American Idol 3/15 | Golden Skate

American Idol 3/15

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Theme was anything from the 60's, no celebrity judges. Lot's of great song choices but a lot of the voices were all over the place. Here's how I ranked them from best to worst (and I do mean worst).

1. Nadia - Dusty Springfield's "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" . Looked great sounded great. I think she could win this.

2.,3., and 4. (tie) Bo- BS&T's "Spinning Wheel". Gets bonus points because this song brought back some VERY fond memories of a certain summer night in teenage Piel's life ;) :biggrin: :rock:

Nikko -Jackson Five's "I Want You Back". Showed he deserved to be in the final twelve. Did he actually do a little psuedo crotch grabbing move?

Scott - The Temptations' "Ain't Too proud to Beg" He's no David Ruffin but did a good job with one of my favorite songs

The rest - Carrie - The Everly Brothers' "When Will I Be Loved" IMO she did a better job than the judges gave her credit for. Linda Ronstadt did a fantastic cover of this on her Heart Like a Wheel LP

Anwar - Burt Bacharach's "A House is Not a Home" This was just OK my least favorite song selection of the evening

Vonzell - Dionne Warwick's "Anyone Who Had a Heart" lots of pitch problems but still her best performance so far IMO.

Constantine - BST's "You've Made Me So Very Happy" his best so far

Anthony - Neil Sedaka's "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" I liked his performance tonight but prefer the faster version of this song.

Jessica - Smoky Robinson's "Shop Around" Again, OK but nothing great

Lindsey - Eddie Floyd's "Knock on Wood" Another of my favorite songs butchered on AI

And last....
Mikalah - Dusty Springfield's "Son of a Preacher Man" Horrible just horrible! Her look was less severe than the past two weeks is the only good thing I can say about her performance. I like Mikalah but have to admit that after this she has to go.

Last edited:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Idle impressions, 3/15

Gosh, Piel was so nice that I feel kind of bad, posting my rather cynical notes, but what the heck.
By the way, folks, Ryan Seacrest is far more tolerable when you've had a beer. Or two. ;)
Here we go, as they went:
Jessica, "Shop Around": Coming off like a hootchie Toni Tenille. It's bad bar band, but I'm a little heated so that's okay. I guess...

Anwar, "A House is not a Home": oh, my...he's "pitchy"! No excitement tonight...when's Bo up? Anwar, honey...why?
---"on and popping"...that's twice now, Randy. Once more and I'll need another beer. Simon was spot-on.

Mikalah...NOOOOOO! NOT "Son of a Preacher Man"...oh, my god...in another 50 years or so, she'll be Cher! I voted her off last week, why the heck is she still here?

Constantine. Hey, since when was Blood, Sweat & Tears a Motown group? Am I having a premature senior moment? I just can't connect with Constantine. Maybe it's because he resembles an ancient ex, I don't know. Maybe it's because I heard a better cover of "You Made Me So Very Happy" in my junior high school vocal recital, back in the latter Dark Ages. Seriously. I hated the kid, but he owned that song. Gee, thanks for the memories, Constantine.

---Ooh! There's a commercial for "Ice Princess!" (Hey, Amazon Princess! You want to go to the movies with Mommy?) :rofl:

Lindsey, "Knock on Wood": I guess it's a good choice for one with her vocal limitations. Speaking of limitations, the background singers are doing the high notes! Oy, vey! Not particularly impressive.

Anthony "connects spiritually" to this song?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Aw, c'mon, Federov! Cover the original Sedaka vocal! "Doo doo doo down doobie-doo down down, come-a-come-a down doobie doo down down..." I'm sorry, but I really can't take this song seriously.
---Give 'em hell, Randy! Bad hotel music! Oh, Simon! Office Christmas party! I heartily concur, gentlemen.

Nadia, "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me": More Dusty...I've never liked this song. It's a doormat song. But she sounds good. A little trouble with a couple of notes, but the best so far...sadly, that's not saying much.
---Hee! Randy's giving her "chops"! Yo, Dawg...one HAS "chops". One GETS "props". Even this middle-aged white girl knows THAT.

Bo. More BS&T? Hot! Freaking! Damn! If we were in a smoky bar right now I'd be dancing suggestively right in front of that boy. Wow. I was sick to death of "Spinning Wheel" a quarter-century ago, but I'm loving this. Wish that ex had looked like him, instead...oh, never mind.

Vonzell, "Anyone Who Had a Heart": Do I know this song? Hey, this isn't too bad, if you like Whitney covering Dionne...and she looks great. She could be marketable. I'm not blown away, but I'm not disgusted...

I wrote "disgusted" just as Ryan introduced Scott. :laugh: I love "Ain't Too Proud to Beg". But stop, Scott, I'm begging!
---"You're HOT"??! Randy!

Carrie, "When Will I Be Loved": Obviously, she grew up with Linda Ronstadt's vocal, and didn't do too badly by it. Cute gold lame scarf. If she gets voted off "Idol", there's always "Nashville Star".

Nikko, "I Want You Back": Is it me, or does this guy sing through his nose? Yikes! He's making me miss Mario! Nikko - ENUNCIATE! You sound like you're singing through a mouthful of marbles!
---Thank you Simon, oh teller of Truth: "Horrible!" Yup.

Well, it looks like I'm voting for Bo and Nadia again this week. While I waited for my votes to connect, I switched to the local PBS affiliate, which is showing "Superstars of 70's Soul" - just in time to see Pattie LaBelle rip her way through "Lady Marmalade". Now THERE'S an American Idol!
This is fun! I may have to do a critique every week!
xoxo,
Rave

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I can always count on our pal Piel to get us started on my favorite topic du jour! :love:

My order:

1&2 (tie): Nadia & Bo
3: Constantine
4. Scott
5. Nikko (I caught the crotch grabbing, too and was fairly shocked!)
6. Anthony (It wasn't as bad as they said it was. I liked it)
7. Anwar -- pitch problems with the rapid change of registers
8. Vonzell -- I totally agreed with Simon about her being in the middle and if she doesn't do something great soon, it's all over for her in a few weeks.
9. Carrie -- Great voice but absolutely NO emotional connection to the song. This is her big problem, and it's exactly what I used to rag on my singing students for doing--not relating to what they're singing. She's singing the words, "I've been cheated. Been mistreated." Did you see any anger there or frustration? No. But you should have. Then she sings, "When will I be loved?" Okay, now that's a QUESTION. If you sing a question, then ASK THE QUESTION, don't just sing words. I used to call this shopping list singing. What I meant was, she may just as well have been singing her shopping list because it wouldn't have made one bit of difference. If singers would pay attention to the words they sing, they'd be better. This is what is holding her back from being great. It's not enough to smile pretty and look pretty and sing with a big voice. This is the time to emotionally connect with the song, and in turn, the audience will connect with the singer.

Okay, my lecture is over. (Boy, sometimes I really do get a bit carried away, don't I?) :laugh:

10. Lindsay--same problem as Carrie but she doesn't have the same natural ability. She will never be a star no matter what.

11. Mikahla: Please get rid of her NOW! For the second week in a row, she can't hit the low notes but she makes them play a key that's way too low because she doesn't have the ability to hit high notes well.

I missed Jessica, but in the 5 seconds of recap, I realize that I didn't miss much.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I enjoyed Bo, Carrie, and Anwar the most... however I didn't really like any of the choices

My bottom three were Scott, Nikko, and Mikailah... with Mikailah going home

Scott just can't play up the Ruben "big guy stands on stage or plays to judges" if he can't get that teddy bear vibe. and if he doesn't smile soon what is the point. Is he having ANY fun at all??????

and Nikko singing a song that --like him or not--Michael Jackson at 10 OWNED just didn't work... I wanted to see the JAckson Five up there... but maybe I am asking too much :laugh: (considering Michael is having legal trouble right now, I don't even think it's appropriate on a kids shw LOL)

I am apologizing now for typos... my "O" key is sticking and sometimes I am nt hitting it hard enough.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Constantine. Hey, since when was Blood, Sweat & Tears a Motown group? Am I having a premature senior moment?

:rofl: Actually it is a Motown Song written by Brenda Holloway, Berry Gordy and a couple of others IIRC. It was released on Motown's Tamla records. Country singer Bobbie Gentry also covered this song.

RGal so I wasn't seeing things, LOL. My first thought was why in the world would anyone want to be associated with MJ at this time, especially that particular move?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
First of all -- I must remember, much as I absolutely love her, NEVER to call my grandmother for a chat within an hour before something I want to watch on TV comes on, because the odds of me getting off the phone with her in under an hour and a half are slim indeed!! :biggrin: [Actually, it's never happened yet :laugh: ] Once again I forgot!! Therefore -- I missed

1. Jessica
2. Anwar

3. Mikalah -- I did turn it up to get at least an idea of how she'd do (my grandmother is pretty darn close to deaf so she wouldn't be able to hear it in the background anyway) , and from what I could tell, this did not actually seem too bad. Better than the last 2 weeks, anyway.

4. Constantine -- This is one of those songs that I hate so much anyway no matter how badly you sing it, it's not gonna sound any worse to me than the original. He didn't too badly with it, near as I can tell, but I could have done without the sleazy facial expressions.

Was able to end the conversation during the commercial break.

5. Lindsay -- not a good choice for her; I just found the vocals downright strange.

6. Anthony -- I don't know which is worse. The original, which sounds like it was done by the Muppets, or Anthony's Airport Lounge take. Vocally fine, could have done without the arrangement, tho I'm not sure doing it the original way would have been that much better. Probably worse, actually.

7. Nadia -- This seemed uneven to me. I like Nadia a lot, but I wasn't thrilled with this.

8. Bo -- Another song I can rather do without, but he did quite a good job with it. However, I am completely expecting him to end up humping the stage like Billy Idol before he's over with.

9. Vonzell -- Vonzell was very Beyonce this evening, and tho I'm rather neutral when it comes to Beyonce, in this case, I mean this as a compliment. This was VERY NICE indeed.

10. Scott -- He is NO Smokey Robinson, that is for DANG FIRE sure. And THAT was supposed to be excited? THAT was supposed to be having fun? Why? Because he MOVED AROUND?? Vocally, this was very uneven, but it could have been worse; the "presentation", so to speak, was just downright dull.

11. Carrie -- RealtorGal, you hit the nail on the head with this one. That was my problem, too. Where was the frustration? Where was the anger? Where was any kind of edge at all? Vocally fine, but don't do a song involving longing and frustration if you aren't going to bother to project any of that at all.

12. Nikko -- QUIT GRABBING YOUR CROTCH!! What are you, Usher? It's bad enough when ANYONE does it, but for this song it was completely inappropriate. That being said -- Vocally, I really liked this and thought he did an excellent job, especially considering he probably didn't have as much time to prepare as did the others, due to him coming back into it at the last minute and all. I just about died when Simon made that comment about him being the only one in the building with decent hearing -- if I were Paula, I would have said, "EXCUSE me, but were you or were you not the one who told Travis Tucker a couple of weeks ago that once you played his performance back at your hotel you realized he didn't sound nearly as bad as you thought he did?" Sounds like a hearing problem to me, especially considering he gave Scott a thumbs up!

The 2 best (IMO): Bo and Vonzell
The 2 worst (ditto): Scott and Lindsay

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Addendum

Piel, you're right. I said Smokey Robinson (re. Scott) and it was the Temptations; I guess I got my Motown male groups from my "Big Chill" soundtracks mixed up!! :laugh: You're right -- he's no David Ruffin. And I'm right, too, because I can guarantee you he's also no Smokey Robinson.... :laugh:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Just watched the tape and had to put in my 2 cents, so from best to worst:

The best: Nadia and Bo
Nadia sounded great and looked fabulous. Bo was awesome.

Next best: Anthony, Anwar, and Jessica. Not as horrible, but not their best.

Hoping for better next time: Vonzell, Carrie, Nikko, Constantine

Want to like but....: Scott - He sounded good, but where's the excitement????

The worst: Lindsey and Mikalah

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Realtorgal said:
Okay, my lecture is over. (Boy, sometimes I really do get a bit carried away, don't I?)
Rgal,
You know you're my greatest Twinnie, but you've got a LOOONG way to go for you lectures to get anywhere near as carried away as mine, lol! But needless to say, ITA with everything you said. As they say, You should not open your mouth until you have a reason to sing it and understand that reason.

For those who can't stand Scott, try this if you're up for it. If he doesn't get voted off--and IMHO he shouldn't--then next week before Scott sings, close your eyes and listen to the whole song that way.

Thank you, Bo, for redeeming a song "Blood, Sweat, & Tears" had always ruined for me.

I'm digging Nadia big-time.

I've always liked Constantine, but this week he definitely brought his A game.

Mikalah, please go. Please go do my sitcom idea with Fran Drescher. You're not a singer but you are a natural comedic actor. You'll make lots more money in sitcoms and last longer to boot. You might even make it to movies and be a star. Just please, please, stop singing. Thank you.

Rgor;

Petlover

On the Ice
IMO, my top pick was a tie between Bo, Constantine, and Carrie. After that, Jessica. My bottom two were Lindsay and Mikalah. I do agree with the judges that a lot of the performances were not as good as the singers are to have made it this far, but heck, I give all of them kudos for just getting up there and getting this far.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
You guys are so funny!!

Love all the reviews!! Have little to add except a couple fashion tid bits...

What is with some of these gals (i.e. Carrie) who wear a top that includes sequins, and faded ratty looking jeans????? Maybe that's "high fashion" these days, but that look needs to go in the basement with the polyester liesure suits of that era.

Nadia - my very favorite thus far. One of the few that was "middle of the pack" for me in the beginning, but has really grown on me. IMO she is the only one who pulled off a great jeans outfit way back in week one of the top gals. I think she has shown us different types of songs, with different "looks" to go with them. It's a complete package IMO.

Mikaylah, low slung pants and a midrif aren't for you honey. How in the world did she make it this far with that voice anyway??? (oh yeah, I forgot, comic relief)

Bo - liked him again. You can sure tell he's got experience working a stage and crowd.

Constantine - STOP THE MUGGING!!! That cutsie little grin and look he does everytime he sees the camera is about to drive me nuts. I'm not sure why it drives me nuts, but it sure does.

Nikko - the baggy jean thing combined with the grabbing made him look like he had a load in his britches or something.

Scott - I too wish he would smile and have some fun. I don't see him in the top six (well, maybe since most of the girls are not so great) but his voice is growing on me. I also think he's gotten some decent fashion advice along the way. The last few weeks he seems to be wearing outfits that work OK for him.

Anwar - loved the outfit, but hated the song choice. Whatever decade is up for next week, I hope he picks something more energetic and fun.

Nadia and Bo definately my faves from last night.

