Article: Hughes says 2006 Olympic comeback unlikely | Golden Skate

Article: Hughes says 2006 Olympic comeback unlikely

Eeyora

Final Flight
I agree that it is way too late for Sarah to give the new scoring system a whirl. I wish her the best.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Well, that is a no brainer. She had no pressure during the SLC games & came to play. The front runners let their nerves get the better of them. Sarah came out on top. Frankly, I don't think that she can handle the pressure of a returing olympic champ. Hence her quick exist during the 2003 season. Sorry, But, I never bought that so called injury. She was too busy doing her Tv Specials & cashing in on her 15 mintues( not that I blame her. Her focus is school)of fame. & when it came time to defend what she has won the winter before. An out of shape & untrained sarah skated in 1 fluff event & I believe was embrassed badly. Then all of a sudden their was an injury that had her out until December, then it was until nationals. & at nationals though she skated somewhat better( sasha just melted down during that nationals) she was still out of shape & up to skating readyness. Then pulled out of worlds for that year. & that was all she wrote. & The SOI that aired recently just shows how much she has left skating behind. & that is not a bad thing, she is in school & that is her main priority now. Let those who truly love the sport & that is their main focus skate & leave the others to watch from the stands or on TV.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Panther2000 said:
Frankly, I don't think that she can handle the pressure of a returing olympic champ. Hence her quick exist during the 2003 season. Sorry, But, I never bought that so called injury. She was too busy doing her Tv Specials & cashing in on her 15 mintues( not that I blame her. Her focus is school)of fame. & when it came time to defend what she has won the winter before. An out of shape & untrained sarah skated in 1 fluff event & I believe was embrassed badly. Then all of a sudden their was an injury that had her out until December, then it was until nationals. & at nationals though she skated somewhat better( sasha just melted down during that nationals) she was still out of shape & up to skating readyness. Then pulled out of worlds for that year. & that was all she wrote. & The SOI that aired recently just shows how much she has left skating behind. & that is not a bad thing, she is in school & that is her main priority now. Let those who truly love the sport & that is their main focus skate & leave the others to watch from the stands or on TV.
ITA. And the skip of 2002 Worlds right after the Olympics shown the same can't handle the pressure. The pressure to climb to the top is one thing. The pressure to stay there is another thng. The pressure to be not afraid be defeated right after a big winng is another thing.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
When it's over, it's over - even in Figure Skating.

:eek:hwell:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Panther2000 said:
Well, that is a no brainer. She had no pressure during the SLC games & came to play. The front runners let their nerves get the better of them. Sarah came out on top. Frankly, I don't think that she can handle the pressure of a returing olympic champ. Hence her quick exist during the 2003 season. Sorry, But, I never bought that so called injury. She was too busy doing her Tv Specials & cashing in on her 15 mintues( not that I blame her. Her focus is school)of fame. & when it came time to defend what she has won the winter before. An out of shape & untrained sarah skated in 1 fluff event & I believe was embrassed badly. Then all of a sudden their was an injury that had her out until December, then it was until nationals. & at nationals though she skated somewhat better( sasha just melted down during that nationals) she was still out of shape & up to skating readyness. Then pulled out of worlds for that year. & that was all she wrote. & The SOI that aired recently just shows how much she has left skating behind. & that is not a bad thing, she is in school & that is her main priority now. Let those who truly love the sport & that is their main focus skate & leave the others to watch from the stands or on TV.

I don't remember her pulling out of Worlds. Didn't she finish 6th there? And then she came in 8th (out of 8) in the Spring Event afterwards.Then that was it.

Hughes has already won the big one. Her motivation for intense competition seems to have decreased sharply (which is fine considering the circumstances) but she seems to enjoy skating, so maybe what she's doing now will suit her better...?

mpal2

Final Flight
Sarah skipped the 2002 Worlds and finished 6th in 2003.

I still hate the concept of Olympics being the biggest competition. The most popular US sports have the biggest event every year, not every four. We then get stuck with people who say "I'm a fan, I watch it every Olympics." If you're a fan, you watch it when it's on not once every four years.

But, skating has continued to shoot itself in the foot. Why stop now? I just wonder how many feet they have left before the collapse.
My dream word for skating is one where the judges and the ISU can be trusted. Then have the sport be important every year not every four.

Panther2000

On the Ice
mzheng said:
ITA. And the skip of 2002 Worlds right after the Olympics shown the same can't handle the pressure. The pressure to climb to the top is one thing. The pressure to stay there is another thng. The pressure to be not afraid be defeated right after a big winng is another thing.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree. I don't blame her. She did what was best at the time. She got lucky & she knows it. & rather than get embrassed & proven that she was a 1 & a million winner. She got out. She cashed in so she could go to the ivy leauge school of fer dreams. Not, to mention that people weren't knocking down her doors for endorsements. Nothing against her, she is a very sweet girl.

There is more pressure to stay at the top once you are their & people are biting your heels to knock you off. It just so happend that the butterflies here buzzing around all 3 ladies in front of sarah & she won.
& she was defeated after her win. the campbells skate( a fuff event that should have been easy for her) & right after that event their was an injury all of a sudden. she rested & rested & rested. & then trained to comeback in decemeber & then it was put off again until Nationals. & then she was suppose to go to worlds & all of a sudden worlds is out. & then it is off to school. Nothing wrong with going to school( if that is where your heart lays). But, She never planed on coming back. The sport has moved ahead & she hasn't been training for a while. This was some needs publicity being that she is the current Ladies champion & the olympics is right around the corner. I can't believe that it is 2005 already.

Panther2000

On the Ice
mpal2 said:
Sarah skipped the 2002 Worlds and finished 6th in 2003.

I still hate the concept of Olympics being the biggest competition. The most popular US sports have the biggest event every year, not every four. We then get stuck with people who say "I'm a fan, I watch it every Olympics." If you're a fan, you watch it when it's on not once every four years.

But, skating has continued to shoot itself in the foot. Why stop now? I just wonder how many feet they have left before the collapse.
My dream word for skating is one where the judges and the ISU can be trusted. Then have the sport be important every year not every four.

Thanks you are correct. She has not shown up at worlds sense before the olympic games.