New Hersh article on men's competition | Golden Skate

New Hersh article on men's competition

mzheng

Record Breaker
I think with all the demanding of quads from men and 3/3 from ladies, the key is to trainning 'smart' not 'harder' with the difficult jumps. The quality over quantity. With good coach and technique, you don't need pounding your body all season long.

soogar

Record Breaker
You can't get good technique if you don't do the jumps on a regular basis. MK isn't training her jumps as much in the past and I think it's starting to show in some of the errors she is making (ie underrotations, little problems with the lutz etc.). She isn't getting injured, but I think the quality of her jumps is suffering a bit. It could be due to age or changing technique with Rafael but her jumps aren't as steady as they used to be.

The more you look at Plushenko (or Yagudin, Goebel, etc., etc., etc.) the more impressed you have to be with the way Michelle has adapted her training to keep on top for a decade and counting.

Plushenko tried his best to get out of killing himself on the Grand Prix, but Cinquanta and the Russian federation forced him into it. Now he is a shadow of his former self, what with his bum knee, his groin injury and his back pain. His only hope is to do a Michelle next year and cut back on his competitive schedule.

Mathman

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Plushenko tried his best to get out of killing himself on the Grand Prix, but Cinquanta and the Russian federation forced him into it.
Had he not scheduled to skate in a show while the GP event is on, the letter may not be envoked.

True, but I think he would have been much better off to do the St. Petersburg show, honoring the expectations of the audience without having to train too hard. Then skip the Grand Prix events, including the Grand Prix final and give his body a little rest.

I think the ISU pressure caused him to wear himself out in a way that a couple of exhibition skates would not have.

MM