Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if this is a spoiler...Men's LP

Skating Freak Barbie

Not sure if this is a spoiler...Men's LP

Plush officially withdrew a little while ago. :( I hope he gets healthy and has a better season for the Olympics.

Kasey

Custom Title
    Well it will make the men's comp less interesting but it's probably the smart thing to do. Why risk long-term injury? This bodes better for the US men in terms of securing the third spot for next year. It also puts Jeffrey Buttle in good position for a medal, which would be fantastic. Hope he handles the pressure.

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    I hope Plush will go get whatever medical attention he needs. It will seem strange to watch the Men's LP without him though.

DG

Plush has never been my favorite-but I do have respect for his technical consistancy and he has grown on me. I do think this is the right decision-he has been world champion and the smart move is to concentrate on not worsening this injury in a pre-Olympic year. The groin injuries scare me. It doesn't seem like Urmanov or Stojko ever came back 100% after they suffered these.

My concern has always been for the longevity of the skater not for the individual competitition or show. (See Lipinski, Tara-another skater who I don't love but still wish was able to skate). I hope he recovers so that Olympics can be an awesome comp with everyone in good shape. I am not sure if Weir shouldn't do the same thing-though I believe Plush's problems are way more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by 76olympics
    Plush has never been my favorite-but I do have respect for his technical consistancy and he has grown on me. I do think this is the right decision-he has been world champion and the smart move is to concentrate on not worsening this injury in a pre-Olympic year. The groin injuries scare me. It doesn't seem like Urmanov or Stojko ever came back 100% after they suffered these.

My concern has always been for the longevity of the skater not for the individual competitition or show. (See Lipinski, Tara-another skater who I don't love but still wish was able to skate). I hope he recovers so that Olympics can be an awesome comp with everyone in good shape. I am not sure if Weir shouldn't do the same thing-though I believe Plush's problems are way more serious.
    I agree with you, and I hope Plushenko takes the time he needs to get healthy.

Custom Woman
    I feel terrible for Plush! I do like him and feel he's a great, if unorthodox, champion. But--IMO, he either received terrible medical advice or ignored good medical advice about his knee. He had a meniscal tear about 18 months ago. Plush said he was going to have it surgically repaired after last year's Worlds. He didn't. The thing about meniscal tears is that they aren't very painful until time works its ways on the injury. If someone didn't explain this to him, someobdy should have Grgranny whip them with a wet noodle!

Of course I hoped his knee would hold hope, but I've never seen a meniscal tear where the situation involved a sport where it didn't need surgery in order for the athlete to compete.

I haven't seen Plush's knee, obviously, and perhaps he was following physicans' advice. It so, I would say, "Shame on the doctors," except even with meniscal tears, sometimes these things are very hard to call.

I just hope Plush gets the surgery he needs--it's usually a minimally invasive proceducre done by an instrument about the circumference of a pencil--and comes back like the Plush we know, strong and ready to strut his stuff!

I also hope lessons are learned from Plush and poor Hongbo Zhao now for the Olympic year. But knowing human nature--including mine--I doubt it. Sigh!

Rgirl
    Last edited by Rgirl; 03-17-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Custom Title
    The knee is very bad, there was this picture with the physician that was supposed to make the surgery a year ago and it was very very very swollen.

I honestly don't know how Evgeni can walk, let alone skate will all the injuries he has right now.

I'm very sad to not see him compete, because I'm such a huge fan of him, but it was the right desition to make, and he really tried with the QR and SP. He only made it this far because he was skating in Russia, otherwise he would have withdrawn long time ago.

Hope he can recover, rest, get some of the number of surgeries he needs now and came back full force next season for Olympics.

Now, will Russia get at least 2 places for Olys? Three seems impossible now, but could they make two?

Custom Title
    I'm somewhat skeptical that Plush is going to get the treatment he needs. Mishin or Plushenko made a comment (sorry I don't have a link) that he's still going to do shows b/c show skating is different from competitive skating. If Plush does shows, just kiss the OGM good bye. I think the stars are aligning for Lambiel to win the big one next year regardless of this year's worlds outcome.

I agree, Soogar. Shows are NOT the way to go. Didn't SOI and pro-ams just finish off Tara despite this so-called "easiness"? Injuries need to be tended to promptly and thoroughly or you can look forward to irreversible damage.

I hope someone on that team has some modicum of sense or looks at the history. I am still depressed about Urmanov's abortive career. I wasn't crazy about the costumes-but I liked elements of his skating. He never had a chance to develop them.

Does anyone know the answer to Ximena's question? With Plush out, what do Griazev and Dobrin have to do to get two places for Russian men at the Olympics? Or is there some kind of special rule that will give them a break if their top guy has to withdraw during the competition?

Right now Griazev is in 9th place and Dobrin is in 15th, for a total of 24.

MM

Custom Title
    I think he made a good decision. He's never been my favorite skater, but I have always respected the skills, and hate to see any skater's career ended by injury, which is what they risk when they try to skate through an injury. With the knee, and the back, and the groin - Plushenko should sit this one out, no matter how disappointing not to be able to skate in his home country. In the long run it will be the best thing. He obviously hasn't been able to put his best out there at this competition due to the injuries anyway.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Does anyone know the answer to Ximena's question? With Plush out, what do Griazev and Dobrin have to do to get two places for Russian men at the Olympics? Or is there some kind of special rule that will give them a break if their top guy has to withdraw during the competition?

Right now Griazev is in 9th place and Dobrin is in 15th, for a total of 24.

MM
    No special rule only that they won't take the hit for the guy to withdraw... so both skaters have to have placements equal to 13. There's still time for both of these guys to move up. Dobrin is skating well. I hope these guys can get 3 places b/c I have a feeling that Ilia Klimkin is going to lose his opportunity to make the Olympic team. On a brighter note, the Russians have 3 spots for Euros so if they don't get 3 here, they'll probably have a skate off between Klimkin and Gryazev at Euros (assuming Plush will compete as well) and the higher of the two will go to the Olympics.

The magic number to keep two places is 28, so Dobrin would have to be 18th and Griazev would have to finish 10th or better.

Custom Title
    Dobrin and Gryazev barely made the 2 spots needed. Whew... Klimkin mentioned in an interview posted on FSU how he's interested in working with TT. I wonder if TT might give him a shot now that it looks like Griazev isn't really working out.

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    I'm somewhat skeptical that Plush is going to get the treatment he needs. Mishin or Plushenko made a comment (sorry I don't have a link) that he's still going to do shows b/c show skating is different from competitive skating. If Plush does shows, just kiss the OGM good bye. I think the stars are aligning for Lambiel to win the big one next year regardless of this year's worlds outcome.

I wish!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast