Did you like SOI this year better or less than previous years? | Golden Skate

Did you like SOI this year better or less than previous years?

How do you feel about this years Starts on Ice

• I liked it BETTER

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • I liked it LESS than others in past years

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Hated it

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I haven't see it

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I only saw it on TV, but I really didn't feel it had the heart it usually does.

How did you feel about it?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved it this year (OK, I loved it last year too & the year before, etc., :rofl: ), but I feel to fully appreciate it, you HAVE to see it live (& if you're able to, treat yourself to on-ice seats, or seats within the first few rows). I was disappointed with A&E coverage in some ways this year for several reasons - not showing the numbers in their actual sequence, not showing more of the transitions that got a great audience response (the "flea tenor" in particular), chacking Elena & Anton's "If I Could," & Todd's "Forevermore." I was hoping we'd get to see some interesting "behind the scenes" interviews & other neat things like we did in the 2003 A&E broadcast, but that didn't happen. OTOH, I was really glad that all the ensemble pieces were shown on the broadcast. I like the current cast very much and feel they have "jelled" well (yes, we've been attending the show since 1993, and we do miss the cast members of those days, but no one can do this full tour forever).

Last edited:
Like Gail, I LOVE SOI every year....on a whole, anyway. I have to admit the Gold year, the year there was skating with vanities, was not a favorite of mine(at least those parts of the show weren't). But this year's show would have to rate in the top 3 of the 11 shows I've seen live so far.
I have to be honest and say I'm pretty biased about loving SOI....I don't know what it would take for me to plain dislike the show.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really liked it this year. The transitions were not only good but funny. The time went by so fast. I loved every moment of it.

Dee

Germanice

On the Ice
I like it, I think mainly because of the Russians, who saved it for me. :love:

I'd probably LOVE it minus Hughes and Eldredge, and PLUS Ilia and Kurt being permanent skaters there again.

But what do I know? After all the show was made for US audiences. ;)

Anke

dmr65

On the Ice
I hope A&E continues to broadcast, but allow it to be shown in it's full beauty and enjoyment... What we seen, didn't do the tour justice.. Most who seen it live & on tv seen were not very pleased seen the many glitches and chacks that created a poor image of the tour. There were a very few SOI enthuiasts who enjoyed the tv broadcast Some fan who were regulars, based their decision not to go on that broadcast, and I admit yrs ago I used the tv broadcast to not go..

Now with that said.. Yes, you have to see it live in order to appreciate it. I don't know if this yr is better than last, but there were some very exceptional transition numbers.. I'm bias, so both B&S numbers were the best. Agree, "If I could" As well both Todd's numbers.. :p

Oh, well

Denise..

Vash01

Medalist
I loved the show.It was one of the best SOI's in years. However, what A&E televised was terrible. It was nowhere near the quality of the show. Repeated performances of Sarah Hughes only enhanced the fact that she cannot skate anymore. OTOH both B&S numbers were essentially chacked. 'If I could' was not shown at all, and it was one of the most beautiful pairs pro program. 'Dance mix' was very entertaining in the show, but A&E had to cut it to make it look like 'nothing'.

Eliza

Rinkside
I have been to SOI for the last 3 years & I thought this year's was the best.

Eliza

tvcats

Rinkside
This year's show was the best I've seen. I did enjoy the broadcast, although I would've changed some of it. But seeing it in person was an entirely different experience. The flow & energy of the show was excellent. This cast has become a "family" like the cast from years gone by. It was worth the time & money to travel to see it. I look forward to seeing this particular cast for many years in the future.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I didn't vote because while I liked this show's better than last year or the year before that, it's not as good as the shows from the mid 90's through 2001 which were brilliant. So none of the choices really reflected my feelings.

Kasey

Medalist
I think this year's was the best out of the last three years, by far. Most coherent and cohesive, and LOVE the cast (well, mostly!)

anya_angie

Final Flight
I think that this tour was a step down from last year. This year it seems liked there were too many props and not enough skating. I like the transition pieces, and Yagudin's Passion in the air is much better than on the ice, but it seems like the marketers are aiming for non-patrons, people who look at skating and go "Oooh pretty!" and think nothing more of it. At least that is how it seemed in the broadcast. When you see it live, you find a lot of things that are for patrons, like B&S's If I Could and Let Me Fall from last year. The 2003 broadcast was so terrible I didn't even go. The people they aim the broadcast (promotion) at are those who go for the sake of a name and title rather than a great skater. Example, I'd take Alexander Abt over Todd Eldredge any day (and I love them both).

This year's show just seems like it's an Ice Capades show, which is exactly the opposite of what the tour was meant to be.

My favorite show incidentally did not have a theme: 99-00 tour, where Kristi did Bridge Over Troubled Water, Bechke/Petrov did Czardas, Ilia did Baseball Cap, Katia did Ribbon, and they both did Casi Un Bolero with Roca/Sur and Meeno/Sand.

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I liked it more. The cast seems more cohesive now, the transitions worked very well and I thought the solo programs, with a few exceptions, were strong or had something good to offer. It worked as a whole and I liked it.

treeskater

Rinkside
The year Scott Hamilton did the spoof on the olympics was the last SOI that I really enjoyed seeing in person.