Petition to ABC/ESPN | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Petition to ABC/ESPN

Mathman said:
The advertisers. Well, let's see. One of the sponsored was Hooters restaurants. The ad featured one of the Hooters bimbos and Dick Vitale with a fishing pole.

Another was for a "male enhancement" product. It showed a twerpy guy nibbling on a little tiny sausage (before) and then the same guy full of spit and vinegar dancing with his wife (after).

I'll try to get the addresses to write to.

MM
Ah, now it starts to come back to me. I hate that male-enhancement "Bob" guy. I wouldn't go near him with a 10-ft fishing pole. Or hooter, for that matter.

Rgirl

Vash01

Medalist
brad640 said:
I want to petition ESPN to fly Dick Button to Moscow in time for the ladies' final. Peter is okay, but Dick is a legendary commentator and he always adds to the competition. I love hearing what he has to say, and I especially love it when someone does well and he goes crazy for them. New commentators like Peter are so nervous about saying the right thing that they forget to watch what's happening on the ice. Then Terry gets nervous that no one is talking and he rushes in to fill the silence with nonsense. When Dick is there he keeps Terry focused on the skating and there is much less blabber.

Actually I was happy to see Peter back in the commentators booth (you must be new if you think he is a new commentator). He brings so much more to pairs skating commentating than Dick does. Dick is way too biased to objectively point out the positives and negatives of a skate. Peter is not a new commentator at all. He has commentated for years and he is one of the better commentators. He did not look nervous at all. Why does the silence from commentators bother you? I wish they all would be silent during the skate.

I disagree that Terry is focused on skating in Dick's presence. Terry blabbers all the time. The most annoying one was when he shamelessly interviewed Kimmie Meissner during Miki's SP skate. There was nothing Peter could have done about it. Was he going to put his hand on Terry's mouth or Kimmie's to make them shut up?

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
I was disappointed that espn did not show Obertas-Slavnov's LP. Did it get chacked due to some other sports or espn simply chose to show Inoue & Baldwin? Nothing against the US pair, but I would have liked to watch the pair that placed 5th, and one that could be a future star pair.

mpal2

Final Flight
I think some are being a little too harsh about Terry. He has a producer nagging in his ear to say something / anything. I've read an interview where he stated that he is aware that the audience would like to watch the skating without a lot of commentary but the producer is demanding that he speak. I wish I could find that interview.

If you want to complain, point it in the right direction. IMO Terry is one of the better color commentators for skating. It is not his job to point out jumps or anything technical about the actual skating. That's what Susie, Dick, Peggy and Peter are supposed to be doing. Terry is supposed to keep them on track or have them clarify for the nonskating experts.

Be careful what you wish for, we may end up with people like the CBS color commentators. :disapp:

Terry has often expressed his appreciation for the skaters as athletes. I'm pretty sure it wasn't his idea to interview Meissner during Ando's skate. Let the producers get the pointy end of our annoyance.

Last edited:

Hikaru

Final Flight
mpal2 said:
If you want to complain, point it in the right direction. IMO Terry is one of the better color commentators for skating. It is not his job to point out jumps or anything technical about the actual skating. That's what Susie, Dick, Peggy and Peter are supposed to be doing. Terry is supposed to keep them on track or have them clarify for the nonskating experts.

You have made an excellent point here: Terry is not the skating expert in the both, not compared to Sussie, Paul, Peter, Peggy or Dick. He gives some snips of info on the skaters, an as annoying as that can be for some, it is the way to get the viewers interested in other aspect of the athletes, and maybe even make them a fan of the skaters (I just would like that those non-skating facts they share were done before the skating program begins). NOW, with the CoP I would say that Terry (maybe because he did the GP events this season) knows a bit more about the scoring than Dick or Peggy, the latter which did not commented much on the different levels of spins, like saying "skater x did a level y spin because they did a,b,c..." or something like that. I would have made the booth with Terry, Paul (who was absent) and Sussie (OT, is she having a baby? 'cause if she is I totally missed it), or even Peter, and would have kept Peggy doing the interviews to the skaters.

To me it was important that the commentaros would have made remarks on what makes a level 1,2 or 3, etc, so that the audience can understand a bit more about the CoP. I loved the way Eurosports presented the scores, especially for the PCS because you could see the mark for each of the 5 components. ESPN should take note of that.

sk8addict

On the Ice
coverage sucks

I'm already working on my signs for next years nationals. Don't expect that they will get on air but they are for the fans in the stands. A-ufully B-ad C-overage & E-very S-hort P-rogram N-ot shown was missed.