Hail the King of Can-ada

T

The Real Blueboy

Re: Hail the King of Can-ada

that has to be my favorite spin.

D

Dee4707

Thanks Rgirl181, I love Emmanuel too. I just wish he was more consistent. Love the position in the spin.

Dee

B

Bleuchick

rgirl - I got some news for you. Apparently some skating fans are not happy with his *look*. I mean his face paint or make up. The LP is Quidam Slow and Sassy taken from the Cirque de Soleil soundtrack. He wears alot of make up that is orange and kind of look like a sunburnt skier or snowboarder who forgot to wear sunscreen!!

So the talk on the street is his sexual orientation rather than skating. Unfortunately, that spin does not help him right now.

T

The Real Blueboy

a lot of male skaters have their sexual orientations questioned just for being involved with the sport. as naive as i am, i don't think it should be a factor in how good his actual skating is (when he's on).

[how does that spin "not help him right now?" is the spin unflattering to his sexual orientation? what does the word on the street have any relevence to what he puts on the ice?]

B

Bleuchick

The Real Blueboy wrote:

[how does that spin "not help him right now?" is the spin unflattering to his sexual orientation?

it just give people another opportunity to discuss his sexual orientation.

what does the word on the street have any relevence to what he puts on the ice?

my point to begin with. You see there was a bit of a debate about his 1st place. Some people thought Fedor or Buttle should have won because they did skated better than him. Even Debbie Wilkes on the tsn website and his coach defended him at the press conference. I expected to read threads after threads about Eman's win not the gazillion threads about his make up and sexual orientation.

F

FetalAttraction

That spin helps him lots. They're talking about his boinking habits instead of his allegedly undeserved victory. It means people are treating him like a celebrity instead of a fluke. Go Sandhu, shake that face paint off between your legs!

P.S., I want to do horrible things to this picture in Photoshop. Feel free to give me suggestions.

L

LADSKATER

Poor Emanuel. It really is a great spin - unfortunately the media keeps capturing him in this "ungainly" position. I have also seen other skaters executing this spin as well. Male skaters have more innovative spins these days.

Let's keep our imaginations to ourselves and treat Emanuel with respect - as we would any other skater. He is The Canadian mens' champion.

Ladskater

R

rgirl181

Well I got news for you guys. This is a goof! Not being in Canada, and thus having been deprived of seeing Canadians, I was not aware of any make-up controversy. I was aware of people talking about Emmanual's overt outness, but what else is new? This continues to happen as gay male figure skaters become more open about their sexuality. But I just thought the photo was <strong>funny</strong>. I can't believe I'm explaining this, but "Hail the King of <em>Can</em>-ada" was a reference to the prominence of Eman's "can" in the photo. I would have posted it no matter who it was.

That's the last time I try to be UNcontroversial:lol:
Rgirl

S

SHINE2002

Ladskater,
Since you live in BC too, do you know if Eman is still training at Burnaby's 8-Rinks?

D

DORISPULASKI

rgirl, If you hadn't posted it, I would have.

It reminds me of the Christmas cartoon titled when the elves won the lottery

(they all moon Santa Claus from exactly that position)

It's a difficult spin, but there is no way that you are not
going to get photographed in that position. He should lose it.

dpp

R

rgirl181

dpp,
Re the elves mooning Santa cartoon--<span style="color:red;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:medium;">That's the spirit!</span>:lol:

You definitely get it, but of course that's no surprise:smokin:
Rgirl

K

Kara Bear

I love this spin. He was the first do it and now other skaters are copying him. It kind of sets him apart and I think he should continue using it. But like Sasja's Beaver Cleaver, it is going to be captured in funny positions by cameras. Maybe we should have a contest to give this spin a name too.

F

FetalAttraction

Kara that's a great idea!

J

Joesitz

The rivalry between Buttle and him continues. I haven't made up my mind who is the better. I don't think I have to. They are both exceptional skaters but both with a weakness for tanking out. Hope they don't in future.

Joe

S

Sk8Harvest

I love the way he skates (when he's on), but whenever Emanual does that butt spin, it makes me laugh.

R

rgirl181

Re: Eman's Can-Can Spin Not First

dpp,
Thanks for "The Elves Win" link. :rollin: I'm going to use it for my Christmas email:D

Re Eman being the "first skater to do this spin": The first skater I saw do the butt spin was Swiss skater Nathalie Krieg at the '94 Olympics. She was a super spinner with great flexibility and amazing positions, but no jumps, sort of like Lucinda Ruh but not nearly the kind of all-around skater Ruh is. And who knows if somebody else might have done it before Nathalie? Eman certainly has brought the most attention to it, however.
Rgirl