DG

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Pretty much agree with everyone's assessment.......although I liked Anthony's rendition of "Don't Take Your Love" better than most. (Saw Neil Sedaka sing that slow version for the first time at Lake Tahoe in 1971 and he literally melted the audience).........agree, Mikayla should go, although I thought her performance last night wasn't half that bad for her..........sorry, but I LOVE Constantine's voice and attitude on stage......he's HOT!!!! 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
DG - considering Old Navy provides most of the wardrobe they don't have a lot of chices for pants...

however no one said they have to be high fasion... just a nice top is fine... and "ratty jeans" are the in style for young people... you can't get a pair of jeans that are flare or boot cut that don't come faded or with holes

merrywidow

Record Breaker
1-Nadia Turner (I always loved this song & Dusty Springfield)
2-Constantine (this is the best I've heard from him & I was surprised to realize that he has a very good voice.)
3-Anthony (great voice & I liked his rendition of this Sedaka song).
4-Jessica
5-Bo Bice
6-Vonselle
7-Anwar
8-Carrie
9-Scott
10-Nikko
11-Micalah
12-Lindsey (she was horrible. In future, please confine your vocals to your shower.)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I know, I know...

Tonichelle said:
DG - considering Old Navy provides most of the wardrobe they don't have a lot of chices for pants...

however no one said they have to be high fasion... just a nice top is fine... and "ratty jeans" are the in style for young people... you can't get a pair of jeans that are flare or boot cut that don't come faded or with holes

My age is showing. :biggrin: I miss the good old days when you had to wear a pair of jeans for years before they were faded and had holes in them. :rock:

Whichever Old Navy has been providing Nadia's clothes, I want to shop there!!

All in good fun, of course.

DG

Just a sort of FYI/question...it wasn't officially Motown night was it, I thought it was '60's night??? Maybe I missed the mention of Motown.

I put them in this order:
Nadia--she was darned wonderful
Bo--his best performance of the season I think
Anthony--maybe he wasn't exciting, but he sounded, to my ears anyway, quite good
Constantine--can't help it, I'm a child of the '70's and everyone is probably tired of hearing me say that...the long haired rockers, well, they rock.spineyes.gif
Anwar--sounded pitchy to start but finished pretty well
Vonzell--I thought she looked pretty and sounded good and presented herself well
Scott--you may not like his looks, but the dude can sing decently
Jessica--don't dislike her voice but she didn't present well
Nikko--he's not awful but he just doesn't have "it" for me
Carrie--I WANT to like her but she's disappointed me since auditions
Mikalah--can't get past that she annoys me something awful
Lindsey--to me, she sounds flat and monotone

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Oops ... the most IMPORTANT Fashion Remark

How in the WORLD did I forget to mention Bo's black leather pants????? He can wear those every week.

DG

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
NJSk8Fan said:
Just a sort of FYI/question...it wasn't officially Motown night was it, I thought it was '60's night??? Maybe I missed the mention of Motown.
When Constantine introduced his song, he said it was a Motown song - which I don't remember it being but someone else mentioned that one of the songwriters was from Motown.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
This is just personal opinion, but I am totally and completely turned OFF by guys with long hair. I like men to look clean shaven with short hair.

That being said, I absolutely love Bo. I do not like the way he looks at all with all that long hair. I think his face is handsome and he would look fabulous with short hair. I would probably swoon in front of the television set.

I love his voice, his energy, his performance style, his polite personality. I'd be thrilled to see him take it all.

I thought it was sad that unlike the other contestants, he didn't have any family in the audience. The caption said "Bo's Friends." Nothing about any family even though in his official bio he says his parents are his heroes.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
This is just personal opinion, but I am totally and completely turned OFF by guys with long hair. I like men to look clean shaven with short hair.

That being said, I absolutely love Bo. I do not like the way he looks at all with all that long hair. I think his face is handsome and he would look fabulous with short hair. I would probably swoon in front of the television set.

I love his voice, his energy, his performance style, his polite personality. I'd be thrilled to see him take it all.

I thought it was sad that unlike the other contestants, he didn't have any family in the audience. The caption said "Bo's Friends." Nothing about any family even though in his official bio he says his parents are his heroes.

Maybe they couldn't make it this week... or they were too nervous to be out there and watch? or he didn't want them watching cuz it'd make him nervous? LOL

and ITA about Bo... I feel the same way...

he totally reminds me of Travis Tritt though :laugh: