open leg / some chor and around for 3s on bad lean stumbled out / great chor when music dies / 3a fell - looked short rot to me from very far away / 3l draws applause from the crowd / O ftwrk is intricate and right with music - good flow / spread eagle 3z / wrong way cam to donut into death drop right way with twisted sit / diag ftwrk moves well & with music / 2a turns 2a / como spin cam layov er tuck sit twisted, etc / into final pose /

Rosaleen

Medalist
CHN Min Zhang Start 14
Notes Danse Macabre / in black with silver sparkley x-over design on front of top / music satrts fairly soft then into dfinite beat and familiar violin / 4t3t is very nice / 4s / flycam is quite good centered with good speed / 3z fell out / a bit of chor that sort of meanders over the ice / pause in music and it really slows and some very nice chor / death drop has nice air pos & pretty good spin / 3f3t / I just missed something / 2s / 3s / 1a / slipped going into cam pos of combo spin but managed to get into the spin - it was soso / sit ch sit spin to end /

Rosaleen

Medalist
SWE Kristoffer Berntsson Start 15
Notes Music is Prince Igor / dearing light brown shirt under green swirly pattern vest effect with brown pants ( looks better than it sounds) / 3a landed pitched forward but it looked pretty clean from here / 4t fell / sit ch sit is ok - good pos / 3z3t / O ftwrk is ok / some slow music and chor & emoting at centre ice / 3a 2ft turnout but might have been fully rot 1t / 3l / flycam sit to inside edge to back cam upright / 3f probably 2ft / diag ftwrk is pretty good but he might be getting lost a bit in the music now / I think the last jump was a 3s1t / 3t / combo spin with nice pos, speed & centering to end the program /

USA Evan Lysacek Start 16
Notes Singing in the Rain: navy pinstripe with sprakle front of vest / some chor to start to sound of rain / 3a / 3f2t then I'm not sure what / 3a fell / some chor / whalley 3z2t / sit ch sit with tuck and inside edge / music changes to tapping and he mimics it on ice into S frtwrk that is chor right to the music / 2a / 3s / flycam to upright variations - very nice / music gets slow & sultry and his chor is great / 3l prob 2ft turnout / combo spin / strt ftwrk to sing in the rain and it matches lilt of music perfectly / 3z / combo spin to end the program is excellent with all reat pos /

Rosaleen

Medalist
AUT Viktor Pfeifer Start 17
Notes Art on Ice / black velvet unitard with diagonal red design across chest / music starts with sound of wind right into a 2a / 3z low landing with a bit of turn out but think he hung on long enough / 3f pitched forward 2t / 3s2t2t? Not sure of 3rd jump / a bit of chor at centre ice into cam with outside ege and bent free leg - effective pos - he's very tall and elegant on the ice / 3f bit shakey on landing but clean / 3l squeeked it out / flycam sit to inside edge back sit upright / he doesn't seem to be as connected with the music as at Jr Worlds, but that could possibly be because I'm much further from the ice / strt steps are nice / 2a stumbled out weirdly / 2a just hung on / combo spin is a little slow but has good pos / O ftwrk is a big circle is with music / flycam has nice pos /

Rosaleen

Medalist
GER Silvo Smalun Start 18
Notes Sorry - missed his skate due to some complications trying to get info during the warmup - hopefully he'll make it and I'll see his free program -- it's to the Handel music that Denkova/Staiviski used for their OD. Here's what the computer shows the jumps he did 2a / 3f /3a/ 1z / 3t / 1f /3s/ 1a /

Rosaleen

Medalist
FRA Samuel Contesti Start 19
Notes Schindler's List, Mazel Tov / some neat chor to start the program and the music picks up with familiar Jewish folk type music / 3a turn out 3t / 3z / death drop has great air pos & good spin / the cheat sheet shows his 1st jump to be a 4t but I didn't see it will have to wait for scores to see if he did it / 3z / combo spin with good pos / music changes & gets very soft & slow and some nice chor to match / familiar schindler's medlody for the O ftwrkwrk that matches well but maybe a bit on the simple side / 3a is very nice as music builds / 3l / fast loud folk music and the crowd is clapping for the strt ftwrk that matches very well / 3t 1/2l 3s / flying forward sit but of hesitation on landing but then into a good spin / music is now hava nageela / 2a turns 2a / back sit with arms extended high behind his back / we see a shot of the French team leader who looks quite pleased with that skate

Rosaleen

Medalist
SCG Trifun Zivanovic Start 20
Notes Phantom of the Opera / wearing black with white ruffled shirt / 3a fell out hands down / 3f turnout 2t / 3f / butterfly back sit / music is now music of the night and some chor and expression / 3l under rot 2ft / 3a fell / there was just a great section of music that the chor didn't use at all / sit ch sit is nice / now some flowey O ftwrk / spread eagle into 3z that was barely hung on to with a turnout at the boards / 3a that was stumbled out of under rot / strt ftwrk is not bad but doesn't really use the phrasing of the music / turns into a 3s / combo spin with good pos but a little on the slow side - it's timed nicely with the music though into a flying spin to end the program /

Rosaleen

Medalist
ESP Yon Garcia Start 21
Notes Charlie Chaplin- City Lights soundtrack / wearing black tux & grey pin stripe pants / some chor / 3f fell / some more chor / 2a / walking with the cane / 3z fell / fly sit ch sit is sustained centred with good pos / 3t 2t / more acting / music changes and some chor into O ftwrk that is mostly spread eagles but movement is in char of music / 2l / cam spin to outside edge sit ch sit twisted leg bent in front - changes of pos in spin were timed with music / 2s after some nice chor / more chor / this is a really entertaining program in spite of the trouble on the jumps and possible lack of difficulty - strt steps were perfectly in char of the music / sit ch sit is very fast as is the music / more chor with music - maybe a bit obvious but very enjoyable / 2l / more chor with music - I'm enjoying this / 2a turns 2a fell right on beat of music / flycam spin to end the program /

Rosaleen

Medalist
POL Maciej Kus Start 22
Notes Don Quixote by Minkus / brown top with black lacing & black pants / a bit of chor right with music sets the moods very well / bad pick on lutz and popped it to a single / a bit of chor and down for the 3f nice 1t / popped loop / death drop gets great air pos - good spin / 3f / some chor to very familiar part of music but I can't hum it for you / 3s turns 3t / flycam - pos could use work as could the speed / music softens - S ftwrk goes with it well but is too slow across the ice / 2a / combo spin - cam sit upright back sit to inside edge / 2z with a weird 1/2 fall landing / music is building and the strt steps have good speed and go with it quite well / 3t / sit ch sit spin to end is quite good /

Rosaleen

Medalist
USA Timothy Goebel Start 23
Notes The Queen Symphony / black with bit of red dangly bits from shoulders / 3s / 4t fell / a bit of chor around for 3a 1t kind of bailed on toe in air / 4s probably 2ft / flysit is pretty good / music changes to mamma mia for combo spin that is very nice / some chor & emoting at centre ice / 3a3t very iffy landing on the toe but think it might have been clean / who wants to live forever and he just fell on a jump - cheat sheet says it should have been a 3f / bigt drum beats for strt ftwrk that is very dramatic with the music but doesn't seem that difficult to me / bailed on lutz / O ftwrk is right with music and lots of turns - we are the champions is now the music / 3l / flysit spin into combo spin to end the program / obviously not the skate he wanted /

Rosaleen

Medalist
That's the end of Qualifying B - top 15 skaters move on to the short program.

Here's a comment from the Japanese Team Leader - Noriko Shirota - re Takeshi

Takeshi was taken to the hopital. We don't know yet the exact nature of the injury. It was the back side of the left ankle, the same ankle he injured in practice the other day. He stumbled in the step sequence in practice. He was only able to land two jumps in the warm up, a triple loop and a single axel. He wanted to skate very much today. The first jump in his program should have been a quad-triple toeloop combination.