Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Men Free Skate - What were the judges thinking???

Tripping on the Podium

Men Free Skate - What were the judges thinking???

Just my thoughts on the Men's Free Skate ...

... there is no question that Stephane Lambiel is the rightful champion ... he skated superbly through all three parts of the competition.

But what's up with the rest??? I mean, I can just get over Jeff Buttle winning silver (though he shouldn't have been ahead of Weir) ... but Lysacek with the bronze? Are you kidding me?`

I was watching the competition live in TV with two friends who couldn't understand this either.
    The German commentators were completely outraged at the final result!!!

How could Johnny Weir not be on the podium? How could anyone prefer Evan Lysacek's program to that of Johnny who is so much stronger both in the technical elements and program components?

I have been watching figure skating for many years, and have been to many competitions, but this World Championship is leaving a bitter aftertaste.

There were several other decisions that apparently no one can understand but not giving Johnny Weir the Bronze medal is unforgivable.

Vanessa

Custom Title
    Dude, WHAT ABOUT LI!!!!!!

Man , I'm so tired of the Li robbing. It's not as if Yevgeny or Brian do *much* harder spins that Li but they are rewarded for their jumps. This is not the case with Li. This is a bunch of bulls!t.

So where are all the haters who complained about Irina winning euros over girls who completed more jumps? I guess when Buttle and Lysacyk get into the medals it's okay b/c no one cares about Li.

Rinkside
    I completely agree. I watched them all skate and I just can't understand it. I can't help but think that if Weir would have been in the final group to skate that he would have had a much higher score. It's just not right or fair.

Don't you just love it! All along we thought it was the scoring system, but it looks like it was the judges after all! Congrats to Evan! 42

Custom Title
    I'm thrilled for all three podium finishers. Congrats Stephane (WORLD CHAMP!), Jeff & Evan!

As for Johnny...maybe his style is a tad too 'lightweight' (not to mention 'effeminate') for certain judges? I'm not saying it's fair. But just throwing that one out there for everyone to ponder. Evan's overall skating style might be seen as more manly, yet artistic. Jeff, too, balances the masculine & the feminine a bit better than does Johnny.

Sorry - I'm just trying to make sense of this.

I need to watch all of this tonight on TV. I'm just going by everyone's comments & my past viewings of all these guys.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Dude, WHAT ABOUT LI!!!!!!

Man , I'm so tired of the Li robbing. It's not as if Yevgeny or Brian do *much* harder spins that Li but they are rewarded for their jumps. This is not the case with Li. This is a bunch of bulls!t.

So where are all the haters who complained about Irina winning euros over girls who completed more jumps? I guess when Buttle and Lysacyk get into the medals it's okay b/c no one cares about Li.
    Actually, according to Rosaleen's reports, Buttle landed more jumps than Li. Buttle also has extremely COP friendly choreography, excellent spins etc. Lysacek also completed the same (possibly one more) number of jumps as Li. So this wasn't about jumps. I'd say Li has to look at his overall package.

On another topic, I am puzzled by Weir's FS placement, if not his overall placement, if Rosaleen's reports are correct. If they are, it sounds like he had one of the better freeskates, but only placed 6th. Hmmmm. I really like his skating and if he completed the list of jumps it's reported he did, I think he should have placed higher in this portion of the competition. As for overall placement, I have a hard time getting too worked up - there are three phases, all of which count. He didn't do so well in two of them. To say he should hands-down be on the podium seems a bit of a stretch to me.
    Last edited by rain; 03-17-2005 at 05:06 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Could he have cheated a few of his jumps where he had tight landings?

On the Ice
    Perhaps he was also skating a little slower or more tentatively...?

Custom Title
    It was just a complete splatfest from the first skater on.
    Weir AND Sandhu were robbed in the free, deserved hands down first and second place in no particular order.

The rest was just painfull to watch, except for Van Der Perren who at least stayed nearly on his two feet.

What a disapointing night despite Stéphane's title (which I am sooo sooo glad he got !)

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by indiaskye1
    Just my thoughts on the Men's Free Skate ...

... there is no question that Stephane Lambiel is the rightful champion ... he skated superbly through all three parts of the competition.

But what's up with the rest??? I mean, I can just get over Jeff Buttle winning silver (though he shouldn't have been ahead of Weir) ... but Lysacek with the bronze? Are you kidding me?`

I was watching the competition live in TV with two friends who couldn't understand this either.
    The German commentators were completely outraged at the final result!!!

How could Johnny Weir not be on the podium? How could anyone prefer Evan Lysacek's program to that of Johnny who is so much stronger both in the technical elements and program components?

I have been watching figure skating for many years, and have been to many competitions, but this World Championship is leaving a bitter aftertaste.

There were several other decisions that apparently no one can understand but not giving Johnny Weir the Bronze medal is unforgivable.

Vanessa

I beleive Johnny Weir fell in the short program - Jeff did not - he skated a near perfect program - big difference.

average opinionated skate fan
    Wow, what a ride.....thoughts...

Weir: Still Prould of him...he skated injured and still acquitted himself as one of the best in the world.

Evan: Never forget the power of judges and coaches. Not that Evan isn't a great skater, let's just say that I feel FC no longer has the same problem he did with Linda F at her Olypics. Still, he was second in the Junior Worlds two or three times behind Andrei GRIAZEV and now wins a world medal at his first Senior Worlds. Whatever way he got it, way to go! Between he and JW, the US has 3 Olympic spots.

Tim: Had a rough way to go, after all of last year's promblems and this year's upheavals, I think he did really well. Sort of like last years Irina, just glad to see him out there and hanging in.

Kevin V d P: almost on the edge of breaking through, If uninjured he could be next year's dark horse for a medal at Olympics.

Jeff Buttle: I think the most balance of athletic and artistic abilty in one skater among the men skating today. If he gets a quad, watch out BIG TIME.

Stephane: Great big American hugs for pulling it all out when it counted. Many of us have waited for you to emerge from the shadows into greatness. If he continues to skate like that, I think Plushy may have somehting serious to worry about next Olys.

By the way, unless there is some special ruling, does his withdrawal and the placement of the other Russian men really mean that there will only be one spot for the guy's on Team Russia?

Custom Title
    The Russian men barely qualified 2 men for the games (by the hair of their teeth).

Skating enthusiast

Johnny's Technical marks...

.....were very, very, very low. Only 60.-- some points, or well into 15th place technically. He must not have been given credit for the jumps Rosaleen listed. His PCS were higher, near 4th place.

This is weird! We have a judges reports and Rosaleen. We will have to wait and see what happened for ourselves.

Custom Title
    According to the CBC broadcast tonight Johnny Weir only did 7 jumping passes out of a possible 8. As well he really slowed down towards the end.

Custom Title
    I think if he had put in another jumping pass he would have certainly been in for the bronze and second in the long program...a critical error on his and/or the coaches part.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast