Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Qualifying B - Comments

Medalist

Ladies - Qualifying B - Comments

I'm happy for Sasha. One fall isn't bad......

Custom Title
    This proves even with a fall Sasha still can pull up big numbers.

Custom Title
    Wow, Sasha won her QR. Glad she starts strong.

Custom Title
    Sasha's PCS scores are a little lower than I expected. Nothing above 7.5. Looks as though you have to be great to get an 8 in singles. Not so for pairs or dance.

On the Ice
    Didn't Plushenko also only get 7s for his PCS marks? Maybe the judges are holding back in the qualifying.

Joannie! I guess it's only Q round but that skate was so uncharacteristic. Hopefully, it's out of her system now.

Custom Title
    Big-time BUMMER for the Canadian ladies, Cynthia & Joannie. Where are they overall? 10th & 16th? Sheesh....

Custom Title
    Yea! Sasha

Custom Title

Michelle/Sasha

I am very happy for Sasha and disappointed for Michelle. There were reasons for Michelle's scores and I don't think the judges are sending her any messages. She just had a bad skate. I think she will come back fighting however. I hope Sasha can maintain her momentum and do really well for herself. It would be vindication for her decision to go back to John Nicks and would shut up alot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    I am very happy for Sasha and disappointed for Michelle. There were reasons for Michelle's scores and I don't think the judges are sending her any messages. She just had a bad skate. I think she will come back fighting however. I hope Sasha can maintain her momentum and do really well for herself. It would be vindication for her decision to go back to John Nicks and would shut up alot of people.

ITA with you kyla2, and I hope both of them skate their best.

On my best behavior
    Now that Rosaleen has updated her comments on Michelle with the levels (thanks, Rosaleen! ), I have to say that it's criminal that Kwan should have only a Level 1 spiral sequence. Without having seen her performance, it's hard to know whether it was intended to be Level 2 but perhaps was downgraded because she didn't hold her positions long enough, but if it's an absolute Level 1 regardless of execution, then shame on all of her advisors because she's certainly capable of more.

Custom Title
    Very happy for Cohen - would love to see her follow this up with great short and long and a big win! This qualifying group had tougher judging, I think, but regardless, all the ladies are still really in the mix, much like the men were after qualifying, with many, very similar scores. Hope Rochette can pull up after the short. Sounds like nobody had a great qualifier.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller
    Big-time BUMMER for the Canadian ladies, Cynthia & Joannie. Where are they overall? 10th & 16th? Sheesh....
    Yes, overall they may be that far down right now - but it isn't over yet.

Joannie finished 5th in her group (group B). That places her in group #4 for the short, which is the next to last group (top 3 each in A and B go to group 5, 4th-6th to group 4, etc). If she skates well, she could move into the final group - very much like Jeff Buttle did.

Cynthia finished 8th in group A, so she will skate in group #3 for the short. She still has a chance to move into group #3 for the long (she would have to be in 7th-12th after the short).

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug
    Now that Rosaleen has updated her comments on Michelle with the levels (thanks, Rosaleen! ), I have to say that it's criminal that Kwan should have only a Level 1 spiral sequence. Without having seen her performance, it's hard to know whether it was intended to be Level 2 but perhaps was downgraded because she didn't hold her positions long enough, but if it's an absolute Level 1 regardless of execution, then shame on all of her advisors because she's certainly capable of more.

Michelle's spiral sequence at nats was just barely a level 2, so i'm not shocked that she only acheived a level one with an otherwise mediocre performance. It is terribly disappointing, though, since I always thought spirals to be her strong point.

Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh
    Sasha's PCS scores are a little lower than I expected. Nothing above 7.5. Looks as though you have to be great to get an 8 in singles. Not so for pairs or dance.
    Now that I've seen part of Sasha's performance on CBC, she looked a little tentative. To me, her program did not have the flow and grace that we have come to expect from her. So I think the component scores were right for this performance.

Sasha said afterward that the early hour (she had to get up at 6:00 AM for practice) affected her.

Mathman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast