How Rude.... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How Rude....

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
THANK YOU! I'm so glad someone brought this up. I don't think we can blame Kimmie for it becase hey, she was just kind of there and answering the questions that were put to her--and if memory served, she even tried to focus the attention back on Ando a few times. I found it really irritating to try and pay attentioin to the program with a side interview going on under the music though :mad:

And the sport center scores aren't so bad, except as has already been mentioned for the sound that goes with it. Get rid of that and I wouldn't have a problem.

And as for the wrestling...I happen to be a huge fan of wrestling myself and was watching that competition before skating came on. And let me tell you I would have been a mite pissed if they had cut the coverage short! I like skating more than wrestling, but I was really into that competition and if I hadn't been able to see the end, ESPN would have gotten a rather strongly worded letter :) I'd feel the same way no matter what sport we're talking about though, really. Everyone should be allowed to fully enjoy the sport that they want to watch.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I thought that Kimmie was brought along as a kind of consolation prize because she was too young to be on the world team.

Thank you Mathman. You will be happy to know that I did not burn any sofas last night.

mzheng

Record Breaker
They will destroy the girl in no time. Anyone think Kimmie's 4th place finish at JWC had anything to do with her post National hype? I think so.

Vash01

Medalist
mzheng said:
They will destroy the girl in no time. Anyone think Kimmie's 4th place finish at JWC had anything to do with her post National hype? I think so.

I agree. She had a very nice skate at the US Nationals, but all the hype surrounding it (particularly the triple axel, which IMO she did not really complete- but that's another topic) must have put additional pressure on her at Jr.Worlds. Now espn is trying to promote her for next year by inviting her for an interview DURING a skate of another skater, and yet another program with Paul Wylie next Sunday for 'behind the scenes' coverage is really getting out of control. If I were Kimmie's parent, I would say, ENOUGH.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
STL_Blues_fan said:
I can't blame them for finishing up wrestling..after all if it was the other way around, you wouldn't want FS coverage to be cut-off at 7;30pm?? As far as the bottom line feature, it's always on at 28 and 58 min past the hour, and again I wouldn't expect for them to turn it off "b/c FS fans are not March Madness followers", but the little "ding dong" sound has to go! I hated when it would interfere with the music.

What I found very rude is lack of D&S coverage! Even a mention of what a great skate they had would've been lovely! Since it was considered by some the best dance of the night, you would think that would buy them some TV time..but no! I am getting sick and tired of these stupid, repeated fluff pieces when we would much rahter see another team.

Oh well...that's my rant for the night!

Yana

Although I was upset about the wrestling initially, I saw that it did not cut short the FS program. Plus I see that there are wrestling fans that would have really liked to see the whole match. So no problem there. Today, however, they were showing basket ball games that were obviously over- like 25 points difference with less than one minute left. Those did not have to be 'finished'. They were already over.

I would have liked to see more skaters, in all disciplines. There were way too many fluff pieces. Some of them are quite nice, and I like to know a little more about the skaters, but I would take a few more skating programs any day.

Vash

JOHIO2

Medalist
I am TRULY glad to hear that I wasn't the only person insulted by the disrespect shown Miki by the interview of Kimmie. What really burns...until AFTER her scores were posted, Miki was in medal contention. So, does that mean they would have to show her skate again, without Kimmie?

And Vash, I too wondered why we had to sit through 15 minutes of the ending of bb games that weren't even close. March Madness, indeed.

Furthermore, if I have to see Tatiana kiss the ice one more time, I may find a baseball bat and attack the morons who think we need to see it again and again and again. We saw it. Over and out.

Kuchana

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I can see that the non-fans out there do not fully appreciate this item. This is huge. Wake Forest was one of the tournament favorites, with some predicting they could go all the way. Ha ha , Wake UP, you mean! Go Mountaineers!

Go Michigan State Ladies! (I mean women.)

MM

I beg to digress since I am a huge college men's bball fan!! :) GO HEELS!!! :biggrin:

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
It was appalling that this interview was conducted during a competitor's skate, and what's worse, I believe it was done as a shameless, ill-timed plug for their "All Access Show".

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Although I was upset about the wrestling initially, I saw that it did not cut short the FS program. Plus I see that there are wrestling fans that would have really liked to see the whole match. So no problem there. Today, however, they were showing basket ball games that were obviously over- like 25 points difference with less than one minute left. Those did not have to be 'finished'. They were already over.

Vash

:laugh: Look at it this way ~ would you be upset if ESPN cut off 25 minutes of skating competition because the slam dunk competition was coming on? NCAA is a big deal, just like figure skating. And just like in figure skating, the teams deserve the respect to finish their game. Exhibitions should not be placed higher than actual competition.

KW

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
RealtorGal said:
:p That was definitely rude. Also rude was those running basketball scores at the bottom of the screen. Do figure skating fans really give a rat's heiny about basketball scores??? :p

uh...i have to say on thursday, when i was torn between mens final and the duke game, i was THRILLED to have the results rolling...

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I actually swore in disgust at what happened during Ando's SP! I'm not the biggest fan of this skater, but everyone deserves their turn, and I thought that interviewing Meissner during the entire SP was one of the rudest and most ill-timed things I've seen. :unsure: :sheesh:

I remember reading that ESPN actually paid for the trip to Moscow for Meissner and her parents. There has been such a large to-do over the young lady since she attempted the triple axel at Nationals (I'm of the opinion that it was a good *attempt* but underrotated and shouldn't have been ratified but oh well) - I think it is very detrimental to Meissner herself and in this case to other skaters who deserve their time and their turn. I'm afraid that the hype will continue - I wondered where ESPN would get a return on sending Meissner to Worlds, and I think we've seen it in instances like this, and she will also be featured on that "All-access" show next week. ;)

I'm resigned to the fact that while skating is on ESPN they will scroll the results across the bottom of the screen. I console myself with the fact that at least we do still have skating coverage for a major event like this stateside! :disapp: :eek:hwell: