Coaches: Would the champs still be champs without them? | Golden Skate

Coaches: Would the champs still be champs without them?

R

RealtorGal

Coaches: Would the champs still be champs without them?

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:small;">How many World champs would have achieved that goal had they not found that special coach to nurture and develop their raw talent? Would Michelle have been 7 times national champ if she'd coached with Callaghan (for example) rather than Frank? Would she be this year's national champ had she not found Scott? Would Sarah be Oly champ had she not hooked up with Robin? Are there skaters out there who might have made it had they had a different coach?</span>

S

Show 42

Re: Coaches: Would the champs still be champs without them?

Good question, RGal. Raw talent needs a guiding hand to develop. On the other hand, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" no matter how good a coach you are. I guess I think it needs the right blend of talent and coaching skill................and a lot of luck and being at the right place at the right time................42

J

Joesitz

RG - Ok on the question but when you consider the innate(sp) talent that has to be there, what could any coach do without it such talent?

I think there are several helpful coaches (including Robin Wagner) and it's just luck that the skater finds them (Sarah) or do the Coaches find the skaters with talent?

What came first the chicken or you know.

Joe

H

heyang

Leads to the question of how many skaters could have been world champions if they had found the right coach.

Nicole Bobek has natural talent, but she flitted from coach to coach. If she had found the right coach at the right time, perhaps MK would not be a 7 time world champ (due to hypothetical losses to Bobek.)

G

Grgranny

Maybe if Angela N. would have found the coach she had a year or so ago, her's may have been a different story.

L

lanlie

heyang: "7 time world champ"? I do hope so! :rollin:

H

heyang

oops - sorry. I really meant 7 time national champ. Can only cross my figures and everything else for Worlds.

L

LADSKATER

<span style="color:red;font-family:georgia;font-size:medium;">I doubt it; Figure skating is a series of steps to building a world champion. They don't just happen overnight. From the very first coach who teachs a skater how to take his or her first steps on the ice to the coach who refines the skater into a champion - it's all team work. Even those skaters who make it to the top will remember their very first coach - who patiently taught them the basics. Some stick with the same coach for years while others make changes continually as they grow - but become a champ on their own? No!

Ladskater</span>

M

mathman444

BTW, here's an interview in which Michelle DOES credit her new coach and choreographer for the Aranjuez program. Plus, check out the picture.

usfsa.org/uschamp03/index.htm

Mathman

D

DORISPULASKI

And then there are the coaches noted for political pull.
In that case, perhaps the skaters would NOT be champs
without them. Think Poetsch/Fratianne.

Carlo Fassi, in his hey day, was always able to get his skaters
a couple of freebies.

Frank Carroll has seemed to have had trouble with this on the Olympic stage.

Another interesting question is the effect of changing
countries, most interesting in the case of the Duchesnay's, who couldn't buy respect in Canada, and then moved to
France.

But in an honest world, on how to develop as a skater, I vote with those who say you can't take them apart.

However, their are those born personalities that fill an arena even when they are very, very new. I remember Nicole Bobek as a novice, and she already had that ability. In that case, I would not call it either artistry or technique, but ability to be a performer.

dpp

K

Kabooke

The sad thing is that Fratianne to this day is still upset over it and who could blame her. I think it stung even more when the Canadians got that second gold medal. Back then the judges could quite litterally openly cheat and their was little to be done about it.

Frank definitely had no political pull at the Olympics with fratianne or Kwan. Tarasova's comments to Frank showed that he could've quite easily gotten gold for Michelle in Nagano, not that she didn't already deserve it, but that's another story.

Some people were saying that Tarasova's influence would help Sasha internationally and that Kwan couldn't get any because William's has no influenece.

I hate it when things get political in this
"sport".