Dance Ladies Make-up | Golden Skate

Dance Ladies Make-up

orchid

On the Ice
Why do the many of the ladies wear such garish makup?

Of the two items that bother me most about ice dancing is the make-up and the whipping hair. I am glad that some ladies are pinning their hair behind their ears now.

I remember each time Naomi Lang finished a routine she smiled and waved with a giant glob of hair in her mouth. Yuck.

soogar

Record Breaker
The makeup looks garish b/c it's meant for the audience to see and not for TV. It's a stretch here but I think they might also do it to emphasize their facial expressions. If they're contorting their mouths to the music it helps if the judges can see their mouths.

It can also be a trend of bad taste. A lot of the junior skaters are wearing headbands a la Navka. Navka also wears heavy makeup as well so maybe the ladies seek to emulate that winning look.

IDLERACER

Medalist
When I saw the title of this thread, the first thought that came to me was, "Gee, I didn't even know they were fighting." :biggrin:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
LOL@IDLERacer :rofl:

I only really think Tatiana Navka and Albena Denkova wear too much for my taste. I saw Tatiana applying make-up to Roman, once. :unsure:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I hardly recognized Tatiana Navka in the fluff piece without her heavy makeup on! She looked so much younger!

Kateri

On the Ice
Hmm. Melissa Gregory is 23, fergawdsakes. So why does she look 45? It's gotta be the makeup - why??

But it's not just the dance ladies.....why was the lovely teenaged Viktoria Pavuk made up to look like a 50 something hooker this year?

it's hideous! what gives?

k.

Tereza

Match Penalty
This is the funniest thread! :rofl: But I think they shouldn't wear make-up in my honest opinion. But maybe the younger girls, like Pavuk want to look more mature. But 54 yikes!!!!!!! I think Navka does look better w/o makeup, but it's her trademark to wear too much of it. I mean can you take Evgeni Plushenko from his mullet do? :p

Jill

On the Ice
I like a lot of make up! I thought Tatiana Navka looked gorgeous with her makeup on, and nothing special without it. Speaking of Tatiana, am I the only one who notices the strong resemblance to Maia Usova? I thing she could pass for Maia's younger sister.

Tereza

Match Penalty
No Doubt Tatiana Navka is beautiful! But she sometimes wears a wee bit too much makeup. Marina Anissina looks great with and without it. But I have this odd picture of my head of Nikolai Morozov with white make-up like Japanese ladies wear (Geisga girls) with red lipstick looking like Pewee Herman.......... :agree:

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
You think the ladies in Ice Dance are bad? You should check out Idora Hegel of Croatia in the singles event; she has Level 3 mascara and eyeshadow ....... :eek:

Hikaru

Final Flight
The only explanation that come sto my mind regarding to the make-up is something that happens in theatre, when the actors and actresses wear a lot of make-up because the heavy lights on them would make them look so pale... I dunno if this is the reason why they do it or not, though.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Hikaru said:
The only explanation that come sto my mind regarding to the make-up is something that happens in theatre, when the actors and actresses wear a lot of make-up because the heavy lights on them would make them look so pale... I dunno if this is the reason why they do it or not, though.

I think that it has to do with the fact that they are on t.v. and the ice can also wash you out. So they don the make up to conver up, accentuate, create, whatever. I did not recorgnize Navka either in the personal bit. I do think that she is pretty and you don't really notice that she has that much makeup on when she is on the ice. Also, when you skate you sweat. The sweat proof makeup tends to be heavier.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
michaelfsfan said:
You think the ladies in Ice Dance are bad? You should check out Idora Hegel of Croatia in the singles event; she has Level 3 mascara and eyeshadow ....... :eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Perhaps she mis-read the COP standards and thought that makeup was part of "program components".

Viktoria Pavuk looked pretty trashy last season, too. She needs to have someone take her aside and give her some tips on how to apply the stuff properly. She IS a beautiful girl, but could use some help in the cosmetics department.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
It is actually correct. That make up is designed for the ice, not for TV. I know every time I put my stage make up on, I look really scary - but it looks correct from the audience. I remember helping some new comers on our team; they just wanted their make up to look pretty; what I'd tell them is "if you look at yourself in the mirror and don't see a wh*re, something is wrong". And yes, men need make up too; in the amateur performances I did that was the hardest thing - convincing men to allow us to put make up on them!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think any combination of lights and ice creates enough glare to require the eye makeup that La Navka wears. She looked like a cross-eyed vampire, even from a distance. She looks SO much better--and much younger--with no makeup at all.

Svetlana Kulikova must be taking makeup lessons from Navka, and she has horridly overbleached hair to go with it. She must keep a trowel in her makeup case so she could apply her makeup generously enough.She always looked to me like an escapee from a Las Vegas chorus line.

Yup, I was shocked to hear Melissa Gregory is only 23. She looks way over 30 with that hairdo and makeup. I think the operative word is "frumpy".

Irina Slutskaya looked lovely with the makeup she had on at the exhibition. But when she competes, she isn't wearing any and she looks horribly washed out. Same for Kimmie Meissner at Nationals--she looked like a spinster schoolteacher (41 instead of 14) with that prissy hairdo and no makeup. If she goes to Torino next year looking like a kid, she won't have a shot at the podium (remembering Kwan in '95).

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Same for Kimmie Meissner at Nationals--she looked like a spinster schoolteacher (41 instead of 14) with that prissy hairdo and no makeup. If she goes to Torino next year looking like a kid, she won't have a shot at the podium (remembering Kwan in '95).

Yeah, Lord knows in Nagano Tara Lipinski looked about 25 instead of her usual 9..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bubbles

Rinkside
JillLaQ said:
I like a lot of make up! I thought Tatiana Navka looked gorgeous with her makeup on, and nothing special without it. Speaking of Tatiana, am I the only one who notices the strong resemblance to Maia Usova? I thing she could pass for Maia's younger sister.

I thought that without makeup, Navka looked like Elena Leonova's twin.

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
chuckm said:
I don't think any combination of lights and ice creates enough glare to require the eye makeup that La Navka wears. She looked like a cross-eyed vampire, even from a distance. She looks SO much better--and much younger--with no makeup at all.

Diva Navka looks like a cross between Gabrielle Solis from "Desperate Houswives" and Jackie Stallone, with a bit of Bride of Wildenstein thrown in for good measure ..... :biggrin:

She also started an irritating fashion trend known in figure skating circles as the "headband renaissance", which was once popular in the 60s/70s hippies era. What do a post-op tranny lookalike with botox lips and a headband have in common? :unsure:

Same for Kimmie Meissner at Nationals--she looked like a spinster schoolteacher (41 instead of 14) with that prissy hairdo and no makeup. If she goes to Torino next year looking like a kid, she won't have a shot at the podium (remembering Kwan in '95).

Meissner reminds me of Granny from "The Beverly Hillbillies" ..... scary. :eek:

Last edited:

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
JonnyCoop said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Perhaps she mis-read the COP standards and thought that makeup was part of "program components".

Viktoria Pavuk looked pretty trashy last season, too. She needs to have someone take her aside and give her some tips on how to apply the stuff properly. She IS a beautiful girl, but could use some help in the cosmetics department.

Idora Hegel needs to work on her bangs tho, they are definitely only Level 1 at best. But she has come a long way as a figure skater ..... there was a time when she had scratchy stroking, small and underrotated jumps, and was unable to do crossovers. Now she can even do a spread eagle to a double axel in her SP! :clap:

Pavuk .... well, what can I say? "Moulin Rouge" meets trailer park trash makeup? :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
michaelfsfan said:
Pavuk .... well, what can I say? "Moulin Rouge" meets trailer park trash makeup? :laugh:

She's not the worst offender I've ever seen in that department, tho, despite use last year of blue eyeliner, which needs to be banned. The leader here would have to be former World Junior Dance champion Natalia Romaniuta. Four words. -- Southern Oregon Mall Chick.

(Being more or less from Southern Oregon, I can say this and get away with it...)