Exhibitions | Golden Skate

Exhibitions

My favorite part of the competition; wasn't that a nice show?

My favorite performances: Michelle :love:, of course. She skates with such heart, such perfection. I think the key to Michelle's popularity is that she always shows great respect for the audiences, doing her utmost to match their expectations of a five-time World Champion.

Jeff Buttle! Is he out there, or what?! Now that's what I call choreography!

Sasha. A different look, nicely skated.

Lambiel. Came out and nailed a quad. What can I say?

Fumie. Lovely performance, as usual. I hope she will be on COI this year. I have to say that my favorite program of the competition was Fumie's short. Lori Nichol outdid herself, despite the restrictions of the CoP.

Li!!!! A comic routine, great stretch for him. It gave him a chance to show his personality.

I feel a lot better now, LOL.

Mathman

Last edited:

kareliz

Rinkside
Mathman, I can always count on you to share your love and admiration for Michelle with simplicity and clarity. I watched her and just thought, no one touches her. She may not have the highest jumps and the fastest spins, she may not be able to win under COP, but no one has the smooth elegance, the musicality and the ability to touch my heart. That can't be quantified.

Jeff!!!!! That Ave Maria was stunning! His short was also great. Who is his choreographer and can we get that person to do Michelle's programs for next year?

ESPN didn't show Fumie or Li.

Johnny is beautfiul.

Those are the stand outs for me.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
For me, as a Russian born American, the highlight of the night was watching Johnny Weir skate to one of my favorite Russian songs. I absolutely adore his style of skating, and the music was not just an icing, but the whole cake :)

It was also great to see Irina, and both pairs peform to Russian music. I only imagine how great it felt for them to medal on home ice at the Worlds and then being able to skate to their own language in the exhibition (and it's always nice when your name is pronounced correctly!).

Stephane was great, and so was Michelle. I loved that dress.

I liked Tanith and Ben's Green Acres number, but I have to agree with Peggy, that "they need some serious explanation to do" to the crowd. Considering that the Roma theme was tailored for the location of the worlds, couldn't they come up with something neutral for the exhibitions? Green Acres is something that even my British husband never heard of.

My mini rant...was the repeatition of all of these fluff segments really so important??? We already know that Sasha loves shopping and Tatiana loves to drive fast! I would've much rather see Fumie.

Yana

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My favorite performances: Michelle , of course. She skates with such heart, such perfection. I think the key to Michelle's popularity is that she always shows great respect for the audiences, doing her utmost to match their expectations of a five-time World Champion.

I think the song selection is just perfect for her.

screech

Final Flight
kareliz said:
Jeff!!!!! That Ave Maria was stunning! His short was also great. Who is his choreographer and can we get that person to do Michelle's programs for next year?

Jeff's choreographer is David Wilson who works out of Toronto. He also choreographs for Joannie Rochette and Cynthia Phaneuf. And I agree, Ave Maria is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

My highlights:
Jeff
Sasha
Stephane

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Oh boy, I really loved Lyacheck's program. I was really disgusted with the camera work that only showed his top half most of the time. Can't they get it into their heads that this is FIGURE SKATING?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Loved it :clap: All the skaters were so genuine and appreciative of the audience. It was nice to see the Russians so responsive. It was a real "love fest" :love: for them and their skaters. What a difference from the old Russian Federation. As Barb said "They did not know what to expect and were pleasantly surprised by the warmth extended to other countries by the Russian people."

Well done Russia :clap: :clap:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Jeffrey Buttle's "Ave Maria" was my best exhibition performance.

Sasha Cohen's "Rain on my Parade" by Barbra Streisand was my 2nd

and

Michelle Kwan's "Raise me up" by Josh Groban was my 3rd choice

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Notice that all the Russian skaters skated to Russian Music.

I think that Irina Slutskaya's exhibition to that Russian Pop Music song was the best....I like to know the song title and artist

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
No they didn't. Navka and Kostomarov skated to Michael Jackson medley. I would've liked to see the other Russian pair.

Yana

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
No they didn't. Navka and Kostomarov skated to Michael Jackson medley. I would've liked to see the other Russian pair.

Yana

Oh yeah, I remember now. N/K had a really fun time out there.

cianni

On the Ice
Great show

The show was great. The Russian music I loved. Michelle and Wier move me like no others such grace and beauty now thats Ice Skating. Irinas skate was perfect for her loved it. Great fun to watch.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
What was up with Sasha's 'Don't Rain on My Parade' program? Yes, it sure suits her feisty personality...but, huh, wasn't she (up til then) striving to show what a dainty little 'Russian cultured' gal she is? I guess that once the competition was over, she showed that she's not a Russian Doll after all but an all-American Fanny Brice on skates! Bravo! :clap: :rock:

emma

Record Breaker
the exhibition was great!

i agree with MM who started this....and everyone else too.....I just had to add my OH MY GOD Ave Maria was amazing.. whatever happens to Buttle in the future, (and here's to wishing him a great season next year) I will forever appreciate his choreo/interpretation and line, wow, wow, wow. And, I saw the Lambiel quad and actually convinced myself it couldn't have been...no, not in exhibition...wow! I won't even get into his spins...to die for! And just one more for the men...Weir, love him, period.

And, I absolutely can't stand that 'you raise me up song' for some reason, but my god when Michelle skates to it I actually feel raised up, it's like everything else just stops and I get so drawn into to her skate....she's amazing, truly one of a kind. (can i say do spread eagles and hydro planes and other MITF in long program next year...??? i would lover her if the answer is no too)

I wish ESPN had showed the others...Li doing comedy, what?? I gotta see that.
Costner's program was really nice too...I heard the commentators mentioning that she skates so fast she can outskate men...I wish we could appreciate the speed on tv, for now I'll just try to imagine that.

eliza88

On the Ice
I loved the exhibitions! My favorites were Weir, Buttle, and Michelle! I think I have already rewatched each of these 3 times! Johnny--beautiful skate and amazing music! Buttle--never heard an upbeat Ave Maria but wowie this guy is such an original and amazing skater! (I have been saying all weekend to my husband Michelle should use Buttle's choreographer and really milk the MITF! They have the same coach now--why not the same choreographer?). Michelle's skate was so incredibly smooth and wonderful--of course it had me screaming at the TV, "Why didn't you put this choreography/passion/MITF into your LP? Oh, also loved Lambiel's program! Just amazing spins.

I really enjoyed all the Russian music. P/T skate was great fun! Why don't they skate their competitive programs with such personality?

About Belbin/Agosto's skate--many times skaters use the exhibition programs they toured with the previous year and wait till after World's to make a new program. Guessing that is what happened to B/A.

I didn't like Irina's exhibition at all. I liked the music, just not the skate.

eliza88

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I am so in love with Weir's skating style. He's fabulous. I like Buttle's style but didn't care for that recording of "Ave Maria". Great choreography, tho. I enjoyed Lambiel & Lysacek, as well.

Jill

On the Ice
I LOVED the Russian music, too! In fact that was my favorite part of these worlds, hearing their music and seeing them skate to it. God bless Johnny Weir for choosing music that the crowd who paid to see the show, would actually enjoy. :clap:
Think about it, when the worlds come to US, the skaters usually choose American music. Why not do the same when we go there?

On the other hand, I guess Navka/Kostomarov haven't heard about the Jocko trials. :laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I loved Irina's program. I was so into it, but then Peggy's pointless comments returned me back to reality...

Saundy

On the Ice
I also agree that Jeff Buttle's "Ave Maria" was beautiful. I read that he was using a sort of techno beat Ave Maria, so I was curious to see it. I think he has THE best choreography in the world today. :clap:
I also agree that Michelle Kwan should go to David Wilson for her choreography. He is an amazing choreographer and I think that he could really create some beautiful programs for her. I found her programs this year to be the same as always and at times...a little boring... :disapp:
I'm curious as to see what happens next year! Should be a good Olympic year!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Fumie. Lovely performance, as usual. I hope she will be on COI this year. I have to say that my favorite program of the competition was Fumie's short. Lori Nichol outdid herself, despite the restrictions of the CoP.

Li!!!! A comic routine, great stretch for him. It gave him a chance to show his personality.
Mathmann how did you get to see Fumie and Li?!! They didn't show them on my TV.