Worlds: Best & Worst | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Worlds: Best & Worst

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
The worst for me had to be that Michelle took those arms out of her short program. The ones she did right after the lutz and on the landing of the flip at Nationals were just so powerful, I was sad to see that she had taken them out.

To me, the most poignant was Michelle's exhibition number. Granted it only had 2 triples and a double Axel, but I couldn't help wondering how it would score under the new judging system.

MM

emma

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
To me, the most poignant was Michelle's exhibition number. Granted it only had 2 triples and a double Axel, but I couldn't help wondering how it would score under the new judging system.

MM

It was definitely a program with choreography and that classic Michelle 'pull you in' to the moment. I wonder too what kind of scores that program (or type of program) would generate, and I also wonder why some of the beautiful coreography and mitf weren't in the LP. I'm only learning to skate, so i'm asking this sincerely, is it really just that hard to put these kinds of elements between jumps (right now EVERYTHING is hard for me, so i'm asking sincerely). But, it was, along with all of the exhibition numbers I got to see on ESPN, truly a high spot of this years Worlds.

I will agree with hockeyfan 99 per cent of her take on the skating. the only thing that bothered me was the skinny seats in the arena. Moscow was fine and I enjoyed my stay.

What I want to see at the Olys: Jamal Othman, who I am sure will not be in the last 6 to skate. Similarly, Yon Liu of China. The Munanas dance team of Mexico, the exquisite German Pairs team. Not sure any of the will be shown on American TV unless miracles happen.

I've got to figure out how to see figure skating in its entirety for the Olys without being there.

Joe

tdnuva

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
What I want to see at the Olys: (..) the exquisite German Pairs team. Not sure any of the will be shown on American TV unless miracles happen.

You need TWO miracles for that. Besides the American tv problem - Aliona needs a German passport first.......

Vash01

Medalist
Kwanford Wife said:
This has been the STRANGEST worlds I can ever remember... So that is the top of my list of BEST... I love drama

Here are the rest...
Irina having the skate of her life in front of her home crowd. I don't care if she's seen as milking her illness or being a meanie when the camaras are off... She deserved this medal. :rock:

Sasha having a good competition. Still not a believer but I did enjoy her performance last night. Good for her.

Michelle for finishing 4th. Sounds strange from an uber, but I remember when she had that awesome season in 01 only to loose focus during the Olympic season. Glad she's got a fierce reason to compete next year. :yes:

MK's expression while talking to Christine B after the long. You never see her composure break but the question about "Can you win under CoP" and the pi&&y look on MK's face @ the question ~ made me laugh. :rofl:

Fumie for proving her federation totally wrong :rock:

Men's podium - Now there's something you don't see often in FS... shake ups at the top

T/M - Great job

N/K - Not a big ice dancing person, but I enjoyed their long. Plus her little girl in the crowd screaming "Mommy!" how cute.

Reading the educational, entertaining, silly, hypocritical and angst ridden posts on-line ;) :laugh:

Having a reason to look forward to next year :agree:

Worse

No Dick B. It just lost the "specialness" and became a regular ol' event without him... :cry:

ESPN coverage :mad:

Joubert, Timmy, Sandu ~ Guys! Get your heads out of your butt!

Withdrawls ~ I watch pairs BECAUSE of S/Z... That sucked. :cry:

Miki Ando - Please. That Charlott was terrible. Sweetie if you can't do it, don't.

We finally get a decent showing in ice dancing, but can't really use them... its like becoming a vegitarian right after cooking a perfect pot roast. The waste. :mad:

Hearing about Irina not having any money. Please. Save the propaganda. The next thing you know, we will start getting pleas for the Irina is Poor foundation. Not buying it...

Kwanford Wife

You sound bitter about Irina's win. Commentators try to sell a story. How is Irina milking her story? Put the blame where it belongs.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
You sound bitter about Irina's win. Commentators try to sell a story. How is Irina milking her story? Put the blame where it belongs.

Huh? I'm not bitter about Irina's win. Quite the contrary... I'm bitter about the whole "Oh! Look at the poor, sickly Russian girl! She's really poor!" thing the commentators were obsessed with. Its beneth her & the commentators should give her the respect she deserves.

KW

Vash01

Medalist
I have not heard "the poor sickly girl" from the commentators. They have presented the fact that she has had vasculitis- it is a serious illness-, the other problems in her life, and how she overcame the adversity. If at all anything, they have spoken highly of her for what she achieved this year. It is an inspiring story. It could get boring to someone who watches FS a lot (like many of us) but I don't see it as anyone milking her story. There have been much worse cases of undeserved attention to skaters and stories by the media and sometimes even by skaters (still, usually it's the former).

Vash

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I love Irina, she IS very inspiring.

HOWEVER... the commentators DID milk it at every single opportunity they had. Scrimping and saving for her mother's transplant... Yup, they milked it good.

Not that there's really anything WRONG with that...

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
I have not heard "the poor sickly girl" from the commentators. They have presented the fact that she has had vasculitis- it is a serious illness-, the other problems in her life, and how she overcame the adversity. If at all anything, they have spoken highly of her for what she achieved this year. It is an inspiring story. It could get boring to someone who watches FS a lot (like many of us) but I don't see it as anyone milking her story. There have been much worse cases of undeserved attention to skaters and stories by the media and sometimes even by skaters (still, usually it's the former).

Vash

Let's just agree to disagree... You found it inspiring, I found it disrespectful. Its just a matter of opinion & taste.

Kwanford Wife

Ya don't get these comments at live skating events, but you do get fan comments and the hair raising rumors. Yet, when watching my tapes, and listening to Gannon go on and on about Irina's illness and her mother, it did get tiring.

The bottom line though, is Irina did skate the best that night deserved the gold.

It's a bit early to predict but I think Sasha has a good crack at getting the gold in Turin. However, what will be it like to see Carolina a year later as the hometown girl?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's a bit early to predict but I think Sasha has a good crack at getting the gold in Turin. However, what will be it like to see Carolina a year later as the hometown girl?

I won't even start predicting for the olympics because lately they've been the most unpredictable event. I think Cohen might have a shot at a medal but not gold. IMO of course.