Thread: 3 for the olympics?

Rinkside

3 for the olympics?

Am I right in thinking that the United States has, now, 3 spots for the 2006 olympics in ice-dance ? Haven't they lost most of the top/eligible american teams? Who knew that once the US finally got 3 places, they wouldn't have the teams to go? So...what will happen? Will they fill all of the spots they have?

It's all about Plushenko.
    Yup...
    Belbin & Agosto aren't eligible
    Gregory & Pethukov (sp) are eligible for the Olympics
    Manon & O'Meara split
    Stiegler & Magervosky (sp) aren't eligible
    Matthews & Zavosin aren't eligible (I don't think)
    Goodwin & Bommentre split

the Olympics are going to be very interesting for U.S. ice dance.

Quote Originally Posted by nicole_l
    Matthews & Zavosin aren't eligible (I don't think).
    Zavosin may or may not get his citizenship before next year.

It's all about Plushenko.
    Even though they said the rumors weren't true, does anyone think that Stiegler might pair up with Tchernyshev just for the Olympic season?
    Because I would die.

Custom Title
    B/A earned the spot, but they are not eligible. How ironic!
    But I understand rule is the rule. It must be followed.

Tripping on the Podium icedancer2's Avatar
    Maybe David Mitchell and Lauren Geller-Rabinowitz will be back?

I wish Ryan and Lydia hadn't split -- I loved them together...

We shall see. Maybe Tanith's citizenship will come through and we'll all be happy!!

Custom Title
    Johnny Weir offered to marry Tanith to get her citizenship. Cute! How about Peter T and Jamie S?

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Never say never. I'd like to point out that even if the sticklers for "rules" don't respond and expedite Tanith's citizenship, there is always the special act of Congress. They can make her a citizen with one roll-call. Place your bets, anyone?

Custom Title
    I don't think it will happen. Nobody ever wants to set a precedent. Believe it or, not, Congress has more important things to consider...LOL!

I think they might have had a chance if the Olympics were to be held in US, but since it is in Italy and overall, US team does so good in Winter sports, I just don't think it is a priority.

Yana

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    I don't think it will happen. Nobody ever wants to set a precedent. Believe it or, not, Congress has more important things to consider...LOL!

Yana
    Yes, like baseball...

Kwanford Wife

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife
    Yes, like baseball...
    (That one requireded more than three).

MM

PS Wasn't Zavosin born in the U.S?

On the Ice

Peter T.

Quote Originally Posted by nicole_l
    Even though they said the rumors weren't true, does anyone think that Stiegler might pair up with Tchernyshev just for the Olympic season?
    Because I would die.
    What about Peter skating with Lydia? Could that be anything that could happen? She's supposedly looking for a new partner.

Custom Title
    Apparantly, Lydia wants to skate with her boyfriend, that's why she broke up with her partner.

As far as Peter skating with anybody..does it make sence? It would only be for a single season. He is almost 35, and all of these ladies are in their late teens. There will be no future for them, at least in the eligibles. I am sure Lydia and Tiff and lets' say Jaimie (who I heard is retired) would want to achieve something besides just going to the Olympics. Having said that, I am not sure Peter would be interested in training hard just for that..he fullfilled his dream and went to Olympics already.

Great news is that Melissa and Denis can go, and that's a top team.

Yana

Custom Title
    I used to also be one of the Jaime/Peter cheerleaders until I read that she hasn't grown in height at all since she and Justin made such a splash during the 99/00 season. Her name is on the partner search page and she listed her height as 5'3" so despite having (IMHO) the right style and body line for Peter she isn't tall enough. I agree with Jaime wanting to go for more than just one season so even if she was the perfect match for Peter I also don't think she would be happy to have to go on another partner search after just one season. If only we could magically shave a few years off Peter's age.

The Peter/Tiffany rumour turned out to be just that a rumour and even though they would look great together Tiffany and Sergey are fantastic and according to ABC Sergey should have his citizenship in time for Turino should he and Tiffany finish well enough at Nationals next year to make the team.

Watching the dance competition from Worlds this past week I realized how much I missed seeing Peter skate and I was thinking how nice it would have been for him to skate in Russia.

I think the Olympic team will definitely include Melissa and Denis as well as Loren and David who I feel have a great chance at making the team as well. The third spot could easily go to Jaime and whatever partner she ends up with should she really return or I'd like to see Ryan O'Meara and new partner make the trip.