This Worlds Sucks -- Injury List | Golden Skate

This Worlds Sucks -- Injury List

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
List of Injured Skaters (currently known to me -- there are probably more)

Craig Buntin

Takeshi Honda (withdrew)

Evgeni Plushenko (and FSU posted an article from the globe and mail that quoted Mishin as saying that Plushy would withdraw on Thursday.

Johnny Weir

Hongbo Zhao (withdrew)

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
As of 11 pm Russian time (3 pm EST) Mishin did not say that. I read a mini interview in Russian, and here is a very condensed translation:

"According to Mishin, Plushenko can not be in a top form due to the meds he is on (for the back and groin). Plushenko had a bad reaction to these shots (nausea, headaches, etc..). Mishin was asked if Plushenko will participate in tours after the championship, and Mishin said it is still planned, but added that it all depends on health. Mishin said that Plushenko can do the shows right now w/o any problems, but to perform at the world championship the way a defending champ should do - that's where there are doubts.

Another interesting tidbit: when asked to comment on Lambiel thanking him (Mishin) during the press conference following the SP, Mishin refused. He is quoted as saying" I don't want to answer this question. I trained him in the past, and that's it." (my observation - he was all over Yagudin when Alexei didn't thank him after the OGM win).

end

This appreared on late Russian TV so I am not sure when Mishin could be saying that Plushenko may withdraw. I also don't think that Piseev would allow it. But I guess we will know tomorrow. I hope Plushenko feels better and has gets the Russian team 3 spots for next year, but doesn't go crazy and injures himself seriously in the process.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Plushenko may withdraw after all

Ok I take that back.

This just came up on a Russian sports page: Mishin talked to Sport-Express and said that the possibility of Plushenko not skating on Thursday is 100% (why can't he just say, he is not going to skate???). Amazing how fast he changed his position. Evgeni must be really hurting, and I commend Mishin about putting Plushenko's health first.

I wish Evgeni a speedy recovery and all the best for next season...

Yana

Eeyora

Final Flight
I agree this is the worst worlds ever. First Shen and Zhao now Plushenko. Well if things continue not go well for MK at least she can say that the results of Worlds probably won't reflect the Olympics.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Two favourites out of it! I'm glad Plushy and Z/S didn't skate, though, so that they can let their injuries heal for next season. I really, really missed Shen and Zhao in the pairs-wasn't the same without them! Don't think Mens will be the same without Plushy, either.

Ximena

Final Flight
STL_Blues_fan said:
Ok I take that back.

This just came up on a Russian sports page: Mishin talked to Sport-Express and said that the possibility of Plushenko not skating on Thursday is 100% (why can't he just say, he is not going to skate???). Amazing how fast he changed his position. Evgeni must be really hurting, and I commend Mishin about putting Plushenko's health first.

I wish Evgeni a speedy recovery and all the best for next season...

Yana

Plush did practice today in the morning and after it, they decided to withdraw which is why the news were display today and not yesterday night.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Eeyora said:
I agree this is the worst worlds ever. First Shen and Zhao now Plushenko. Well if things continue not go well for MK at least she can say that the results of Worlds probably won't reflect the Olympics.

I think that Michelle's main comment was directly on point -- when asked if she regretted not doing the GP, she said she didn't regret it because she was healthy and so many of the skaters were injured. FWIW, three podium contenders -- Weir, Plushy and Shen & Zhao -- did some or all of the GP series.

BTW -- I just read on FSU that Miki Ando also has an injury, although it is not getting in the way of her skating (yet -- I'm cynical)

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Sk8n Mama said:
Two favourites out of it! I'm glad Plushy and Z/S didn't skate, though, so that they can let their injuries heal for next season. I really, really missed Shen and Zhao in the pairs-wasn't the same without them! Don't think Mens will be the same without Plushy, either.
I'd even say that the only clear favorites are out of it. While N&K win most competitions, they don't have nearly the dominance in the sport that S&Z and Plushy have. Ladies at this point has no clear favorite at all.

Panther2000

On the Ice
attyfan said:
I think that Michelle's main comment was directly on point -- when asked if she regretted not doing the GP, she said she didn't regret it because she was healthy and so many of the skaters were injured. FWIW, three podium contenders -- Weir, Plushy and Shen & Zhao -- did some or all of the GP series.

BTW -- I just read on FSU that Miki Ando also has an injury, although it is not getting in the way of her skating (yet -- I'm cynical)

She is corrrect when it comes to her health. The ever growing demands on the sport is also killing it. 95% of its major stars have had to retire Withdraw & had Major injuries in the past 4 years. The demands for more & More powerful jumping is killing the sport. This sport used to be a winter season event but, now look at all the empty seats at this years worlds. for a country who's skaters will dominate the championship they can't even sell out their championship. Now, Plushenko is out of the competiton. & he hasn't been healthy for years now. Timmy's injuries for the past 2 years. Johnny, & the many many others skaters who have been out on & off for the past 4 years. Though, I do think that Michelle should have skated at least 2 events in the past few years. But, she has been pretty much injury free. I have heard of problems with her hips & back but, nothing major. I love the sport & also would like to see it move forward. But at what cost. Figure skating should be about skating not so much ponding on the body. A program with 5 or 6 triples with alot of footwork & edgeing & artisitc styles should be more than enough. & Get rid of that damn Quad( Talk about damage). The younger skaters of today won't have a 10 + year career or 3 olympics like Michelle or a 2 Olympic year careers like Yagudin & Plushekno. Not with the way the sport is going. The Injuries alone will force them out. & That is sad.