U.S. Soldiers | Golden Skate

U.S. Soldiers

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm so glad that some people realize that our troops are still in Iraq.

My friend's husband (they married in October and had their 1st child in February) is an army reservist. He was activated in January - just after they finished moving all her stuff from Long Island to Westchester County. They had to move her back to LI (to be close to family) and get him ready for deployment within 2 weeks time. Fortunately, he was still in the States when their daughter was born on Feb 23rd. He was deployed to Kuwait on Easter Sunday - wasn't able to hold his daughter because of smallpox vaccine. In May, he was sent from Kuwait to Iraq. He's not in Bagdhad, but no where is safe in Iraq at present.

Everytime I hear of another US serviceman's death in Iraq, my 1st thought is immediately for my friend and hope that it is not her husband. He's expected back in November - hope he gets to celebrate his daughter's 1st Holiday season.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I think that it is important to remember our troops everyday. I listen to public radio most of the time, and it is heartbreaking to hear on an almost daily basis that more lives have been lost. I have not lived through a major war like WWII or Vietnam....I cannot imagine how catastrophic those losses must have been. Thank you to all of our troops, past and present.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Having lived through every one since WW2 I can tell you that it never gets easier to hear of those killed or wounded and the families they have. It just tears you up inside. I was 12 when WW2 started which starts you off as never feeling safe. Especially scary were the blackouts. Grampa was a watchman in town and had to make sure no one had any lights on. Even on the farm we weren't supposed to have any lights on. Everyone covered up all their windows so it wouldn't shine through. Of course, on the farm, we had no electricity - only lamps- so there wasn't much to shine anyway. But you did need a flashlight to go to the outhouse. !!!:p