Bravo CBC - Fantastic Coverage | Golden Skate

Bravo CBC - Fantastic Coverage

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
WOW! The CBC coverage of the Worlds is awesome. Two full hours everynight this week and on Saturday and Sunday. Barb and Paul and the CBC commentator are doing a great job. Also after the coverage they are showing highlights of the qualifying rounds. It's great.

:biggrin:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Two comments on camera work: hate those 'bird's eye' shots and during Z/S they kept doing 'extreme close-ups' that really kept us from getting a good look at the skating. No fancy camera angles, please, just show the skating.

đź‘Ť To Barb and Paul. I don't usually enjoy Paul because he ha a tendency to talk a lot during the performances but he did alright yesterday.

It's just so nice that I can see all the events for a change! I don't have TSN and I've been so disappointed that the CTV events were largely delegated to TSN.

rain

Record Breaker
Sk8n Mama said:
Two comments on camera work: hate those 'bird's eye' shots and during Z/S they kept doing 'extreme close-ups' that really kept us from getting a good look at the skating. No fancy camera angles, please, just show the skating.
TSN.

Totally agree - HATE the birds' eye cam - you can't see anything on those shots. They went to it on every one of the pairs spins last night and it drove me nuts. Also hated the atrocious sound quality and the Close-Ups you mentioned. During one of the pairs they even cut away to a shot of the COACHES which baffled me. I'm guessing here, but like many international competitions I think CBC is probably dependent on whatever feed they can get from the host country network - which goes a long way to explaining the awful quality of the video/audio.

Blade1

On the Ice
I too am thankfull that we have coverage throughout the week. THUMBS UP TO CBC !! However there are two things that have been kinda annoying me, and those two points have already been mentioned:

#1 - sound quality. I thought that maybe perhaps I had taped it with the sound really low since we have the dish, and if the volume is low on the dish, the feed you record will be the same. So I always make sure the volume is at its max, so I have at least good quality sound. But I guess its just the broadcast itself. Sounds like the music is in the distance, but yet Paul & Barb sound so close.

#2 - CAMERA ANGLES !! Grrr I can't stand some of the angles these camera man are using. I mean especially during the side by side spins during the Pairs Short Programs. I MEAN ever skater we saw their side by side spins from up above. I rather see them side by side, doing the element than seeing the top of their heads. Also some of the other camera angles are terrible. Showing half the skater while they are doing elements. Just weird in my opinion.

But overall, I can't be too negative, should be extreamly happy that we are getting full coverage throughout the week.

So that being said - way to go CBC :agree:

lotusland

On the Ice
11 Pair teams and a brief review of Men's Qualifying is more TV coverage than I am used to getting on Canadian television ... I'm happy as a clam!

Don't love the overhead shots, but it does make it tons easier to see the syncro and travelling on the pair SBS spins. So although it makes me a little wooozie, I'm okay with it.

Didn't have any problems at all with the sound, everything came through just fine.

Is CBC using another broadcasters feed? If so, there isn't much they can do about what they are given to work with. I'm just happy they are there and broadcasting at all.

I'm so excited about a weeks worth of 2 hours a night same day broadcasting, I'm in Lalalalalala Land :clap:

Antilles

Medalist
The coverage was great last night, but they only had two events they could show. Last year, dance really got chacked for the whole competition. I'm hoping this year's coverage will be better.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Sk8n Mama said:

đź‘Ť To Barb and Paul. I don't usually enjoy Paul because he ha a tendency to talk a lot during the performances but he did alright yesterday.

It's just so nice that I can see all the events for a change! I don't have TSN and I've been so disappointed that the CTV events were largely delegated to TSN.

The only bird's eye shots or skycam as our American friends call it was during the side-by-side pair spins. I think it was to see if any of the pairs were spinning in unison - and they were not. Other than that they stuck to the regular format.

Canuck

Spectator
I also am enjoying CBC's coverage. It's great to see so many skaters. But I also have a beef. Mark Lee is doing too much talking. Most of the time it sounds like he's reading from a cue card. I think he's too use to Hockey Night in Canada and he feels the need to fill the "voids" with chatter.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Canuck said:
I also am enjoying CBC's coverage. It's great to see so many skaters. But I also have a beef. Mark Lee is doing too much talking. Most of the time it sounds like he's reading from a cue card. I think he's too use to Hockey Night in Canada and he feels the need to fill the "voids" with chatter.

Hmm...I find him quite professional - does not bother me at all. This is perhaps his first go at figure skating coverage. I am enjoying the coverage and have no beefs with any of it. I just wish the CBC was handling the 2010 Olympics. I hope CTV can measure up to the CBC - usually they (CTV) shortchange us these days.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
CBC sports has been experiencing a pretty big rough patch lately. The Ron MacLean salary thing, firing Chris Cuthbert, poor women's curling coverage, and of course the fact that they have no hockey to show. With that being said, I am very happy that they have decided to show two hours of skating coverage a night. A rare treat! Keep up the good work!