Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dance Ladies Make-up

Custom Title

Dance Ladies Make-up

Why do the many of the ladies wear such garish makup?

Of the two items that bother me most about ice dancing is the make-up and the whipping hair. I am glad that some ladies are pinning their hair behind their ears now.

I remember each time Naomi Lang finished a routine she smiled and waved with a giant glob of hair in her mouth. Yuck.

Custom Title
    The makeup looks garish b/c it's meant for the audience to see and not for TV. It's a stretch here but I think they might also do it to emphasize their facial expressions. If they're contorting their mouths to the music it helps if the judges can see their mouths.

It can also be a trend of bad taste. A lot of the junior skaters are wearing headbands a la Navka. Navka also wears heavy makeup as well so maybe the ladies seek to emulate that winning look.

[CENTER]When I saw the title of this thread, the first thought that came to me was, "Gee, I didn't even know they were fighting." [/CENTER]

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    LOL@IDLERacer

I only really think Tatiana Navka and Albena Denkova wear too much for my taste. I saw Tatiana applying make-up to Roman, once.

I hardly recognized Tatiana Navka in the fluff piece without her heavy makeup on! She looked so much younger!

Hmm. Melissa Gregory is 23, fergawdsakes. So why does she look 45? It's gotta be the makeup - why??

But it's not just the dance ladies.....why was the lovely teenaged Viktoria Pavuk made up to look like a 50 something hooker this year?

it's hideous! what gives?

k.

Banned
    This is the funniest thread! But I think they shouldn't wear make-up in my honest opinion. But maybe the younger girls, like Pavuk want to look more mature. But 54 yikes!!!!!!! I think Navka does look better w/o makeup, but it's her trademark to wear too much of it. I mean can you take Evgeni Plushenko from his mullet do?

Custom Title
    I like a lot of make up! I thought Tatiana Navka looked gorgeous with her makeup on, and nothing special without it. Speaking of Tatiana, am I the only one who notices the strong resemblance to Maia Usova? I thing she could pass for Maia's younger sister.

Banned
    No Doubt Tatiana Navka is beautiful! But she sometimes wears a wee bit too much makeup. Marina Anissina looks great with and without it. But I have this odd picture of my head of Nikolai Morozov with white make-up like Japanese ladies wear (Geisga girls) with red lipstick looking like Pewee Herman..........

Tripping on the Podium
    Getting my tiffin' poodle perm at Peaches Beauty Salon during FSU downtime
    You think the ladies in Ice Dance are bad? You should check out Idora Hegel of Croatia in the singles event; she has Level 3 mascara and eyeshadow .......

The only explanation that come sto my mind regarding to the make-up is something that happens in theatre, when the actors and actresses wear a lot of make-up because the heavy lights on them would make them look so pale... I dunno if this is the reason why they do it or not, though.

Fan of The Incomparable Sonja Henie Glacierskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikaru
    The only explanation that come sto my mind regarding to the make-up is something that happens in theatre, when the actors and actresses wear a lot of make-up because the heavy lights on them would make them look so pale... I dunno if this is the reason why they do it or not, though.
    I think that it has to do with the fact that they are on t.v. and the ice can also wash you out. So they don the make up to conver up, accentuate, create, whatever. I did not recorgnize Navka either in the personal bit. I do think that she is pretty and you don't really notice that she has that much makeup on when she is on the ice. Also, when you skate you sweat. The sweat proof makeup tends to be heavier.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelfsfan
    You think the ladies in Ice Dance are bad? You should check out Idora Hegel of Croatia in the singles event; she has Level 3 mascara and eyeshadow .......

Perhaps she mis-read the COP standards and thought that makeup was part of "program components".

Viktoria Pavuk looked pretty trashy last season, too. She needs to have someone take her aside and give her some tips on how to apply the stuff properly. She IS a beautiful girl, but could use some help in the cosmetics department.

It is actually correct. That make up is designed for the ice, not for TV. I know every time I put my stage make up on, I look really scary - but it looks correct from the audience. I remember helping some new comers on our team; they just wanted their make up to look pretty; what I'd tell them is "if you look at yourself in the mirror and don't see a wh*re, something is wrong". And yes, men need make up too; in the amateur performances I did that was the hardest thing - convincing men to allow us to put make up on them!

Custom Title
    I don't think any combination of lights and ice creates enough glare to require the eye makeup that La Navka wears. She looked like a cross-eyed vampire, even from a distance. She looks SO much better--and much younger--with no makeup at all.

Svetlana Kulikova must be taking makeup lessons from Navka, and she has horridly overbleached hair to go with it. She must keep a trowel in her makeup case so she could apply her makeup generously enough.She always looked to me like an escapee from a Las Vegas chorus line.

Yup, I was shocked to hear Melissa Gregory is only 23. She looks way over 30 with that hairdo and makeup. I think the operative word is "frumpy".

Irina Slutskaya looked lovely with the makeup she had on at the exhibition. But when she competes, she isn't wearing any and she looks horribly washed out. Same for Kimmie Meissner at Nationals--she looked like a spinster schoolteacher (41 instead of 14) with that prissy hairdo and no makeup. If she goes to Torino next year looking like a kid, she won't have a shot at the podium (remembering Kwan in '95).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast