Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Irina Slutskaya's Free Skate - Absolutely The Best

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar

Irina Slutskaya's Free Skate - Absolutely The Best

I was in tears when I saw her free skate aired on TV. By far the best performance ever done. The free skate is my #1 moment at worlds. Should go down in history as one of the best.

Anybody else agree?

Custom Title

Uh, I don't Think So

Irina did a nice job with her jumps and spins. But the best figure skating performance, or even one of the best, not even close. Her program lacked finesse and artistry. They stil count. It was essentially unmemorable. When she lands some of her jumps she comes to a dead stop, which makes them abrupt and lacking in beauty. She should have won because Sasha's program, while infinitely more beautiful, was flawed. Michelle's was lacking also, so the result was right but it hardly qualifies as one of the greatest performances of all time.

Rinkside
    I agree... with all of the memorable moments in World Championship history I don't understand how that could be considered the best. She didn't even do anything that would make the performance stick out. Think of Midori Ito landing the triple axel, Katarina Witt at the 87 worlds or even Michelle at the 01 worlds. Irina did skate well but we won't be talking about that performance next week let alone years from now.

Custom Title
    Irina's LP was definitely a highlight of this year's worlds. Given her health problems it was even more amazing. I will certainly be talking about it in the years to come.

This woman has gone through hell these past two years with two life-threatening diseases plus the illness of her mother. She comes into this season undefeated. By far, she is the most courageous skater I know. On of the best comebacks in the sport.

She has won $45,000 winning the gold at worlds.....her mother's kidney transplant is $50,000. The reaction at the end of her free skate at worlds says it all.

She is taking most if not all her winnings at every competition this season to pay for her medical bills and her mother's. I have not seen such a caring person my whole life. I just simply love her.

Well, while Irina is certainly courageous let's face it she has access to excellent medical care and from previous threads on this subject she does have the financial resources to pay her medical bills. As for helping her mother wouldn't any daughter do the same thing? Because she has been put in this position does not make her any more caring than anyone else would be in the same situation.

I'm just saying she has made one of the most successful comebacks in the sport

Following in the footsteps of Lance Armstrong, Scott Hamilton, and Elena B. Irina has made a great comeback.

Thank you. Let's just leave it at that.

Kudos for having such a great season

Shoe Diva
    Great topic!

Irina deserved that medal. Her free was definately one for the ages and a testiment that the mind is lazier than the body.

I have the utmost respect for her & her season.

Kwanford Wife

Irina kicked booty! She chewed up the others like a Tyrannosaurus Rex! She ran over them like a Mack Truck! You go, child!

Mathman

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I got goosebumps when she skated. Yeah Irina!!!

Dee

Custom Title
    In my eyes, Irena is as solid as a rock. What you see is what you get, no frills attached. I think that what she gets is what she works for--nothing handed to her on silver(or gold) platter. She is a very versatile--Like in her exhibition programs. You go girl

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorGalaxia518
    IBy far the best performance ever done. The free skate is my #1 moment at worlds. Should go down in history as one of the best.

Anybody else agree?
    TOTALLY AGREE, SailorG! Irina showed us a 'skate for the ages'...the TOTAL package, in balance, with the extra-added emotional factor.

Alas, it may have brought 'rain' on someone else's 'parade'....hmmm....

Custom Title
    Only those close to Irina really know the hell she's been through. The media has talked a lot about the financial burden but the emotional burden of knowing that she could lose her mom at any moment. Then be struck with finding your own health is at near jeopardy. The health burden is worse, Churg Strauss Syndrome has no cure. She can't rest her body and treat it like an injury. This illness is multifaceted and it's turned her training regimen upside down and she's had to adjust a lot.

She is a courageous woman with an incredible love of what she does. She has earned that special place in history.

I don't know if all women would do what she's done for her mother, I do think many would have looked at their own dire health issues and hung up their skates and took up some of the other easier offers she's had.

The sad thing is that her mom received a transplant last year and it failed..

No matter what the future holds, this is an athlete who deserves the accolades. Russia dearly idolizes her and deservedly so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast