Ticked with Plush! My mini rant | Golden Skate

Ticked with Plush! My mini rant

soogar

Record Breaker
Man am I pi$$ed that Plush toured instead of taking care of injuries. His greed nearly cost poor Klimkin a chance at going to the Olympics. I can't imagine what Klimkin was thinking sitting there all helplessly in the stands watching this crap unfold. I love Plush and his skating, but if I see another photo on FSU of Plush buying yet another car I might wretch. And he doesn't seem to get the idea that maybe he needs to get his injuries treated. His coach (no link) and him were talking about how show skating is easier than competitive skating and that Plush might tour with Collins. This is total BS!!!!

If he tours with Collins and stubbornly refuses to get his knee treated, I hope karma bites him in the a$$ and that he finishes 4rth in the Olympics and that Klimkin will win gold (or a medal of any color). I want to see his expression when the second fiddle skater in Russia kicks his a$$ in the Olympics. I think that would be rich.

Okay , I feel a lot better now.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
His greed nearly cost poor Klimkin a chance at going to the Olympics.

??? Maybe poor Klimkin should up his game and finish higher so that his going to the Olympics isn't dependant on anyone's performance but his own?

soogar

Record Breaker
Do you really think that if Klimkin outskates Plush at Russian Nats and if Russia had only one spot, they would send Klimkin? Klimkin a late bloomer with no major titles over a 3 time World Champ?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hey, the Russian Fed is going to send who it thinks is most likely to bring home a medal. It up to Klimken to put himself in that position.

soogar

Record Breaker
Eeyora said:
Doesn't Russia have two spots?

Yes, Russia got its two spots by the skin of its teeth. I'm still b!tching b/c it didn't need to be like that.

Ximena

Final Flight
honestly considering how Uspesnki, Griazev and even Dobrin are skating, I doubt Ilia would make the theam (and I adore Ilia). I remember reading reports from his finals practice (before surgery and all) and the one writing it, always mentioned that Ilia really don't seem to care to train that much or anything.

That Plush should have taken care on his injuries, that's true, but from that to Plush being at fault that Ilia might not get his oly spot that's another thing. Russia has two spots and if Ilia wants to go, he needs to fight for it. At SLC Russia had three spots and he lost it to Abt.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well in Klimkin's defense, he was in extreme pain and was trying to "jump in the injury to dull the pain" (FSU interview translation) and the pain got so bad that he finally relented to surgery. I don't think anyone (except for Plush) could train very hard with that kind of injury.

One thing I think about Ilia is that he doesn't like beating his friends in competition. I get the impression from his interviews that he's very good friends with both Sasha Abt and Plush and I think that in 2002, he subconsciously didn't skate well so Abt could make the team (no way would he beat Yagudin and Plush).

Ilia had also had problems adjusting to the rigorous training requirements of his new coach so maybe he doesn't like to work ( I don't know him so I can't say for sure). However Ilia is the best overall Russian skater and COP was made for him. Looking at this Worlds, a skater of Ilia's quality missing a few jumps would have made the podium and Ilia might have even won the whole thing over Lambiel. Lambiel's free skate really wasn't that good in terms of the popped jumps (actually reminded me of most of Klimkin's skates). Ilia is the best Russian spinner, has a consistent quad (he has more misses on the triples than his quads), and interesting choreography and transitions. It stuns me that he hasn't beaten Plush yet considering he is more talented than Plush but Ilia just doesn't have that competitive fire. However Ilia is miles better than Gryazev, Dobrin and Uspenski and Ilia is used to skating COP friendly programs b/c he has been doing them all throughout his career.

nicole_l

Final Flight
One thing I think about Ilia is that he doesn't like beating his friends in competition. I get the impression from his interviews that he's very good friends with both Sasha Abt and Plush and I think that in 2002, he subconsciously didn't skate well so Abt could make the team (no way would he beat Yagudin and Plush).
I think that's a crappy attitude for a competitor.
Let's get healthy, Klimkin!

Ximena

Final Flight
What I meant is that he was in the ice, but he used to anything but training, He gooefed around, skate around, dance around (all that in the ice) except actually training, then again you could be right, he might have wanted to hide his pain so he acted like he did not care.

About Ilia not wanting to beat his friends, well then he picked a very wrong nation to be in, because he has got to realize that Pissiev will send the one that can assure Russia a medal or a very good place. Look at worlds, the alternates were Uspenski and Lezin and at the end, he did not send them at all and went for Dobrin. Ilia is very good freinds with Griazev, does that means now that he is not planning to beat him either? I hope he does beat him because I want him and Plush in Olys!.

The men event at Worlds were really weird (not unlike the wonderful performances at Dortmund 2004) who knows if Ilia would have fall into that state of mind that seemed to attacked all the others that was "Plush, have withdrawn! I really have a chance to win this thing!"
I don't think Ilia is the best spinner of the Russia, I will have to pick Alexander Abt. Ilia has a wonderful camel spin and that's really pretty much it. At the SP, for his three spins (spin in one foot, change of foot and the combo) he only uses the camel, in COP that would kill him. I know a lot of people rant about Plush spins, but he is now faster than Ilia spinning and actually hits more position than him (even without counting the biellman)

If he does not have the "competitive fire" as you say, then he might have chose the wrong thing to do, he needs to have that, Ilia is running out of time, he is now the oldest of the Russia and Turino will be his last chance for sure. And I wish he makes it, because I really really like him.

I for one would not blame Plushenko if he wanted to skate with Champions on Ice in the summer, if his injuries allow it. As a person matures, he gets a life besides just obsessing about a gold medal. I think that's why teenagers so often grab the top prize. Look at the ages of the men's Worlds podium.

Mathman

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, yesterday I would've agree with you. But today after seeing Lady's SP (from web stream), I would say under the big scheme of the scene Plushy's withdraw saved the Russian some grace.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I wonder what the ISU and/or Russian Federation will think if Plushy does COI. I know that show skating is easier than competiton, but he tried that argument before (trying to justify his decision to withdraw from the NHK Troply and then do a show on the same night, and it didn't go over too well with the ISU -- and what I heard is that the Russian Federation refused to go to bat for him. If Plushy does pull out, could Collins sign Lambiel, Buttle and/or Lysacek, or are any (or all) of these guys scheduled to do something else?

Eeyora

Final Flight
If I were Collins I would sign those three regardless if Plushenko signs up or not. The tour needs new talent.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Eeyora said:
If I were Collins I would sign those three regardless if Plushenko signs up or not. The tour needs new talent.
ITA.
And no Irina, since she "would be gladly refuse US COI toure if Russian can provid me the same ice toure with the same income".

soogar

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
ITA.
And no Irina, since she "would be gladly refuse US COI toure if Russian can provid me the same ice toure with the same income".

:laugh:

I'm pretty sure the Russians can't afford to pay the $75/ticket that would allow Irina to make as much in Russia as she can in the US.

Ximena

Final Flight
attyfan said:
I wonder what the ISU and/or Russian Federation will think if Plushy does COI. I know that show skating is easier than competiton, but he tried that argument before (trying to justify his decision to withdraw from the NHK Troply and then do a show on the same night, and it didn't go over too well with the ISU -- and what I heard is that the Russian Federation refused to go to bat for him. If Plushy does pull out, could Collins sign Lambiel, Buttle and/or Lysacek, or are any (or all) of these guys scheduled to do something else?

I don't know if ISU would make a problem with Plush doing COI because it's not like Plush did not try, but his injury got worse after the QR and then even worse after the SP, problem was that not only he was in pain but he develo an allergic reaction to the injection he had and that made him withdraw the same day of the FS.
For what I know though, Evgeni already has already refused (on Thrsday) to do Prince Ice shows in Japan in May, they don't know about COI because of contract problems but according to his agent, chances are getting slim that he will do that. They are checking with the doctor in St Petersburg right now to see what is the treatment he is going to follow.