Pairs - Short Program - Comments | Golden Skate

Pairs - Short Program - Comments

mzheng

Record Breaker
[QOUTE]
-- sorry I'm getting a bit behind in the program trying to describe stuff - it's much harder than singles
[/QOUTE]
You are super.

Thanks so much. And I really like the idear keeping the comments thread seperate from the pbp. :clap:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks Rosaleen. Glad to hear from you that Pang/Tong doing so well in SP. But why it is diff from EuroSport? I guess I like to hear what your say. But can't dissmiss what EuroSport...

"
CHN Pang / Tong Start 5
Notes Music: All I ask of You from Phantom - Webber / her in red shading to white at hem him in white shirt & red pants / sbs 3t great sync / thr 3lhuge huge and landed right on the crescendo of the music / 2tw is lateral and high and again caught right on beat of music / sbs spins go to inside edge sit in great sync / true lasso to start with twist out covers good ice / pair spin maintains good speed and centering - nice pos / spirals again use music perfectly and have lovely shapes to them / bids starts with her holding foot in front / perfectly skated program - just lovely and right with the music all the time - can't find any fault with that program (even if I wanted to)
"

" EuroSport
17:46 Pang and Tong finese was superb, Tong looks relaxed... the marks are published: 35.05 for technical merit; 28.97 for program component for a total points total of 64.02 to lead by just over nine marks ahead of the American pair Rena Inoue and John Baldwin Jr...

17:45 Pang and Tong were very good, but the question remains was it good enough? The triples toes were good, but didn't have the elevation; the side-by-side spins were out of synch and may mean their technical mark is pinned down...

17:42 The 25-year-olds start with side-by-side triple toes, but their unison isn't great; a monster of a throw-triple loop; a split double-twist is excellent...
"

Rosaleen

Medalist
mzheng said:
Thanks Rosaleen. Glad to hear from you that Pang/Tong doing so well in SP. But why it is diff from EuroSport? I guess I like to hear what your say. But can't dissmiss what EuroSport...
"

Either of us could be making a mistake and they may have been out of sync at a point when I looked down for a second and missed it. Neither of us are perfect.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Rosaleen said:
Either of us could be making a mistake and they may have been out of sync at a point when I looked down for a second and missed it. Neither of us are perfect.

Thanks, rosaleen took time to response. Sorry if I sounds a bit off.

You are the best! Most detailed pbp I've read so far. :clap:

emma

Record Breaker
thanks elfuego....guess I should stop trying to do 10 things at once and just focus on what mattes..SKATING!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
If you're watching...

Was anyone else like me after T&M's skate??? I wanted a cigarette AND a glass of champaign with a strawberry in it. WOW. S&Z were awesome too, but T&M....WOW.

DG

brad640

On the Ice
Doggygirl, thanks for posting the russian tv online link. It is great to see the programs live.

I agree that T&M were spectacular. Z&Z were the best I have seen them, and deserve to be ahead of P&T. I was hoping there would be no deductions through the whole event, but that Bulgarian team's fall on the 2tw was strange, and their Louis XIV costumes did not match the music.

coolio

Rinkside
brad640 said:
Doggygirl, thanks for posting the russian tv online link. It is great to see the programs live.

I agree that T&M were spectacular. Z&Z were the best I have seen them, and deserve to be ahead of P&T. I was hoping there would be no deductions through the whole event, but that Bulgarian team's fall on the 2tw was strange, and their Louis XIV costumes did not match the music.
I cannot wait to see them on CBC tonight....
Beating Shen/Zhao on TES is not an easy task IMO...:).

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
PLEASE Thanks Braulio for the Rus TV link...

brad640 said:

I wouldn't have ever known about it if he/ she hadn't posted it on FSU.

Mean time, I love seeing all the teams - not just the top teams. And the way it's going with US TV coverage, any SP's at all!! That being said, I didn't realize those were Louis the XIV costumes. Hey - St. Patrick's day is this week after all. :) (OK, I'm a snot about the Rusty Hanger awards!)

DG

Ninjagirl

Rinkside
I am so happy for Tanya and Maxim! Their program was just wonderful and it's really great that they got to show it infront of their home crowd.

Good Luck to them in the FP!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Cannot believe that Pe&Ti are ahead of S&Z!!! WOW!!!!! I understand they got a lot of crowd support; would love to hear from anyone who has seen the comp as to how fair the placement is.

Slightly bummed for O&S. In the past this season they've been able to be ahead of Z&Z and P&T in the short.

brad640

On the Ice
What a great pairs event this was! It was great to see everyone in the top 10 skate clean for the most part, except for Craig Buntin's step out and almost everyone's poor unison on the SBS spins

I thought Shen and Zhao had the best choreography and interpretationin the SP. I LOVED Zagorska and Siudek's skating. They have such a clean, straightforward style, and they show great affection for each other on the ice. Hopefully the score sheets will show that they got the highest lift GOE of the night.

Obertas and Slavnov keep improving in every performance I see. They have great energy and charisma, but it seems like it may be a dues-paying year for them. If they finish out of the top 5, hopefully it will motivate them to improve their polish to overtake the Chinese at the Olympics. This was the first I remember seeing of Wakamatsu and Fecteau, and they had great extension and line. The Germans Savchenko and Szolkowy had great flow over the ice and I loved seeing Ingo Steuer nervously pacing behind the boards during their skate.

The judging seemed fair to me. I'm not sure how I feel about Petrova and Tikhonov being ahead of S&Z, because I find P&T's skating snooze-inducing (emphasis on the zzzzzz) but S&Z were conservative with small mistakes. I don't see P&T staying in 2nd, but they took full advantage of the home crowd's enthusiasm, so maybe that will help them with their stamina in the LP

vixen62025

Rinkside
Actually I am not too surprised at P/T are ahead of S/Z. Though I think S/Z have the superior skills, they were not all on display today. Their sbs spins were waaaaaay off, besides the problems he had on the sbs jump (very pitched forward on landing).

Kudos to the German pairs! Big boo hoos for I/B for messing up their sbs jump (again), darn it! (Other than that error it was a great skate I thought - but the field is very deep!). Pang/Tong seemed tentative to me, and they had some problems on the sbs spins as well.

Question for Rosaleen if you get to read these threads: on TV the attendance looked surprisingly spotty, which surprises me. Is that in fact the case? I would have thought (especially for Pairs, with Russia's deep history of domination in this discipline) that the place would have been quite full.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
What was up with the spins?!
Very impressed with S&O and the Germans...where did this team come from. Great to see Ingo around again.

Note about CBC's coverage. I love the 2 hours of pairs (a treat for me) but I found the music quality to be very poor. It was so low. And paul Martini was shouting so it made for lots of volume adjustments. As well, I detest those above the ice shots on the spins and death drops. Bad camera work there. Is there just one video feed that everyone is getting?

All in all, it was a great night of pairs skating!

Eeyora

Final Flight
Word is on another message board a fan yelled out to Shen and Zhao "fall!" in Russian. I hope this doesn't continue. Last year at worlds I will admit I was a little unsure about how I felt about T/M's skating. But now I love them. Their choreography is brilliant. They have a real feel to their skating. The rivalry between T/M and S/Z should prove to be exciting.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
vixen62025 said:
Actually I am not too surprised at P/T are ahead of S/Z. Though I think S/Z have the superior skills, they were not all on display today. Their sbs spins were waaaaaay off, besides the problems he had on the sbs jump (very pitched forward on landing).
Actually, S&Z got higher scores in all components (especially transitions). It's in elements that they lost to P&T. Also intersting that Pang&Tong got higher elements than Z&Z.

brad640 said:
The Germans Savchenko and Szolkowy had great flow over the ice and I loved seeing Ingo Steuer nervously pacing behind the boards during their skate.
I'm glad for them. She is, alfter all, a 2000 Junior champ!

Last edited:

lotusland

On the Ice
I've read sooooo many skating articles and been listening to and watching so much skating it is all beginning to blurrr before my eyes. But, somewhere in all that info I heard, or read, that TT & MM used the services of (CDN) Lori Nicol to polish their programs and put all the finishing touches on their work. Don't know if that means she cleaned-up someone else's choreography or if she did the programs in full. Either way, if you think they are looking "more elegant," "more polished" or generally just "more" (on the presentation/program component side) ... its likely because of Lori Nicol.