Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!! | Golden Skate

Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!!

WOW!

Match Penalty
I thought Carolina Kostner's skated good, but not very performing worthy. :)

76olympics

On the Ice
This is a spoiler for some

This should probably be moved to the Worlds section as some may be waiting on the TV coverage tonight..

lavender

Record Breaker
This should be move to spoilers but skating's not about the whole performance anymore. It's about points unfortunately.

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
lavender said:
This should be move to spoilers but skating's not about the whole performance anymore. It's about points unfortunately.

that's unfortunate? finally skaters are being rewarded for what they do, not just staying on their feet?

anniemg

Rinkside
No way should Kwan had won bronze. Carolina may not have the best presentation, but Michelle's program lacks choreography and content. And she fell.

lavender

Record Breaker
Michelle still beat Carolina's program even with the fall and no choreography. She screwed herself in the qual round.

R.D.

Record Breaker
This really needs to be moved to the Worlds forum, so that more people don't get spoiled...:mad:

kyla2

Final Flight
Ita

After watching Carolina skate, I tend to agree. Carolina made her share of mistakes and her presentation needs work.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
No way should Kwan had won bronze. Carolina may not have the best presentation, but Michelle's program lacks choreography and content. And she fell.

Aside from placement, Jeff Buttle fell twice and still held on to second. Seems you CAN splat several times and still come up smelling like a rose. (No slam of Jeff's skating, I like his style, just using him as an example.) 42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Please remember that there are THREE phases of competition, and each phase counts towards the final points total. Michelle landed only 4 triples in the LP and was only in 7th place after the Qualifying Round. In the LP Carolina landed a 3/3/2 combo in addition to many other triples.

Also, Michelle did fall and Carolina did not.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
I must disagree with you. I thought Kwan hanging onto fourth was quite generous given her general level of skating throughout the three phases of the competition. In addition, I thought Kostner should actually have won the short program, giving her a wider margin over Kwan. Kostner and Kwan both had okay skates in the long, but I would give it to Kostner over Kwan on speed, and quality of jumps landed. Kwan looked cautious and did not have her usual zing in the long. And by the way, I'm a big Kwan fan who hopes she steps it up next year, starting with ditching Bolero.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I don't think you have to worry about whether or not she will ditch "Bolero" because she just told Christine Brennan in her interview that she needs to talk to a lot of people and get started on a new program.

RealtorGal said:
I don't think you have to worry about whether or not she will ditch "Bolero" because she just told Christine Brennan in her interview that she needs to talk to a lot of people and get started on a new program.
*Whew*

Kuchana

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:

Thank God! I was worrying myself silly about her keeping it. Link please?

Vash01

Medalist
Kostner was overmarked last year, and again this year. However, this year it was not as blatant as last year. I think she earned a lot of points for the 3f-3t-2t combo at first. The quality of her skating is still juniorish and Michelle did score more than her in the lp but came away short of the final placement. Had Michelle not fallen on the 3sal she would have easily beaten Carolina.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I tend to agree Kwan should have been third. Before seeing the competition I was not so sure. However Kostner's fall did it for me. Yes I know they both fell before you come tearing me to shreds. I just with Michelle held that darn spiral longer.