Canada Can Take Some Credit For American Ice Dance Medal..... | Golden Skate

Canada Can Take Some Credit For American Ice Dance Medal.....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Everyone seems to forget that Tanith Belbin is still a Canadian citizen. As our commentator put it:: The American ice dance team of Belbin and Agusto, with a Canadian connection. So congratulations to the international duo of Belbin and Agusto!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
Everyone seems to forget that Tanith Belbin is still a Canadian citizen. As our commentator put it:: The American ice dance team of Belbin and Agusto, with a Canadian connection. So congratulations to the international duo of Belbin and Agusto!

You obviously haven't heard the US TV coverage...they mention at least twice during any ice dance coverage that Tanith is Canadian, that's why she doesn't have the citizenship so they could go to Olympics!

I think alot of credit should go to their Russian-born coach, Igor Shpilband, who matched them together and developed this team. But we are very grateful for Tanith's decision to skate for US, and not for Canada :) So...thank you Canada!

Yana

Dyan

On the Ice
This is my first post on Golden Skate though I've been lurker for awhile....

And I will use my first post to request that Canada send the U.S. some more skaters. One or two of your pair teams would be sufficient.

Thank you. :biggrin:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Russia can take some credit too, due to Shpilband and Zueva.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Can Canada take credit.......

That's an interesting concept. Perhaps the U.S. should take credit for all the foreign skaters who train in the U.S.???

Dizzy

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
dizzydi7 said:
That's an interesting concept. Perhaps the U.S. should take credit for all the foreign skaters who train in the U.S.???

Dizzy

:laugh: It would be very American of us!!!! Plus, then we might be able to fill those three spots for the Olympics!

Kwanford Wife

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Yes!!!!

Dyan said:
This is my first post on Golden Skate though I've been lurker for awhile....

And I will use my first post to request that Canada send the U.S. some more skaters. One or two of your pair teams would be sufficient.

Thank you. :biggrin:

Canada, we BEG you to send us some pairs. And we promise to share the credit, and also throw a North American All Inclusive Victory Party when one of them gets into the top six at World's.

:rofl:

DG

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Personally, I think this Olympic requirement for citizenship is outdated. I see no reason for anyone to change their citizenship just to appear in the Olympics. What would it matter if, in the example of Belbin & Agosto, they were to appear & win the silver medal & the medal count would show that Canada had 1/2 a silver & the US had 1/2 a silver? So, the US instead of having a score board showing 3 golds, 5 silvers & 1 bronze would show:3 golds, 4 1/2 silvers & 1 bronze. It wouldn't upset me as an American that "we" lost 1/2 of a medal.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Just curious...what was Tanith's skating history beforing teaming up with Agosto? How did she do on the Canadian circuit and who did she partner with? TIA.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Sk8n Mama said:
Just curious...what was Tanith's skating history beforing teaming up with Agosto? How did she do on the Canadian circuit and who did she partner with? TIA.

According to the Crystal Report, Tanith skated in Canada with Liam Dougherty (CAN) and later Ben Barruco (CAN - pairs).

Belbin was a Canadian ice dancer who started to skate pairs, because her coach believed it would make her stronger. In 1998, Belbin changed disciplines again and moved to Detroit. There, she teamed up with Agosto.

http://www.isufs.org/bios/isufs00004499.htm

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Canada, we BEG you to send us some pairs. And we promise to share the credit, and also throw a North American All Inclusive Victory Party when one of them gets into the top six at World's.

:rofl:

DG

Or at the very least, Canada, we would LOVE to know how you guys can consistently put together two people and have them look world-class and competitive in 2 years or less, whereas here we have pairs who have been together 3 years or longer and they still look like they just met 2 days earlier.....

Linny

Final Flight
Stay together

Would be nice if we could just get two people, from wherever, to stay together long enough to learn the discipline!
Linny

nicole_l

Final Flight
From what I've heard, Tanith was so good when she was like 8 that no one that she could have partnered with would have been able to keep up. So, she switched to pairs for a couple of years, then switched back to dance. Also, B&A didn't compete for an entire season when they first teamed up, which was probably a good idea.