I'm confused! Please help. | Golden Skate

I'm confused! Please help.

Melody

Rinkside
Hi, all!

I am confused as to how many women Canada will be able to send to the Worlds and Olys next year. Most people here on the board are saying one, but my understanding was that Cynthia would have 16 points and Joannie 11 points, which would mean a total of 27 points and therefore 2 women could go. Canadian commentators also indicated 2 women.

Can anyone confirm exactly which is correct?

Thanks,

Melody

bleuchick

On the Ice
No Mpal is incorrect and Barb/Paul are correct. Because of Joannie overall rank...we barely made it to send 2 ladies.

Last edited:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
mpal2 said:
I thought that they couldn't go over a total of 28. The final placements of the Canadian ladies are 11 and 20 making it a total of 31.

http://www.isufs.org/results/wc2005/CAT002RS.HTM

see p. 55

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-160823-178038-80283-0-file,00.pdf
It is a bit confusing, but you need to look at Page 54, Rule 378, 2b. It states that skaters who qualified for the free skate but did not place higher than 16th will get 16 points. Even though Cynthia finished in 20th place, she gets 16 points to count towards placements for next year. Add 11 for Joannie's 11th place finish gives a total of 27 points. If Joannie had finished in 13th place, then the combined total would have been 29 - and only one Canadian lady would have qualified for Olympics and Worlds next year.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Well, isn't Phaneuf lucky with those rules? I had understood it simply placings adding up to 28. She needs a serious confidence overhaul if she wants to go to Olympics.

Melody

Rinkside
Thank you all for the clarification. I'm just glad that we do get to send two ladies.

Regards,
Melody

mpal2

Final Flight
Thanks, I just thought it was placements as well. They don't make this an easy sport to understand do they? :p