Dance - Free Dance - Notes from Rosaleen | Golden Skate

Dance - Free Dance - Notes from Rosaleen

Rosaleen

Medalist
Note: The following reports are copyright Golden Skate. Please, while you may provide links to reports, do not copy & paste them elsewhere. Thank you.

Please don't post in this thread (it's easier for me), use the thread for the event marked 'comments'. Thanks

Rosaleen

Medalist
I'm not going to try and describe every element or I'll go crazy tryping and won't see anything. I'm going to try and give most of the elements and describe the main features of the dances along with what I think of them. I'll note anything really good or bad (IMO) about the dance. We'll see how it goes, I'll do my best.

Rosaleen

Medalist
UKR Golovina / Voiko Start 1
Notes Music: Gypsy King Medley Costumes red & Black / music starts out with male volcal / Nice strt line lift with him in shoot duck and her laying back on his legs, their spin was very nice & centered with pretty positions / I feel that they've got the character of the music for the most part / I liked the diagonal step seq / pb 76.04 / 66.81 points / I was going to give you levels, but there's just too many elements to try and get them down before the next team skates - there's 11 elements, all of which have a level attached

Rosaleen

Medalist
POL Kauc / Zych Start 2
Notes Music: Bregovic Medley Costumes: fold style maroon & turqoise??? With black & white blouse/shirt - are they as bad as they sound, yes IMO / music is not what I'd expect based on the costume - at least not the 1st 2min / now it picks up just a bit - lift with her circling his body holding her blades (donut lift) - I suspect we'll see lots of those - high points and another with her hooking her leg around his neck and then in splits - maybe I can come up with a short-hand for those before the end of the night / there were a couple of nice moves in this program, but on the whole it didn't do a lot for me, I found the music very monotonous which didn't help matters / pb 79.88 / 67.50 coming in / 3 x lev4, 6 x lev3, 2x lev2 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
ITA Aureli / Vaturi Start 3
Notes Music: Out Here on my Own, Fame Remix Costume: both in black with bit of light orange down one side / music starts fairly slow with female vocal / nice set of matching twizzles and neat low lift with her somehow doing sort of a omesault / now we're into Fame and crowd is clapping a bit and they're moving faster / diag steps is ok but somehow they don't have enough 'life' in them for this music / ugly upside down semi split lift in the corner right by me and I'm high enough up that I got an awful look at it / music is slower (when I down) and we have a broken pant strap by him just as they're finishing a lift / music is stopped pant leg is fixed and they're going to start from where they left off, now someone has thrown something on the ice at the far end and he's retrieved it -- lets try again crowd is clapping encouragement as they pick it up / into what started out as a nice-looking lift, then she's in upside down splits (my rant of worlds this year) / dance spin as music fades and we're into the main Fame theme and the crowd is clapping enthusiastically / they've got some life now as they do their O ftwrk that looks very complex into a strt line lift with her doing a partial handstand, or at least that's what it looked like from the back view that I got / pb 67.23 / 62.49 coming in /

Rosaleen

Medalist
GER Beier / Beier Start 4
Music: Indian Spirit Costumes: white & turqoise native style as I remember it from when I was a kid from TV / some speaking over a horn & drum / nice donut curve lift / spin has some very nice pos / music picks up and crowd is clapping and they're actually dancing to it / O ftwrk is chor right with the music and I quite liked it / rot lift with her in splits facing him / twizzles match very well / spin is slow but works well with the ballad being sung right now / nice strt then curve lift to end the sectrion / drum beats and a bit of chanting for the diag steps / donut lift with her around his neck then she's kind of upside down - didn't like it and that's the end of the program / I generally liked this program, they move very smoothly over the ice and it doesn't look like they're working hard to maintain the speed / pb 76.09 / 68.90 points coming in /

Last edited:

Rosaleen

Medalist
CHN Yang / Gao Start 5
Notes Music: Turandot, Four Seasons Costumes: her in fushia him in black with fushia accents / music starts out with heavy back beat / at 1 min mark, I don't feel like they're dancing to it at all - I don't even feel like they're dancing, / now music is Turnadot, maybe it'll feel more like a dance - or maybe this music is too associated with free programs for me to think of it as a dance / what a music change! I don't know what to call what the music is right now - just realized it's four seasons / they've done a few nice things in this program, but I just can't call it a dance (and I usually like this team) / sorry I didn't say much about what they actually did, but I just coldn't get into it as a dance / pb 67.45 / 70.24 points coming in /

Rosaleen

Medalist
FRA Pechalat / Bourzat Start 6
Notes Music: Cats (1st of 2 in this group) Costumes: him in brown her in white / starts out with all kinds of 'cat' miming / O steps to drums are quite weel done / lift with her on his shoulder in upside down splits / music changes and some posing and catlike movement / now into jellico ball I think or maybe it's the main theme / I'm not liking the cuts of music they've used too much talking and not enough real music / it's better now -- woops spoke too soon / split lift with her facing use and a I view I know I'll see again tonight but don't really want to / sorry if I sound really negative, but I don't know how to put a positive spin on it / pb 77.19 / 70.71 coming in /

Rosaleen

Medalist
HUN Hoffmann / Elek Start 7
Notes Music: Once Upon a Time in Mexico Costumes Black semi sheer with red accents and underskirt/ starts out very fast music and them dancing / now guitar picking that is getting faster and faster and crowd is clapping / curve then rot lift with her upside down in semi split pos throughout then a rot donut lift / O ftwrk is actually dancing / twizzles match very well / spin in low pos by both is very nice / music has changed and slower but still with beat that crowd is clapping to curve lift then another one with him in low pos and her with one leg through his / twizzles were fine until he fell off last one then a 2nd set and one of them had a problem but not sure who was the one out of sync / music isnow la cucaracha (spelled wrong I know) and they're doing their strt steps right with it / pb 83.20 / 75.51 coming in /

Rosaleen

Medalist
ARM Grebenkina / Azrojan Start 8
Notes Music: Symphony #25 by Mozart Costumes: him in mainly brown with yellow and orange bits hanging off she's in mainly the matching fabric /I missed the 1st bit of program / spin is very nice & with music / now a bit of posing & movement / O ftwrk is fairly intricate / some more posing after their 2nd upside down split lift / curve donut lift / twizzles match and match with the timing of the musc - very nice / and their strt steps actually look like they might be dancing / pb 80.85 / 74.55 coming in /

Rosaleen

Medalist
ISR Gudina / Beletski Start 9
Notes Music: Cats Costumes; back & white & she has a cat's eye chest / some talking and cat-like movement / midline steps starts the program and into O ftwrk - both match the music fairly well / music changes and some cat-dancing at centre ice / next section was fun but sorry, can't really describe it / now in to memory and an upside down curve lift that goes on for ever / and a lift with him in low pos / now into Jellico ball and they may not be doing anything really difficult but to me it was the most enjoyable part of the program, they were dancing to the music and having fun with it (at least as far as I could see) / the music could also have something to do with it <G> / pb 87.58 / 71.25 coming in /

Rosaleen

Medalist
JPN Watanabe / Kido Start 10
Notes Music: Piano Concerto, Moonlight Sonata Costumes: neon yellow-green with purple & black / after some opening chords, music has a real beat / O ftwrk is moving really fast / music now slows and into spin as the melody of moonlight sonata is in the background / lift - him in shoot duck / twizzles are matched / another spin as music fades / nice set of twizzles as beat of music picks up then into diag steps - I enjoyed this section / into an upside down lift into splits into their final pos / just realized that there's 5 lifts, 2 spins, 2 sets of twizzles and 2 step seq in each program, no wonder it seems like it's element to element and no dancing in these programs /

Rosaleen

Medalist
GBR Kerr / Kerr Start 11
Notes Music: Junstin Timberlake Medley Costumes: her in pink with bare midriff him in black / It may not be my kind of music but at least it's dance music / and the first 1:30 was dancing / lift - him in shoot duck her in hand stand / lift - him in shoot duck her in 'swan' dive around him / music changes & has beat and O ftwrk is moving well and it looks like dancing - crowd is clapping / diag steps were complex and with music - maybe moved across ice a little slow /

