Ladies - Free Program - Comments | Golden Skate

Ladies - Free Program - Comments

Kara Bear

Final Flight
read it on another board, someone was watching it live on tv and she gave an interview stating so...but no links to back it up yet

anazetra

Spectator
Oh Michelle....

I really had hopes that michelle could come back and earn a medal. and now that i see the scores, i think, yup, i was right... she lost to carolina by less than a point with a program that was not perfect. so, the lesson here for michelle is.. every point counts. i'm not mad, as i thought i would be in this situation, just dissapointed that she didn't skate her best. i hope that she learns from this and comes back next year to skate the grand prix series just to get more familiar iwth the system and i hope that she has better music selection. i think that bolero did her in because the music sucks. really, michelle should not feel so bad about all of this, but should use this experience for next year and the olympics. She obvioulsy still has the capability to do be up with the best of them. she'll have all summer to work on the kinks in her skating and buff it up for the new system. had she landed her jumps she would have been a bronze for sure if not a silver. and with better music and fresh choreography, she's got just as good a chance as anyone for the gold medal. she should look at irina for insipiration...she too can come back.

congrats to the winners, and i'm glad to see that irina actually skated to win.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Congrats to Irina for the Gold. Very high PCS scores!!!

Congrats to Sasha for gutting it out and not splatting and repeating her Silver.

Good for Michelle for her third place in SP and LP.

Bad for Michelle for the second sub-par Q round in as many years and for having to dig herself out of a hole. And bad for the fall on the SALCHOW?!?. A step out, a double, anything that would have kept her from the deduction and given her the Bronze. Wake up Michelle and stop telling how you just want to have fun. Next year is the Olys and though there is no Q round to go through you do not have the luxery of playing ostrich all year. And one Nationals comp ain't gonna do it.

Now that I've ranted, I think unless Irina falls apart next year, Michelle is not going to be an Oly Goldie. And Sasha and the rest of the talented young skaters are going to have to wait until 2010. Of course, I'm usually wrong about everything but those are my rancid thoughts.

cutiepatutie

Rinkside
anazetra said:
I really had hopes that michelle could come back and earn a medal. and now that i see the scores, i think, yup, i was right... she lost to carolina by less than a point with a program that was not perfect. so, the lesson here for michelle is.. every point counts. i'm not mad, as i thought i would be in this situation, just dissapointed that she didn't skate her best. i hope that she learns from this and comes back next year to skate the grand prix series just to get more familiar iwth the system and i hope that she has better music selection. i think that bolero did her in because the music sucks. really, michelle should not feel so bad about all of this, but should use this experience for next year and the olympics. She obvioulsy still has the capability to do be up with the best of them. she'll have all summer to work on the kinks in her skating and buff it up for the new system. had she landed her jumps she would have been a bronze for sure if not a silver. and with better music and fresh choreography, she's got just as good a chance as anyone for the gold medal. she should look at irina for insipiration...she too can come back.

congrats to the winners, and i'm glad to see that irina actually skated to win.
Sorry to deflate your bubble but her jumps are not the only thing that held her down. She has a lot of work cut out for herself if she even hopes to make the Olympic team next year.

joeywong

Spectator
irina did 4 triple loops?

rosaleen's report said irina did 4 triple loops? huh? 3z3l, 3s3l2l, 3l, and 3l2l. Can anyone clarify this?

MarieM

On the Ice
I found both Sasha and Irina boring this afternoon.
Sasha's jumps are worse than ever, but Irina had wonderfull jumps and spins.
Michelle was IMHO the only one selling her program.

Glad that Caro won a medal. Thought the second half of her program just didn't work at all.

Sad for Joannie who was dissed by the judges, as well as Arakawa who had the most intricate program of all ! And was dissed for that ......
Love COP ..... :biggrin: :cool:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I think I was more nervous than they were....

;)

I thought Irina had the skate of her life. And for me anyway, it's SO exciting to see the winner win with that kind of skate. Good for her. I think she earned and deserved her win.

This was also a really good comp for Sasha IMO. She has such a problem with splats (and I know she had a couple of those too). But I also think I saw her HANG ON a few times where the old Sasha would have given up the element and gone splat. IMO that's exactly what she needs to improve - her ability to keep her concentration and if something goes wrong, HANG ON. I thought her programs were done more aggressively throughout the three phases than most. I hope this bodes well for her decision to go back to Nicks, and for next year.

And good for Carolina continuing to improve year over year.

Michelle. At least Bolero Two was light years better than Bolero One. But I think if she wants to be a gold medal contender at the Oly's she has GOT to get to work on some actual choreography. I'm sure she's kicking herself over that 1.00 costly fall.... but at this stage in her career I sort of think medaling or not medaling by such a small margin isn't even the issue for her. If she stays in the game, I'm sure she wants to be a gold contender, not a bronze contender.

Gwendal (via Eurosport audio) made an interesting observation that I agree with. He commented that since the inception of COP, there are a number of Men who have really upped the ante in terms of non-jump technical content as well as interesting music choices, choreo, and interpretation. Generally in the field of top ladies, we really haven't seen as much of that, with the possible exception of Irina. (especially the way she skated today) I too would love to see more interesting music choices, and WAY more interesting choreo and interpretation to go along with the elements.

It's going to be a fun day debating what just happened I think!!

DG

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Well I'm hoping this will be a BIG lesson learned for Michelle... Ms Kwan, the Queen of the 6.0 and now Irina S the Queen of the COP.. Ms Kwan still was 3rd in the SP and the LP. I hope that MK does the Grand Prix Series next year.. She definately needs to experiement and learn more from the COP judging. MK still has the passion, Irina can still lift her leg over her head again, and again, and again..lol Sasha is a combo of both. Next year will be interesting for all. Who will be the next Oly gold medalist? After MK and Irina retire and go pro..what will be left of ladies FS? Will we still want to watch?

Lucy25

Final Flight
I think it will be interesting to see the headlines for this one...
1. Slutskya coming back to win from her 9th place finish last year and her illness
2. Kwan off the podium for the first time since 1995 (or '96?)
3. Italian teenager takes a surprise bronze

I think Sasha is going to get screwed by the media again. Despite landing seven triples, several were not landed very well, and I think that's all the media will see. Hopefully I am wrong.

Glad to hear Michelle landed the 3/2/2 plus two other combinations!