Rosaleen

Medalist
USA Gregory / Petukhov Start 12
Notes Music: Pink Floyd Medley Bothin black with silver/ some opening moves that are timed right with music / this time I watched and didn't write until the end of the dance. This was the first dance that, to me, was an actual dance and not just a series of elements strung together. They had some nice lifts, their spins were good and they DANCED. Moves were timed with the music /

Rosaleen

Medalist
AZE Fraser / Lukanin Start 13
Notes Music: Tango selection Costume: her in white with black tiger stripe effect with string skirt / him in black with red at neck / that was interesting, music was tango but I'm not entirely sure that their skating was tango / they had some difficult and interesting lifts and I don't remember an upside down split / I'm sorry, I'm really struggling to try and write something intelligent about the dances and I can't seem to find my rythmn for them.

Rosaleen

Medalist
RUS Kulikova / Novikov Start 14
Notes Music: Mon Amour by Brightman, Flamenco Costumes her in black catsuit with red skirt attached him with the same red in batwing shape / music has a sultry kind of beat and they're right with it / O ftwrk has guitar? Picking that is speeding up to almost a frenzy / now into some real crowd clapping music and their twizzles match well / lift with him in spiral / lift him in spread eagal she does hand stand on his thighs then goes into splits / spin at boards near me / some dancing in place andinto strt steps which capture the music but seem sloppy to me / an upside down split lift ends the program / the crowd is cheering madly and the russian flags are out / maybe a bit frentic in spots but it was a dance /

Rosaleen

Medalist
CAN Dubreuil / Lauzon Start 15
Notes Music: Winter Vision, Taboo (Native Indian) Costumes: beige & brown indian themed / twizzles in perfect sync / statue lift / spin with her in Y / rot lift with her hanging on to one of his arms / twizzles matched / some chor at centre ice to chanting / O ftwrk has them doing the same steps a lot and matching well / rot lift with her horizontal to ice then same same going the other direction / diag steps are complex / ships figurehead lift / spin with both in kneeling kind of pos / lift into final pos / seems to me they skated that cleanly and I know it's difficult / I actually enjoyed it although it definitely felt to me like they were going from element to element but I think that's what you have to do in the free dance the way the rules are, at least for now /

Rosaleen

Medalist
ISR Chait / Sakhnovski Start 16
Notes Music: Toccata and Fugue / him in mainly black with bit of orange, her in neon orange / missed the 1st part / rot lift is fast with her in splits facing him / O ftwrk seems to be not keeping up with the music / sit pair spin chg got very slow on back half / twizzles are matched / pause in music / opposing cam spin withchang / curve lift with her in upside down splits to one foot by him / diag steps have them both on one for for at least the 1st half / twizzles matched as mirror images / upside down lift that I missed / rot lift into curve lift ends the program /

Last edited:

Rosaleen

Medalist
RUS Domnina / Shabalin Start 17
Notes Music: The Fifth Element Costumes: Pink& chite with bit of silver / some posing & movment as the music starts / into upright spin / twizzles match / midline steps are withmusic and seem fairly complex the crowd is clapping and cheering as they do low lift with her upside down / curve split lift with her at waist height / music now is soft & slow with female voal / twizzles seem to match / curve lift leg around neck / spin / into O ftwrk as music picks up with a beat and crowd is clapping / different curve lift with her leg around his neck / upside down split lift with her about chest height on him - need I say more /

Rosaleen

Medalist
CAN Wing / Lowe Start 18
Notes Music Zorba the Greek Costumes orange shading to dark blue / music starts with familiar notes & crowd is clapping / some dancing & chor into spin / low curve lift / O ftwrk as music speed up ans crowd is still clapping - steps don't speed up with the music that was I think they should / rot lift with her in splits and then donut - nice / twizzles match as music has slowed / strt lift him low pos / curve lift to rot lift with her changing pos / a bit of dancing in place into spin / music is speeding up now and I think he had a bit of a problem on the end of twizzles / music stops then starts up again for strt steps which match music bbut seem slower than it / rot lift to end the program / even this dance, which had dancing in it , seemed too much of element to element /